Performance of Canon 100D

I am using a sigma F1.4 lens without image stabiliser. I will normally experience slightly blur image due to camera shake. Maybe 100D body is too light...hahahaha. I try to take at shutter speed above 1/160 to prevent that.

To solve the problem, it probably gives me an excuse to buy a better camera which supports higher ISO. LOL

To me, if you still have the kit lens that came with your 100D. Try shooting with the 18-55mm lens first, at least it got
IS which will help. What you should consider investing would be a lens with IS and tripod instead of a newer camera.

Thanks for all your advice.

If I were to use a external flash, for freezing motion in situation like that, what would be the recommended setting?

Should I use TV mode and set the fastest shutter speed of 1/200?

To me, it depends on how fast your subject is. What I do is take a first shot using Program mode, look
at the scene settings for the shutter speed. Than after shot in TV mode and adjust the shutter speed either one or two stop down.
It involve practise seriously, you can train by shooting pets like cats in your area.

To me, if you still have the kit lens that came with your 100D. Try shooting with the 18-55mm lens first, at least it got
IS which will help. What you should consider investing would be a lens with IS and tripod instead of a newer camera.

Ya, I guess I can use my kit len since Octarine suggest to start with F/5.6.

"Check that you get shutter speeds above 1/60 to freeze motion"
Do you mean to say 1/160?
No, 1/60 is ok for moderately moving persons. Hyperactive kids require 1/160 or above :)

Ya, I guess I can use my kit len since Octarine suggest to start with F/5.6.
Any lens will do, you can step down your Sigma as well. Nobody says you can only use it at f/1.4. The aperture of f/5.6 is to have sufficent DoF for objects at about 3..4m distance. For objects / people closer than that you might need to step down further to avoid 'sharp nose / blur ears'.

Personally I'd rather live with some noise than to not have the pictures at all.

There is flash of course but sometimes flash can really annoy the other people around you.

TS - if you are still having problems, it may be better to get someone knowledgable to show you how flash is able to assist. That is probably the easiest way.

100D is a great camera. Don't be tempted to "upgrade" to 70D because it won't solve your problem unless you are talking about Full frame like 6d or 5dmk3 where Iso at 12800 is better than your crop body iso at 1600.

Yes, get a small & light flash like the 270ex2, flash head face up with diffuser, always set to HSS, set flash sync speed to auto in AV mode, in AV mode, control your resulting shutter speed using ISO.