Photojournalism in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Emphasis added)

So, that suggests that I'm not a true photojournalist then? :(

There are plenty of journalists (non-photographers) out there that do not necessarily undertake investigative work, or non-commissioned work. Does that make them any less of a journalist?

A photojournalist as far as I'm aware is someone who practises journalism through the medium of pictures, without there being any requirement on them being involved in investigative work.

Sure, investigative journalism (photographic or otherwise) is the glamourous wing of the profession, a bit like barristers are the glamour wing of the legal department. But a solicitor is still very much a true lawyer in the same way that I would hope that even though I get directed to most of my work by an office, I am still a photojournalist.

To suggest that anyone who does not look for their own stories and have them published is not a "true" photojournalist is a bit of a slap in the face. I might get sent to cover X story, but it is my story to tell when I am there, using my insight and my photos.

And with regards to the multimedia presentations that you are speaking of, then in theory that goes beyond photojournalism. It includes journalism, video (is videojournalism a term?), etc. If anything I could argue that "true" photojournalism remains true to its purests roots - ie utilising photos alone.

I know your comment is not directed at me personally (or at least I don't think it was) but as I said, it's hard not to interpret it as a slap in the face for me and the vast majority of my colleagues.

I guess there are certain types of photographers that would argue similarly that it's not "true" photography if it's not shot on a certain brand of camera equipment.

:dunno:

Jed,what u say is really true! After all photojournalist or not, it;s still about making a living at the ned of the day.
I;m not questioning the integrity of some super famous photographers but say someone like James Nachtwey.He gets paid good money for the assignments he's sent to.If he were to look for his own stories n not sold a single one of them,would he be where he is now? Of course this is my very subjective comments.

I would also add that a true photojournalist would look for their own stories, shoot them, record sound of those stories and have them published.

The biggest thing now is no longer to have print editions put into news papers.

The thing now is to have media presentations of your story uploaded onto websites. NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Magnum photographers are all doing that.

If you want to know what the true photojournalists are doing, do a websearch on mediastorm and you´ll see amazing stories there including interviews and still images.

that's a huge, huge call. especially with the emphasis on the word 'true'

I am a sports photographer so my number of shifts tends to be measured in number per week rather than number per day :p I do shoot news for a different agency but I am based in the far flung reaches of the UK so it's not often that national interest stories come my way. The regional papers have never had money to offer shifts and the situation hasn't gotten any better with the economic situation!

The industry is a little turbulent. Newspapers have made cuts across the board, and certainly shifts are virtually impossible to come by unless you already had a working relationship with the company (newspaper or agency). We've had redundancies, both journalist and photographer, while freelancers are finding it difficult to sell images as newspapers tighten the purse strings - if they can make do with a "free" picture then they'll make do with a free picture.

Not particularly rosy if I'm altogether honest.

journalist redundancies? thats a surprise! there's journalist openings almost every 2nd month around the country, though not at the major broadsheets/tabloids, but at the regional papers there seems to be openings every once in a while. i've never seen a photography job advertised in years though.

i just think its too unstable as a freelancer, whereas if you are a staffer at a paper u often end up producing churnalism. (depending on your organisation though). many papers these days appear to want photographers instead of photojournalists. i hope i am wrong though

(Emphasis added)

So, that suggests that I'm not a true photojournalist then? :(

There are plenty of journalists (non-photographers) out there that do not necessarily undertake investigative work, or non-commissioned work. Does that make them any less of a journalist?

A photojournalist as far as I'm aware is someone who practises journalism through the medium of pictures, without there being any requirement on them being involved in investigative work.

Sure, investigative journalism (photographic or otherwise) is the glamourous wing of the profession, a bit like barristers are the glamour wing of the legal department. But a solicitor is still very much a true lawyer in the same way that I would hope that even though I get directed to most of my work by an office, I am still a photojournalist.

To suggest that anyone who does not look for their own stories and have them published is not a "true" photojournalist is a bit of a slap in the face. I might get sent to cover X story, but it is my story to tell when I am there, using my insight and my photos.

And with regards to the multimedia presentations that you are speaking of, then in theory that goes beyond photojournalism. It includes journalism, video (is videojournalism a term?), etc. If anything I could argue that "true" photojournalism remains true to its purests roots - ie utilising photos alone.

I know your comment is not directed at me personally (or at least I don't think it was) but as I said, it's hard not to interpret it as a slap in the face for me and the vast majority of my colleagues.

