Photo event of the year! 2 months cats slaughtering festival!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgo said:
That's not what I mean. I think wild cats should be put at a controlled level. If they've became pests, the numbers should be controlled. The act of feeding them should be eliminated too.

I'm an animal lover, but if they're pest, they should be controlled.

there are programmes to control the catz population, such as this....

btw, if HDB allows home owners to keep catz at home, there'll be less catz on the streets.

do yrself a favour, read this website, understand their work, before you make any judgement...

Virgo said:
The thing is: they SHOULD NOT be fed at all! Feeding them causes them to be reliant to humans for food. You only feed animals when you want to keep them at your home as pets. As what I've mentioned before, we need to differenciate between stray and home cats. We don't feed stray cats at all. Cleaning up the leftovers is NOT an option, unless they're your pet, and we keep pets AT HOME.

Wow how draconian and authoritarian. You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Orwell, would you?

:thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Uncle Catz: I don't think my views to stop feeding the cats has got any conflicts with how we can control the cats by sterilisation.

G-man: we're discussing about how to keep stray cats at a controlled level, and that's what each one of us should be doing. It's nothing to do with draconian and authoritarian. I'm not a government offical, I just wanted to see we as responsible citizens do what we should.

I'm neither against cats nor cat lovers, and torturing and killing them isn't my cup of tea either. I'm just expressing my views on how to bring stray cats to a manageable level so that such sad cases don't happen in the future.

Enough said, I have expressed my views and I'll let the matter rest.

Why?? Is there a new disease "CAT FLU" in tampines??? Heartless people !!! :<

Ultimately, its all about a single word - RESPONSIBILITY.

Though do not have any pets, but I love dogz. How many times do we hear, experienced and see things like, "Mr A juz bought a cat/dog/fish." the following week, "*tsk* Too troublesome liaoz my pet. It ran off." (or put simply, "I dumped it").

I'm not sure about animal education here, but I don't think new pet owners go thru a pep talk by AVA or SPCA to show them what would happen IF they were to dump a pet (probably show a movie and show them the actual process of lethal injection). It would be good if new/potential pet owners go thru pep talks like these. It would also lower the number of strays on the streets in the long run.

Sounds kinda like a talk out of a silly, idealistic philosopher huh? Juz woke up BTW. :bsmilie:

TTC cull the cats because people complain that they are pests, people complain to TTC that it is inhumane and cruel. So how to draw the line here?

Last time I remembered SG culled the crows because they were being a pest to the residents. And how come they became a pest? People left them too much food and their population ballooned. People are always ok with aniimals until they turn into pests.

It is cruel to kill them, but there is also a need to reduce their numbers. You can say neuter them and stop them from reproducing but then you think SG will spend so much time and effort when culling would be so much more efficient. Even if using neutering, there will be ppl complaining why go through so much trouble when TTC can use the money for better uses.

See from the other side.

Virgo said:
Uncle Catz: I don't think my views to stop feeding the cats has got any conflicts with how we can control the cats by sterilisation.

G-man: we're discussing about how to keep stray cats at a controlled level, and that's what each one of us should be doing. It's nothing to do with draconian and authoritarian. I'm not a government offical, I just wanted to see we as responsible citizens do what we should.

I'm neither against cats nor cat lovers, and torturing and killing them isn't my cup of tea either. I'm just expressing my views on how to bring stray cats to a manageable level so that such sad cases don't happen in the future.

Enough said, I have expressed my views and I'll let the matter rest.
we need more ppl like you so that we can kill rodents and cockroaches.

As G Man said the thread was written with a heavy sense of sacarsm. To give everyone a clearer picture of what is happening.

The Cat Welfare Society, a non profit animal welfare group and SPCA has been working with various Town Councils to implement a TNRM (Trap Neuter Release Management) in which strays are trapped, castrated and released. (More on the program later). For Tampines Town Council, they have not only not entertained any appeals or invitations to join the program, they would not even talk to representative from Cat Welfare. Finally the last agreement was that no sterlized cats would be put down. This is a an agreement that is on going between various town councils and the 2 organisations.

On the first day of the operation, however an obviously sterlized cat was caught and a caregiver tried to get it release to no avail. She went to the Town Council and was given a merry go round, push from dept to dept and finally told all officers in charge of project on leave or on mc. (Tell me which project goes on esp on day one and all in charge officers are not around??) Luckily in the end the cat was released after much appealing.

1) Cats are not strays, they are mostly abandoned home pets. Result of HDB's policy of no cats allowed. Neighbours complain and residents that are irresponsible decide to throw their cats out the house. Hence creating strays.

2) Cats managed to survive in the wild because naturally they have not reached 100 percent domestication like dogs which will find a hard time finding food and are generally found in bad shape without their owners.

3) Currently there is a Trap, Neuter, Release Management or TNRM program in which volunteers are trapping cats and neutering or castrating for those who dont know what is neuter and then releasing them. Castration eliminates problems such as howling, mating calls, spraying of urine. The reasons being the cats no longer produce the hormones that make them get crazy during mating season and become literally walking carpets that sleep, eat and just laze around.

4) Getting rid of cats in an area will only result in new cats moving in from other areas. Leaving sterlized cats in the area prevents this as the existing cats will guard their territory. Hence massive culling will only backfire as you leave a big space gap for cats from other territories to move in a breed. Unless you do a 100 percent island wide cull and poison every single cat. There will be cats.

