polarising & ND filters, what stuff to look out for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah most filters come in all sizes.

Step up rings are about 10-15 at stalls, if u buy from mass order forum can be as cheap as 8 bucks. Most professional grade lens will be at 77mm so step up all you're non 77 lens to 77, can share filters with all lens u have. (unless u go buy 84mm ...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

haha.. never looked up on wiki on filters before though im a wikipedian. deepen my 'craving' for polariser after looking at those pics.

ok... so say i goes to PP and hunt for it, any pointers for me to avoid getting scammed (what are the common scamming tactics there)? And which are the reputable shops there?

haha.. never looked up on wiki on filters before though im a wikipedian. deepen my 'craving' for polariser after looking at those pics.

ok... so say i goes to PP and hunt for it, any pointers for me to avoid getting scammed (what are the common scamming tactics there)? And which are the reputable shops there?

I don't mean to be promoting any shops. but just as a personal reference for you. I am sure other members have their own experiences and thus their favourite shops.
I like to go to The Camera Workshop (Peninsula Shopping Centre). Look for Daniel. He is quick, thinks on his feet, and can give your answer in a split second. You should be able to get good advice and good price from Daniel at TCW.

Or go Cathay Photo. Can look for Dolly. She's been with CP for more than 20yrs. Senior and experience. Not to mention good, because she can be many of our student-buyers' grandmother already. Prices quite fixed in CP. Not necc the cheapest.

John 3:16 at Funan. Good service. Price not the cheapest.

Some will recommend MS Color at AMK. But I have no experience with that shop.

Wah. Never thought of a step up ring before. So if I buy a 72mm ND, with the step up ring, I can use it on 58mm lens also?

Can, 'lah. Your lens might look a bit funny having such a big filter in front but as long as the filter does the job, who cares? I have used 77mm CPL on a lens with 55mm front diameter, using step up rings. Works great.

ND filter from what i know doesn't allows you to adjust the amount of light. it's just simple sunglass.

Ah. So we need to decide which ND we are getting and stay with it :(

Can, 'lah. Your lens might look a bit funny having such a big filter in front but as long as the filter does the job, who cares? I have used 77mm CPL on a lens with 55mm front diameter, using step up rings. Works great.

I see. Okay, thanks for the confirmation :)

I don't mean to be promoting any shops. but just as a personal reference for you. I am sure other members have their own experiences and thus their favourite shops.
I like to go to The Camera Workshop (Peninsula Shopping Centre). Look for Daniel. He is quick, thinks on his feet, and can give your answer in a split second. You should be able to get good advice and good price from Daniel at TCW.

Or go Cathay Photo. Can look for Dolly. She's been with CP for more than 20yrs. Senior and experience. Not to mention good, because she can be many of our student-buyers' grandmother already. Prices quite fixed in CP. Not necc the cheapest.

John 3:16 at Funan. Good service. Price not the cheapest.

Some will recommend MS Color at AMK. But I have no experience with that shop.

great info. thanx.

update:

got a Hoya 55mm CPL yday. in fact abit disappointed that there's a huge 'neutral density' effect. was expecting the effect to be slight.

Last edited:
update:

got a Hoya 55mm CPL yday. in fact abit disappointed that there's a huge 'neutral density' effect. was expecting the effect to be slight.

Hey AlphaLuver, well CPL will always block off a certain quantity of light that amounts to about 2 stops. That is why it can also be used like a ND too. Don't be disappointed. I am sure after you start using it and compensating with EV adjustment, you will be in love.
Did you have to pay a lot for it? What brand finally did you get?

Hey AlphaLuver, well CPL will always block off a certain quantity of light that amounts to about 2 stops. That is why it can also be used like a ND too. Don't be disappointed. I am sure after you start using it and compensating with EV adjustment, you will be in love.
Did you have to pay a lot for it? What brand finally did you get?

i got it for S$47. Hoya.

Went out and put my cpl to the test today. ok la... the cpl works great under the sun, and the effect wasn't that big any more. very satisfied with the ability to remove the glare or to put them into the picture. thanks for the help all the while. :)

sorry for OT,
but besides blue & green, does CPL filter enhance other colors?

i got it for S$47. Hoya.