I guess there are certain types of photographers that would argue similarly that it's not "true" photography if it's not shot on a certain brand of camera equipment.

:dunno:

First things first...

My post is not directed at anyone but it is what is happening in the US and I´ve been here for the last 2 years. I also have met some of the biggest names in the photojournalism industry in a workshop once before. Imagine meeting the former photo editor for National Geographic Society for example.

I guess in the market in the UK it is different from how it is like here in the US. Jed is more of a sports photojournalist, but others focuses more on social ills and society as a whole.

In Singapore, I guess it is more of what is happening and the stories are given to you to shoot. In the US, you are required to look for your own stories and sell those stories to news organizations. That is the difference.

Jed,what u say is really true! After all photojournalist or not, it;s still about making a living at the ned of the day.
I;m not questioning the integrity of some super famous photographers but say someone like James Nachtwey.He gets paid good money for the assignments he's sent to.If he were to look for his own stories n not sold a single one of them,would he be where he is now? Of course this is my very subjective comments.

James Nachtwey has to pitch his own stories to the organisations that he is associated with. Then again, most of the time they are accepted just because of who James Natchwey is period and those organisations are willing to pay for them.

Currently, I am in Chile in South America with my Class from Brooks Institute for 7 weeks. We are here to shoot stories and for me in particular, I consider myself more of a travel documentarian.

If anyone is interested, I could meet up with you guys in the later part of December to show you what I have shot and how the images are going to be used.

I would most likely post a thread to see if anyone is interested to meet up then.

I guess in the market in the UK it is different from how it is like here in the US. Jed is more of a sports photojournalist, but others focuses more on social ills and society as a whole.

In Singapore, I guess it is more of what is happening and the stories are given to you to shoot. In the US, you are required to look for your own stories and sell those stories to news organizations. That is the difference.

As I said, I didn't think you were directing your comment at me, so I was trying not to take it personally :p But it was still directed against the work I and many others do. Also as I mentioned I have been doing work for a news agency for a while now as well.

I can well imagine the difference in the US, but surely not every working press photographer has to look for their own stories and sell it? There must be staffers around who get told, go cover that story, 365 days a year. Are they not therefore "true" photojournalists?

If it's different in the UK and Singapore, are we not "true" photojournalists.

Particularly as it seems you're studying something related I can see where your viewpoint comes from, though. I completed my Masters in 2006 and if anything my vitriol towards modernism intensified, but I did a lot of work on PJs through the years and their iconic images, so I'm acquainted with their virtues. I guess though, that having worked with so many "everyday" PJs my respect for them (generally, not just the ones I know) has greatly increased, and they are every bit trying to tell stories with their own unique personal slant even if they don't have to look for the stories themselves.

Currently, I am in Chile in South America with my Class from Brooks Institute for 7 weeks. We are here to shoot stories and for me in particular, I consider myself more of a travel documentarian.

If anyone is interested, I could meet up with you guys in the later part of December to show you what I have shot and how the images are going to be used.

I would most likely post a thread to see if anyone is interested to meet up then.

WOW-Chile! I was there at this time n had a great time! Such a geographically diverse country. Hope u have a chance to pop over to Patagonia n the Atacama region. Have fun

WOW-Chile! I was there at this time n had a great time! Such a geographically diverse country. Hope u have a chance to pop over to Patagonia n the Atacama region. Have fun

Any advice on how to go to the Atacama region? As far as I know, there are only two options. Fly it or Bus it.

I know that its out of topic.

Last edited:
Any advice on how to go to the Atacama region? As far as I know, there are only two options. Fly it or Bus it.

I know that its out of topic.

Hi Agape01,I think flying is the better option unless u have limited budget but got loads of time coz the bus journey's at least 20++ hrs to anywhere up north.
If u can try to cross over to Bolivia to the Salar De Uyuni from Atacama,Chile. Get yr Bolivian visa at Santiago though.Heard many wonderful things about the trip but couldn't do it because I didn;t have enough time left:cry:

perhaps you guys might interested with this site

Hi Agape01,I think flying is the better option unless u have limited budget but got loads of time coz the bus journey's at least 20++ hrs to anywhere up north.
If u can try to cross over to Bolivia to the Salar De Uyuni from Atacama,Chile. Get yr Bolivian visa at Santiago though.Heard many wonderful things about the trip but couldn't do it because I didn;t have enough time left:cry:

Would love to see your shots if you got any to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.