5) Finally I believe that we have 2 statues of the kuchinta at the Singapore River. It's so ironic that we honour and remember the Singapore Cat and yet on the other hand we are working towards 100 percent elimination of cats. It's like an Statue of the American Bald Eagle being proudly displayed at Capital Hill and the other hand the bird is being shot by farmers as Vermin.

6) We created this strays and its our responsiblity towards them. TRNM is hoping that we can sterlized all the cats and hence let the cat population die out naturally. Cats are living creatures like us, I for one dont think that you "delete" it when it has become a problem.

7) For the point by one member here that TC wont spend money on neutering, for all here to know, the TRNM project is fully funded by volunteers and not a single government dollar or tax payer dollar is used. Volunteers pay for sterlization and vets offer hefty discounts and the program has been successful for a few years. The only task of TC is to inform pest control that all sterlized cats (Identifed by a clipped ear, means the tip of ear is cut off) are not to be caught. Town Council dont have to do a single other thing.

P.S for those who say feeding is wrong. Irresponsible feeding is but responsible feeding draws cats away from your homes and make sure they dont need to go near your homes to find food. And SM Goh did say that feeding is not illegal just feed responsibly.

TMC said:
...It is cruel to kill them, but there is also a need to reduce their numbers. You can say neuter them and stop them from reproducing but then you think SG will spend so much time and effort when culling would be so much more efficient. Even if using neutering, there will be ppl complaining why go through so much trouble when TTC can use the money for better uses.

See from the other side.
er, wat makes u think e $$ to sterilise the catz comes frm the council fund?
go 2 my earlier post to Virgo n read tt link.... pls, n see wat tis side is all abt.

i agree there's some irresponsible feeding tt cd have caused unhappiness amgst e residents, but culling e catz is NEVER a solution.
enuf said, e only way to control e catz population is thru sterilisation. to hv a clean living environment, educate e feeders to feed responsibly.
as 4 e other side, just be tolerance.....e earth is not just abt humans u know?

uncle_catz said:
er, wat makes u think e $$ to sterilise the catz comes frm the council fund?
go 2 my earlier post to Virgo n read tt link.... pls, n see wat tis side is all abt.

i agree there's some irresponsible feeding tt cd have caused unhappiness amgst e residents, but culling e catz is NEVER a solution.
enuf said, e only way to control e catz population is thru sterilisation. to hv a clean living environment, educate e feeders to feed responsibly.
as 4 e other side, just be tolerance.....e earth is not just abt humans u know?
Totally agree with u... E earth is not jus abt humans :thumbsup: Does killing of cat really solve everything :think: ??

Think we should sterilize the ppl who dump their pets in the first place.. ppl like that should not be allowed to reproduce :nono:

I invite all to take photos and if you are out in the streets taking photos and all, why not drop by tampines and document this event and send the pics to the press, maybe can even do an exhibition next time. I am sure images of cats being stuffed into gunny sacks, grabbed by the neck or legs would make really good pictures that will show everyone what does culling really mean.

The TNRM seems like a plausable initiative and indeed (or finally) a more humane way of downsizing cat population. Just a reminder, though, that the repercussion is the diminishing Singapore Cat. 30 yrs down the road, it probably becomes extinct and we have to import them from overseas breeders.

The more we try to change nature, the less would nature wants us.

As for my view on cat feeders:
Cat feeders do have a positive role in providing proper nutrition to strays. It reduces diseases (caused by malnutrition) and makes them healthy. Whether with or without cat feeders, these strays will scavenge for food and live on. Would you prefer to see healthy cats on the streets or sickly diseased stricken cats that your kids might chance upon to play with?

contaxable said:
The TNRM seems like a plausable initiative and indeed (or finally) a more humane way of downsizing cat population. Just a reminder, though, that the repercussion is the diminishing Singapore Cat. 30 yrs down the road, it probably becomes extinct and we have to import them from overseas breeders.

The more we try to change nature, the less would nature wants us.

As for my view on cat feeders:
Cat feeders do have a positive role in providing proper nutrition to strays. It reduces diseases (caused by malnutrition) and makes them healthy. Whether with or without cat feeders, these strays will scavenge for food and live on. Would you prefer to see healthy cats on the streets or sickly diseased stricken cats that your kids might chance upon to play with?
nicely said!

Hello? Is this for real or what? Is there anything we can do to stop this?
Please clarify if the information is a just a joke or for real. We need to stop this.

Its for real and has already started. Spoke to some Tampines residents and they are in uproar over the issue. Seems that town council is systematically eliminating all cats in Tampines. Press knows about the issue but has not reported on it.... sigh.... tell me about free press.

'Dear tampines residents, pls be informed we will be meeting mr mah on monday 4sept at blk209 around 9-10pm. pls show your support for our community cats. it concerns your money and the cats' lives. pls support!'

Got this msg from a forum. There will be a meet the town council officers tonight. Not too clear but the Mr Mah could be minister Mah Bow Tan!!! Tampines is his area.

sigh... another round of killing. Whatever did the cats do this time?

My appeal still stands. Let the serial cat killer go free in tempines instead. At least all he can kill is several cats over a few months. This will appease the Gods, as opposed to a frequent mass culling session which will wipe more cats.

Confirmed the Mr Mah is Minister Mah Bow Tan. Seems good that some action is finally taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.