pls recommend zoom lens for D750

tahart

May 8, 2013
Singapore
I got the kit 24- 120mm, going for beginner jungle trek in south america for 3 nights, please recommend what zoom lens should i buy?
i'm on a budget as the trip has already cost me alot.

I already tried googling for "BEST ZOOM FOR D750" but still cant decide, should I get Tamron??

Thanks

The 24-120mm kit lens that you got now is already is a great travelling lens. Very good image quality, focal length from 24mm wide to 120mm tele. f/4 fixed aperture with VR, not too heavy. Anything else to ask for?

I have traveled to many places & used it under all adverse weather, it is still alive & kicking. ;)

The 24-120mm is the best you can get for that weight/size.

Anything better, will be larger and more expensive (24-70/2.8 comes to mind) and I wouldn't recommend if you're going to be bringing on a beginner jungle trek.

I got the kit 24- 120mm, going for beginner jungle trek in south america for 3 nights, please recommend what zoom lens should i buy?

I already tried googling for "BEST ZOOM FOR D750" but still cant decide, should I get Tamron??

Thanks
why you need another zoom lens?

is 24-120m not a zoom lens?

or is 24-120mm a bad zoom lens?

ok thanks guys for the advise. appreciate

Depend on what you are expecting to shoot. If you hope to get some birding shots, get the longer zoom lens, like tamron 150-600.

Thanks

You mentioned getting a Tamron, so there must be a Tamron zoom lens that you are eyeing. Care to share which lens?

I am also equipped with the D750+25-120. Many a times used as a travelling n local walkabout lens. Recently I manage to lay my hands on a 28-300. Man I have to say the reach of the 28-300 allows me to be able to do more.... Even low light shots, it has VR to let u shoot confidently I reckon 3 stops worth. Coupled with the D750 low light ability makes it a very usable Lense.

I am also equipped with the D750+25-120. Many a times used as a travelling n local walkabout lens. Recently I manage to lay my hands on a 28-300. Man I have to say the reach of the 28-300 allows me to be able to do more.... Even low light shots, it has VR to let u shoot confidently I reckon 3 stops worth. Coupled with the D750 low light ability makes it a very usable Lense.

Hi bro fatmax,

You referring to this lens ?:
AF-S NIKKOR 28-300MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR

http://www.nikon.com.sg/en_SG/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/zoom/normal-zoom/af-s-nikkor-28-300mm-f-3-5-5-6g-ed-vr

Thanks

Hi bro fatmax, You referring to this lens ?: AF-S NIKKOR 28-300MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR http://www.nikon.com.sg/en_SG/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/zoom/normal-zoom/af-s-nikkor-28-300mm-f-3-5-5-6g-ed-vr Thanks

Yo Ryan, yes it is. There are aplenty reviews on this Super-Zoom. Good n bad all published. However from a practical user standpoint I do felt it's a deserving Lense. This Lense is readily available in the B&S market now. Making it a true value for money/quality Lense.

Happy shooting!

As much as the idea of a 28-300mm sounds great, this is one of the few lens that Nikon 'cheats' in focal length calculations.

On the 28-300, The 300mm is at infinity, at a distance of 4.5 feet (1.4m) it performs with a fov of a 150mm lens at f/5.6. So if you want the '300mm' to shoot stuff that is far away, great. But if you're planning to shoot objects less then 10m, the 24-120mm gives similar effects at f/4 and is sharper at the tele end.

There's a reason why the 24-120/4 is heavily recommended though its more expensive (traditionally before the kits pushed the resale price of 24-120/4 down) Its sharper, and for travel, the 24mm end is more important then '300mm'.

(I've owned both lens)

Yo Ryan, yes it is. There are aplenty reviews on this Super-Zoom. Good n bad all published. However from a practical user standpoint I do felt it's a deserving Lense. This Lense is readily available in the B&S market now. Making it a true value for money/quality Lense.

Happy shooting!

Thanks bro fatmax, will take a look at this lens ... cheers

I would take 24-120/4 any day, even without the kit lens-pricing.

Then I will go for this 24-120/4 as kit rather than the 750 body only bcos 810 is too expensive for me ...