Planning for the D60 and a good value starting lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Java_Guru

Thx. I'm preparing the budget to achieve the objective. I think I will budget 1000 for the lense(s).

At least half the old birds here will be vulnearable to the D60. Probably 1/5 will make the switch this year I predict. ;)
HAHHAHA buy buy buy

buy buy buy!

buy.jpg

My buying strategy will NOT to buy when d60 ships (Apr/May). But probably after September by then the D100 should be out and exert more downward pressure.
hehe, dont wait, man! Life is short so make the best use of it. You may lose some more money but you cannot affort losing time;p

Originally posted by tomshen

hehe, dont wait, man! Life is short so make the best use of it. You may lose some more money but you cannot affort losing time;p

I also need the time to save mah......

Well, Java_Guru, some good news for you. DP Review is saying that the D60 is officially selling for US$2199.

Click here for more info.

:Later,

Looks like a bumper year for 3rd party lens manufacturers as buyers of digi-SLRs have no money left to buy 'L' or AF-S lenses....

Do you really need the D60? Remember, within a year, you'll have many used D60s on the market, and D30 prices would have dropped to a very affordable range. I've seen excellent 8x10's made from a D30. If you are not going to print beyond 8x10" then you might consider a D30 instead.
  • Ultra wide angle lenses : I have only used the Canon 15mm fisheye and the Sigma 15-30 AF DG DX EX FX whatever. The Canon fisheye is a superb performer. Excellent sharpness and colour rendition throughout the frame (I shoot film). The Sigma gave me mediocre results with film, and a distinct warm cast.
  • Wide lenses : The Canon 20/2.8 and 24/2.8 are excellent performers. I chose the 24/2.8 because of the small size, light weight and because it takes cheap 58mm filters. Of course, it might not be wide enough on a D30/D60, but it's ideal with a film camera.
  • Mid range zoom : When I travel light I use the Canon 28-105 USM. It's a pretty decent lens and very light. If I need a faster lens, I'd be looking at the Tokina 28-80 f/2.8. You do get Sigma/Tamron/Tokina 28-200/300 zooms but all these megazooms I've used have been uniformly mediocre at best and garbage at worst.
  • Long lens : I've used a 100-400L for a while. Superb performer, and gives me excellent 16x20" prints. It set me back by $2380. If you don't want to spend that much, there are several used 70-200/2.8L's on the market for between $1400-$1600. An alternative is the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM which I haven't tried. You'd do well to avoid the cheaper lenses like the Tamron 70-300, Canon 75-300 USM etc. The only lens I'd consider in this range is the Canon 75-300IS because of the IS, though image quality is not reported to be stellar at the long end.
  • You might want to consider a couple of long, fast prime lenses instead of a do it all zoom like the 100-400. I purchased a 200/2.8L (used) for a very reasonable price. You should find one for around $750-800. A used 300 f/4 L (non-IS) would cost you around $1200++. These lenses are small, light and fast. Though the 70-200/2.8 and 100-400L are superb performers, they are huge and heavy.

Nikon is going to be later and likely more expensive becoz it is expected this is a new product run (high r&d cost). Also, Nikon accessories are expensive. Just explain the 25 dollar lense cap to me. I lost faith the moment I heard it. :)-

I can explain. The reason for the Nikon lens cap to be 25 dollars (btw, is it in US or Sing dollars?) is because you look "fresh" and is thought to be cheatable by the seller. Seriously, Nikon lens cap is not that expensive. I bought my 62mm cap at just S$15, and I know it can be bought even cheaper. Maybe the 77mm is more expensive, but my friend bought them at no 25 dollars (be it US or Sing dollar).

Originally posted by kamwai

wrong...should be SAVE SAVE SAVE!!

dun save where got $$ to buy DSLR

How about buy sell, buy sell...buy...sell...

Originally posted by Kho King

How about buy sell, buy sell...buy...sell...

That's upgrading....need to sell then have $$ to buy...but i think i sell away my F707 with so much accessories also not enough for a 2nd hand D30 body...that's why need to SAVE SAVE SAVE!

......now is SAVE and work part time for the $$$$. Any one need a free lance Java Programmer? I'm Sun certified.

......now is SAVE and work part time for the $$$$. Any one need a free lance Java Programmer? I'm Sun certified.

wah !!! ... you are really photography SIAO .. :D

have u consider which lens to get ?

Status
Not open for further replies.