Please help recommend me a camera for...

I was wondering:

If I have a 50mm f/1.8D Nikon lens - which of my mirrorless camera options above can the lens be fitted on?

aktivate said:
I was wondering:

If I have a 50mm f/1.8D Nikon lens - which of my mirrorless camera options above can the lens be fitted on?

None. U would require an adaptor. Even so, since it's an AFD lens and most if not all mirrorless cameras have no screwdrive, it will remain a MF lens.

Fudgecakes said:
None. U would require an adaptor. Even so, since it's an AFD lens and most if not all mirrorless cameras have no screwdrive, it will remain a MF lens.

Not forgetting that the smaller sensors of some mirrorless cameras will turn the angle view u get from the 50mm lens damn near the telephoto side. Whether will this occur is depend on the lens or size of your camera

aktivate said:
Pardon my ignorance & much limited knowledge on technical jargons but what's BnS? 45 f/1.8 is prime lens? If so, the lens has AF capabilities?

The "R" Kit lens comes with both EP3 and EPL3 right? Thanks.

BnS refers to the Buy and Sell segment of Clubsnap.

The 45mm f/1.8 is a prime lens. A prime lens is defined by its fixed focal length, and has no reference to its ability to auto focus.

aktivate said:
I learnt about OM-D yesterday, waaaaaaay too over my budget. I've basically narrowed down to the :

E-P3 / E-PL3 : Seems to be a very popular choice with alot of resources available online for newbies like me.
GX1 : I've seen the reviews and it seems to be a major contender
NEX-C7 : From my limited knowledge, I understand that this has the largest censor, so it probably has the best quality image? Also I learn that the price is not attractive nor is the range of lenses so theres my dilemma.
Nikon J1: Not sure about this camera but I read somewhere that it has the fastest AF in it's class.....Will read more about it today.

The next thing I recommend is to hold and feel the camera. Does it feel good? Are the buttons and menu intuitive?

aktivate said:
The Nikon D3000 I've tried has no in-body autofocus motor so imagine my frustrations when I used a prime lens on it lol. Nightmare. Out of 100 shots of my fidgety kid, perhaps 70 are blurred and those which are not blurred didn't exactly capture that particular moment lol!

Are you aware that you can easily purchase a AF-S 35mm f/1.8 or AF-S 50mm f/1.8 for less than S$350? These prime lenses can auto focus on the D3000. Then there's always the simple 18-55mm kit lens.

Fudgecakes said:

I'd imagine An adapter will be too cumbersome!

Blur Shadow said:
I'd imagine An adapter will be too cumbersome!

No doubt. It would probably be half the size of the lens :p

So mirrorless is the way to go then. Try out the cameras at the stores la. if u are afraid of the salespeople being grumpy then just go to any of the showrooms/megastores to try them out. If u had more budget I would recommend the Fuji xpro1. It has a OVF and EVF hybrid So it should be nicer to use if you like the "through the lens" look although it is not really TTL. it's focussing have been slammed as slow/inaccurate recently(forgot which) but perhaps u could consider it?

I have to say that currently the X-PRO is the most expensive hybrid rangefinder-like camera in the marker. its actually feels very solid and in the future this camera is able to mount leica lenses. but then the AF of the Fujifilm aren't that fast as the rest. but highly recommended getting the Sony NEX series or the Olympus EP/EPL 3. Good performance for the price.

@aktivate you can just forget the J1. nothing special. really. olympus got the art filter. that is the main attraction of Olympus. else, Sony had the best SLT technology with fast FPS and bigger sensor.

aktivate said:
Hi, a full DSLR is out of the qn for me. I prefer a compact & lightweight alternative (if possible).

If I really want better hit rates.. Thru the lens will be better.. For me at least.. I own both Dslr n pns.. With kids, it's always Dslr..

Thanks for all the inputs.

I've narrowed down to either the GX1 or the EP3.

Just to recap, basically i'm looking to capture candid (bokeh) photos of my baby with ease. I'm not expecting 100% capture success but at least the camera's technology should be able to help me with this.

Is the kit-lens suffice? If I wish to add another lens to improve or give me more alternatives, what would you guys recommend and also a ball-park price on these lenses that are recommended so I can start giving my mrs the heads-up and coax her alittle more lol.

i'm looking to capture candid (bokeh) photos of my baby with ease. I'm not expecting 100% capture success but at least the camera's technology should be able to help me with this.

Is the kit-lens suffice? If I wish to add another lens to improve or give me more alternatives, what would you guys recommend and also a ball-park price on these lenses that are recommended so I can start giving my mrs the heads-up and coax her alittle more lol.

Candid is not "bokeh", nor is there a "bokeh photo". Please understand that bokeh does not mean background blur. Please don't anyhow use terms you do not understand.

Considering that background blur is easier to achieve with a thinner DOF, thus a higher-aperture lens is good, I would recommend something like a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

FYI, the DOF will be thinner on a larger sensor, such as in the NEX series (which also gives you tracking AF, face detection, etc etc etc). A common complaint of m4/3 owners is that thin DOF and a blurrier background can be harder to achieve with the smaller sensor on the m4/3 cameras compared to APS-C sized sensor cameras.

Candid is not "bokeh", nor is there a "bokeh photo". Please understand that bokeh does not mean background blur. Please don't anyhow use terms you do not understand.

Considering that background blur is easier to achieve with a thinner DOF, thus a higher-aperture lens is good, I would recommend something like a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

FYI, the DOF will be thinner on a larger sensor, such as in the NEX series (which also gives you tracking AF, face detection, etc etc etc). A common complaint of m4/3 owners is that thin DOF and a blurrier background can be harder to achieve with the smaller sensor on the m4/3 cameras compared to APS-C sized sensor cameras.

Thanks for clarifying term bokeh. However, while I maybe ignorant, I certainly did not mean candid equals to bokeh - that much I know. As for the rest of my wrongful usage, I apologise.

Good to learn that complaints of m4/3 owners difficulty on the blurrier background but it is still achievable with the right lens and it's proper usage right?

Erm why not just go and get the 35mm F1.8G DX or the AFS 50mm F1.8G which can autofocus on the D3000? Just a though.

Good to learn that complaints of m4/3 owners difficulty on the blurrier background but it is still achievable with the right lens and it's proper usage right?

Yes of course it is. As for bokeh, this will depend on the lens and the quality of your composition.