Photo Competition LCA2005!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ntupvs said:
Hello Yjx.

Please submit pictures at least of 2000 by 1325 pixels in size. That would do.

NTUPVS

so if i send in a 2000 x 2000 pixels pic, it is ok? note that this is not the usually 3:2, or 4:5 ratio.

1911 said:
so if i send in a 2000 x 2000 pixels pic, it is ok? note that this is not the usually 3:2, or 4:5 ratio.

Of course it's ok.
As long as the longer side is 2000 pixels.

NTUPVS

NTUPVS: i've pmed u. anyway, any of u guys experienced this?

i managed to upload a 2.3mb photo in less than 1 min. abt 30secs. thats abnormal man. so i thought my internet connection was screwed and uploaded again. and also, i didn get any confirmation email. any of u got the confirmation emails?

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
NTUPVS: i've pmed u. anyway, any of u guys experienced this?

i managed to upload a 2.3mb photo in less than 1 min. abt 30secs. thats abnormal man. so i thought my internet connection was screwed and uploaded again. and also, i didn get any confirmation email. any of u got the confirmation emails?

The server is a dedicated one with more than sufficient bandwidth to cater to an organization of a few thousand people. That is probably the reason you have experienced extraordinary upload speeds. If you are on the NTU domain, the transfer would be even faster.

Please check your PM as I have asked for your registration name and entry title. I will check the database for your entry. I have a repeated submission and I'm wondering if that might be yours.

NTUPVS

no leh im not in campus today. yah but i know NTU's intranet transfer speed is :bigeyes:

hehe. yeah..sorry about the double submission. never expected it to be so fast :bsmilie:

Hi, would like to know how are you guys going to do abt colour management. How do u ensure that what i see on my screen is what's gonna be presented to the judges?

aimlessfool said:
Hi, would like to know how are you guys going to do abt colour management. How do u ensure that what i see on my screen is what's gonna be presented to the judges?

Hello.

The pictures would be viewed "as is" on high contrast, high resolution plasma or LCD screens by the judges. The fact that the picture would be different from what is on your screen is not denied.

Printouts from computers differ from visual panels' displays too, be it in terms of colour, contrast or detail in shadows due to many reasons such as lower gamut. A calibrated screen with printer does not guarantee WYSIWYG 100% too.

We recognize that what is being viewed during judging might differ even, from what is intended. However, it is a trade off on our part to make submission more convenient and encourage more entries from amateur photographers who could do away with having to contemplate spending money on printing. Hence, unless your screen is way off in terms of colour biasness, we do not forsee much of a probem.

NTUPVS

ntupvs said:
Hello.

The pictures would be viewed "as is" on high contrast, high resolution plasma or LCD screens by the judges. The fact that the picture would be different from what is on your screen is not denied.

Printouts from computers differ from visual panels' displays too, be it in terms of colour, contrast or detail in shadows due to many reasons such as lower gamut. A calibrated screen with printer does not guarantee WYSIWYG 100% too.

We recognize that what is being viewed during judging might differ even, from what is intended. However, it is a trade off on our part to make submission more convenient and encourage more entries from amateur photographers who could do away with having to contemplate spending money on printing. Hence, unless your screen is way off in terms of colour biasness, we do not forsee much of a probem.

NTUPVS

In this case, I believe the primary concern is whether the device used to output the image for judging is properly calibrated and what whether the viewing software supports color management as well. If those 2 requirements are fulfilled, then at least there is a known standard to work on.

Print submission although troublesome, ensured that applicants are presenting what they intended to the judges as control of the output is in their hands. For monitor based judging, the setup has to be taken into consideration to have any predictable output.

Zerstorer said:
In this case, I believe the primary concern is whether the device used to output the image for judging is properly calibrated and what whether the viewing software supports color management as well. If those 2 requirements are fulfilled, then at least there is a known standard to work on.

Print submission although troublesome, ensured that applicants are presenting what they intended to the judges as control of the output is in their hands. For monitor based judging, the setup has to be taken into consideration to have any predictable output.

Thank you for your pointers.
Nikon View4 with updates would be used as the viewing software to ensure colour management recognition.

NTUPVS

2000 pixels by 1325 pixels is the requirement.

presuming NTU will be printing these images, max output from photo lab is going to be 4R.
(or 6.66" X 4.42")

This mean anyone with a 3MP camera will be doing fine.

However, since there is not limit on max size.
I do not know that size of your LCD/Plasma, but a similar image taken at 3MP and 8MP is definitely going to have quality different.
this, imho, will cause unfair judging criteria.

suggestion is that you can take in
1800px X 1200px as min (4R, 2.16MP image, laser print 12" X 8")
and
3000px X 2400px as a max (8R, 7.2MP image, laser print 20" X 16")

just a friendly suggestion, good luck with ya contest :)

frankly. I find it weird that guys are commenting about the regulations and giving suggestions openly to the organiser when the event has already been launched.
give a little respect and send it via PM. isn't that nicer?

prolly, it's just me.

just curious, who are the judges?
are the results out yet?

hmm... no replies from them...

are there any honorable or commendable entries?

enghong17 said:
There are exhibited prints. The presentation and exhibition is tomorrow 7pm Nanyang Executive Centre’s Auditorium. ;)

the exhibition is only for one day? and any plan to put the exhibited prints online as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.