Went out and put my cpl to the test today. ok la... the cpl works great under the sun, and the effect wasn't that big any more. very satisfied with the ability to remove the glare or to put them into the picture. thanks for the help all the while. :)

You're welcome.
Heh heh... once you see the other members' posted pictures on seaside landscape, sunset, sunrise etc etc.., very soon you will be asking to buy the ND4, ND8, GND and even an ND400 filter! Just want to poison you here... Lolxxx...

sorry for OT,
but besides blue & green, does CPL filter enhance other colors?

Hi pro_FHM, I am so sorry but I really do not know the answer to this very good question of yours. Maybe we can see if any of the experienced members can share their knowledge on this.

Can anyone share their experience in using the slot type filters such as Cokin or Lee? From the looks of the design know they seems to be more versatile compared to the screw type.

Can anyone share their experience in using the slot type filters such as Cokin or Lee? From the looks of the design know they seems to be more versatile compared to the screw type.

Hi JellyBelly, how are you?
You know, my GND is of the brand Tian Ya and I got it from Dimage from the Mass Sales section. I got a filter holder that can slot in three of these square type filters, though only my GND is square. But I do, and I can slot in the round starbust filter at the same time into this filter holder. My qualms about this type of filter - simply the inconvenience of having to put in a filter holder that has gaps in between, and once when it was drizzling, all my pieces of filters got rain drops on them, instead of say, the outermost one, had I stacked them up in the screw-in type.
Anyway, I have ordered the ND8 and ND400 from TCW. You got yours already?

Hey limwhow thanks for responding!

I bought a ND8 at 3:16 a few weeks back but never did have the opportunity to use it yet. I have also been scouting around on mass sales and the shops for a 77mm ND110 but still no luck as of now... :(

Can I ask for some advice and ideas on how and when to use ND8 or greater other than the usual silky water shots?

Hey limwhow thanks for responding!

I bought a ND8 at 3:16 a few weeks back but never did have the opportunity to use it yet. I have also been scouting around on mass sales and the shops for a 77mm ND110 but still no luck as of now... :(

Can I ask for some advice and ideas on how and when to use ND8 or greater other than the usual silky water shots?

Great, JellyBelly!
I was stacking two (in fact, on occasions, three) ND4's together for the waters. No good lah, cos I do find some vignetting at the wide angle extreme when I do that, especially with three, not to mention the drop in quality.
So decided, after inspiration from you, that I surely need to get a ND8. I am going to try it out for some grass movements. (ND400 also inspiration from you!)
I think best time to try is up there in Tibet where there is lots of Barley fields - shoot them with the breeze blows for the swaying blur, against the Tibetan mountains and Traditional Tibetan houses. I will certainly try that when up there.

Oh yah, also used three ND4's (I must be crazy) pus the GND for the sunrise and sunsets. I think ND8 would serve the function well too here, in replacement of the ND4, or in addition to the ND4's.

Great, JellyBelly!
I was stacking two (in fact, on occasions, three) ND4's together for the waters. No good lah, cos I do find some vignetting at the wide angle extreme when I do that, especially with three, not to mention the drop in quality.
So decided, after inspiration from you, that I surely need to get a ND8. I am going to try it out for some grass movements. (ND400 also inspiration from you!)
I think best time to try is up there in Tibet where there is lots of Barley fields - shoot them with the breeze blows for the swaying blur, against the Tibetan mountains and Traditional Tibetan houses. I will certainly try that when up there.
Thats's a great idea! Thanks.

Can I also inspire you to share your ND400 when you have it? :p

Just kidding, I know you will have way too much fun frolicking in the flowy grass fields, savoring the frothy river banks and making pedestrians disappear to part with your new toy.

Hi Shen siung, thanks so much for the link. I read through the whole thread - great one. Makes me glad that I got the Tianya GND instead of the Cokin as Tianya hasn't got the yellow cast. But I am going to have problem with my 16-35 at the widest cos of vignetting. So that is why the new ND8 and ND400 that I am getting are of an 82mm size for this 16-35 and the Tiayna GND, well, I will just handhold it lah.

Thats's a great idea! Thanks.

Can I also inspire you to share your ND400 when you have it? :p

Just kidding, I know you will have way too much fun frolicking in the flowy grass fields, savoring the frothy river banks and making pedestrians disappear to part with your new toy.

Certainly, JellyBelly. I should have the 82-77mm step down ring for sharing with you when the ND400 comes. And I am sure you are the one who will be having all the great time up north 5000m above sea level before me!

Status
Not open for further replies.