Please advise. ADSL Ethernet modem or ADSL USB modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
keithjhee said:
wow..so many experts here..jst wat i looking for..i have a problem..i am using singnet the jetpack system..problem is i was given a usb modem but stated that the usb port must be intel usb port..then problem is i wanna use the modem with my fujitsu laptop, and maybe my laptop is not tt new, the usb is universal usb, not intel usb..so the modem cant work on this latop..i have checked with fujitsu, cant change usb port coz it is fixed into the laptop..so now option is to use ethernet modem..

can anyone recommend me a ethernet modem that can use for the singnet broadband and wont cost me more than $50? where is good place to buy? anyone selling 2nd hand?

tks..

Why not u just install the USB modem and see if it works...if it doesn't then try to contact Singtel for help!

alankuik said:
but looking at today's cpu processing power, it might not make so much sense to splurge on a network card that processes more by itself than relying on the cpu.

When you're running SQL with so many users accessing your harddisk (yeah, yeah... faster HDD... scsi), you need all the ram and CPU you can get.

Even the integrated network points on most serverboards use up some cpu power... I guess I'm a bit extreme lor. :sweatsm:

XXX Boy said:
Why not u just install the USB modem and see if it works...if it doesn't then try to contact Singtel for help!

tks..already tried..cant work..situation now is i have already been using my jetpack for over 1yr..coz my older laptop usb is intel usb and can work..so my small table has 2 laptops..1 for internet..1 for photograph n work..now is i wanna to keep away the old laptop n just use 1 for all purpose..

tks for help..

keith... if u can wait.... normall PC show / SITEX / COmex / ITshow will have vendors clearning their old ethernet modem stock.
it's usually at $20 bucks plus minus a bit. :)

there's a show cumming up in early march.

Last time the sales promoter told me that Athlon CPU may not compatible with the USB modem and advice me to top up another 40 bucks for the Ethernet modem...

I think it's bull ****..nevertheless I still bought the Ethernet 1..haha

Regardless of USB or Ethernet..I think it is not the main issue for connection speed. The bottleneck is on the plan u subscribe and the server u r surfing on.

rainman,

yeap... however, there are certain compatiblity issues encountered with VIA based motherboards / non-intel chipset motherboards on USB modems.

keithjhee said:
wow..so many experts here..jst wat i looking for..i have a problem..i am using singnet the jetpack system..problem is i was given a usb modem but stated that the usb port must be intel usb port..then problem is i wanna use the modem with my fujitsu laptop, and maybe my laptop is not tt new, the usb is universal usb, not intel usb..so the modem cant work on this latop..i have checked with fujitsu, cant change usb port coz it is fixed into the laptop..so now option is to use ethernet modem..

can anyone recommend me a ethernet modem that can use for the singnet broadband and wont cost me more than $50? where is good place to buy? anyone selling 2nd hand?

tks..

Have you installed the modem driver? and what OS are you running on your fujitsu?

keithjhee said:
tks..already tried..cant work..situation now is i have already been using my jetpack for over 1yr..coz my older laptop usb is intel usb and can work..so my small table has 2 laptops..1 for internet..1 for photograph n work..now is i wanna to keep away the old laptop n just use 1 for all purpose..

tks for help..

Wah!!! Mr Jhee, ur old laptop can put at my place temporarily. Friend so long liao, I dun charge you rental for the table space. :sticktong

Back to your topic, you can get second hand ethernet modem and routers at hardwarezone. The deals can be quite good there... if you are patient.

xieyuqi said:
Wah!!! Mr Jhee, ur old laptop can put at my place temporarily. Friend so long liao, I dun charge you rental for the table space. :sticktong

Back to your topic, you can get second hand ethernet modem and routers at hardwarezone. The deals can be quite good there... if you are patient.

Mr ITCY..hehe..ya..soon i give it to u as a free paper-weight.. ;p

to the rest..tks for advise..i will wait for PC show or try get a 2nd hand..if anyone wanna sell, please PM me..

my fujitsu is XP home..actually the jetpack box got stated the usb modem can only be use on intel chipset usb port..wat i cant imagine is my laptop dunt have..some older n newer fujitsu models i use all have intel usb..only mine no.. :cry:

Me using a USB modem (Aztech), bought for S$20 in Yahoo Auction. Almost a year now never had any problem. Installation is just as easy as normal modem. If you're using faster PC the CPU resource used by USB modem is negligible. Using AMD XP 2500 no problem at all, PC never slow down. Why I choose USB, it's so cheap compared to Ethernet ones, no external power supply needed.

If ISP giving you FOC, get a Ethernet version :)

hi

thanks to all. gain a lot from this thread. took the ethernet modem but it auto log on to the net after i boot up?

normal?

KNIGHT ONG said:
Which modem you brought and how much ??

I am looking for USB for my PC nd ethernet connection for my apple PB ... :D

Currently using ADSL modem only USB for my pc .. :(

Time to upgrade ... :)

Aztech 305EU is able to connect pc and apple.
Tried and tested. :thumbsup:
Easy configuration too,cost around $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.