Phuket Island Tour with Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan1996

Sep 29, 2005
Singapore, Clementi
I am going to Phuket this Friday. Friend told me not to bring camera when going for the island tour as there are a very high chance of getting the camera wet.

So the question is "To Bring or Not to Bring" camera on their island tour? :dunno:

alan1996 said:
I am going to Phuket this Friday. Friend told me not to bring camera when going for the island tour as there are a very high chance of getting the camera wet.

So the question is "To Bring or Not to Bring" camera on their island tour? :dunno:

Nonsense... u'll regret not having a camera when u're there...

alan1996 said:

this is when a underwater housing comes in handy .... who said such housings are used only in water. I usually put my digicam in the housing and no elements can abuse it :) ...IMHO, protect your investments when you are going to a enviroment with lots of dust, sand , water .....etc. Moreoever, should your camera with a UW housing drops into the sea, it will float :devil: ...just ensure your O-ring is in good condition to prevent flooding.

Hmmm.... noted you are using D70...ask around if you can borrow such a casing ...of cos, at a fee lo ..nth is free .. i am sure we ve some helpful CSers in here

Bring along a weather-proof Olympus camera! :)

Buy travel insurance, spoilt just claim for a new one.:lovegrin:

Can bring your spoilt one along too.

soma said:
Buy travel insurance, spoilt just claim for a new one.:lovegrin:

Can bring your spoilt one along too.

Have check Travel Insurance, it only pays up to a max of $500 per item. :(

AhV said:
this is when a underwater housing comes in handy .... who said such housings are used only in water. I usually put my digicam in the housing and no elements can abuse it :) ...IMHO, protect your investments when you are going to a enviroment with lots of dust, sand , water .....etc. Moreoever, should your camera with a UW housing drops into the sea, it will float :devil: ...just ensure your O-ring is in good condition to prevent flooding.

Hmmm.... noted you are using D70...ask around if you can borrow such a casing ...of cos, at a fee lo ..nth is free .. i am sure we ve some helpful CSers in here

Have think of that. However, the underwater housing is too expensive. Some cost around the price of a D70s. The housing also weights a lot. In water, the weight is ok but on land :bigeyes:.

It there any housing that is light and where can I find (or rent) one?

just bring along and use some common sense... put it in bag or plastic bag when not in use, if you getting out the boat, pass to someone to hold for u 1st etc..

I just went there between 3 Oct to 7 Oct. Belive me, u will sure regret if you dun bring camera. I went to James Bond Island in a Yellow Banana boat. Water sure splash into the boat. No doubts abt that. Just make sure your lens faces down all the time. No prob liao. I brought my Nikon F80 with a 24-85mm Lens.

After u return to hotel, use a wet towel and clean the surface. Blow the lens off sands and salt and clean accordingly. That's all.

If you are still concern, send your camera+lens for general servicing when you return to Singapore.

Well, don't think you would go diving with your camera bag right? so if the situation is not suitable for photography, just leave your camera in your camera bag.

See my Avatar --> Thats James Bond Island! How to take this picture if you dun bring camera??? mai tu liao, just do it.

Bernard Ong said:
I just went there between 3 Oct to 7 Oct. Belive me, u will sure regret if you dun bring camera. I went to James Bond Island in a Yellow Banana boat. Water sure splash into the boat. No doubts abt that. Just make sure your lens faces down all the time. No prob liao. I brought my Nikon F80 with a 24-85mm Lens.

After u return to hotel, use a wet towel and clean the surface. Blow the lens off sands and salt and clean accordingly. That's all.

If you are still concern, send your camera+lens for general servicing when you return to Singapore.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

The reason I ask this question is because Phuket is now entering the last few weeks of raining season. I was told that during this season (or this time), the sea is very rough and there was known cases of people being throw :bigeyes: out of the boat while on a island to island tour. I would not be able to replace my D70 if any thing happens to it and most Travel Insurance cover up to $500 per item only. Once you are in the tour agent’s car, as they pick you up from the hotel for the island tour, you would not be able to return the camera to your room. :sweat:

:think: Come to think of it I am more worry about the camera being damage, when being thrown overboard, than I not knowing how to swim. :wink:

hmmm, in that case, what abt bringing a compact consumer camera? Buy some good films and shoot. Will not be too heart broken if spoilt.

During my visit there, there were short drizzlings in the mornings and late afternoons.

Unless you are driving the water scooter yourself or going to talk photos of the corals and fishes yourself - bring the camera along lah.

A safer way of transporting your precious camera - Zip lock bag. I think they are about $3.50 for a box of 10 big sized. Had used this method for years, since my backpacking days.

have a nice holdiay.

how can you not bring your camera.

I was there last month. After booking the airticket and hotel just to realize that Phuket is in rainy season, of the 4 days that I would be there, forecasted to have thunder storm everyday. Matter of fact, all I got was a couple of drizzles. Don't forget to see the FantacyAsia and Simon Cabarette. See my photos here:

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=20&ACCOUNT=13230

Yah, enjoy your stay at Phuket. Its a beautiful island. I stayed at Holiday Inn hotel. Very nice service. Really enjoyed facilities to the fullest.

Status
Not open for further replies.