PetaPixel Photographic Series Explores Climate Change in Greenland and Antarctica

RSSNewsFeeder

Apr 9, 2018
The World
www.clubsnap.com
global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-1-1-800x533.jpg

In an attempt to spread awareness of climate change, conceptual artist Patricia Carr Morgan has published a series of images that depicts ice and glaciers melting in Greenland and Antarctica.

Morgan, based in Arizona, has had her work exhibited in museums and galleries across the U.S. and in China, and her latest ongoing project, titled “I love you don’t leave me,” is a multi-disciplinary body of work that explores climate change. One of its chapters, “Ice: Greenland and Antarctica,” is photography-based and is also source material for the larger project as well as for many other series the artist creates.

The driving force behind the larger project was Morgan’s first visit to Antarctica, which was more impactful than the artist had ever imagined. Morgan explains that she was overwhelmed by the “beauty and sublime majesty” experienced there.

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-3-533x800.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-2-533x800.jpg

She says, “Antarctica was love at first sight for me and it was slowly disappearing.” After this journey, Morgan also traveled to Greenland, where she also experienced first-hand the dramatic climate change occurring right in front of her, and it was this realization that urged the artist to create the larger body of climate-focused work.

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-7-800x533.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-5-800x583.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-6-800x533.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-8-800x544.jpg

Photography is one part of Morgan’s work, and even though it may not be the primary process used, the artist says that “it’s usually present in some way.” This visual medium has been important for the artist ever since she discovered how photography encompasses one’s personality and style through the choices that are made throughout every step of the process, from deciding on the composition to the presentation of the final work, creating a very personal statement.

This made it the perfect vehicle for my expression of love and loss. When put alongside my conceptual and experimental explorations in “I love you don’t leave me,” these images more directly evoke the sublime nature of these glacial landscapes.

In her search for an appropriate way to express her concerns about global warming, Morgan found photography to be most suitable. It allowed her to show the beauty and grandiosity she experienced and the sorrow she felt during her visit, which she hopes will be also shared by the viewers when they view her images and the project as a whole.

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-9-800x568.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-10-800x533.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-11-800x533.jpg

global-warming-morgan-climate-photography-petapixel-12-800x533.jpg

Currently, the artist is in the early stages of turning this project into a traveling exhibition with the Tucson Museum of Art, and she hopes that she can bring her climate-focused body of work “to environments around the country to reveal how we’re all connected to these glaciers and the planet as a whole.”

The full project with all of the included chapters can be seen on Morgan’s website.

Image credits: All images by Patricia Carr Morgan and used with permission.

Continue reading...