People who ask for your criticism want only praise

People who ask for your criticism want only praise

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D If you are talking about photography, well I must say there is no right or wrong. There is no good or bad. Niether a photo is under or over is wrong either..... See how to finish? If a person wants to post a photo of thier workm they must be prepared to accept it.

Whether they are talking about the model's legs, make-up, eyes or any physical part of a human.......or perhaps shooting some landscape where you talk about compositions, colours, filters that should have use........or shoot an object where the placement of the light should be top, side bottom and blah blah blah.........but all this opinion is super valueable if of course in the first place able to accept what other say.

How to finish? I must agree with some that has posted that every critique whether good or bad is the best learning experience you will ever get. Just imagine someone telling you are sooo good in taking some photos with great colours and composition but once you show it to your client, they will either think is sooo good that they want to hire you or your client might ask...."Is this your best?"

This is a small small example I have experience before in real life. They either shoot you in the face straight on or hire you. Sure it hurts but I learn. Have you learn to accept someone's critique yet?

If you really feel posting you only make your ego better go ahead....but please lah be prepared to accept ALL opinions. I have seen plenty of photos in this forum and I think it's not bad and acceptable. Well to me that is.

"Photography is a form of ART". It soooo subjective....lah!

PEACE MAN!

Sorry if I did offend anyone here. Just my 0.00002 cents worth! Hehehe. :D

"The TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" - Jack Nicholson in 'A Few Good Men'

Sometimes the truth hurts and I've found people in general don't want to hear it. It depends on how big the person's ego is.

How receptive a person is to criticism is inversely proportional to the size of his/her ego.

A person's age also has a roll to play in this equation but I don't know how to incorporate it into the formula. :think:

"A little bit of sugar helps the medicine go down" sings Julie Andrews in 'Mary Poppins'. So a little praise before the real critique generally works I suppose. But if the person doesn't want to hear it, so be it. No skin off my back I say.

it depends on

1. the skill level of the photog; good, bad, ugly, etc
2. his idea before and during the shoot; got what he wanted, or accidental, or post-PS effects
3. his reason for posting; how to, what-if, why is it, what do you think...
4. what he plans to do after receiving comments; redo, feel good, give-up...

Different types/personality of photogs will "see" & "feel" differently the same subject, treat them in different "lights" and "angles" and stress on the "focus" & depth of field.

Much of critques here sometime centre around whether "pretty models" is showing too much, or what should not be seen/included.

That's why sometimes classes of his/her peers would be much better then this WWW where demographics differ much more then type/brands of camera and lens they use. :)

I am not so sure about this "truth" thingy.

A lot of opinions here borders on perceptions; from each of our understanding and experiences with each image we create and the effect that result from our interactions with the subject/s.

Many may not understand that negative perceptions can hurt that much.

We learn to handle EGO as we grow older, so it IS a growing/learning process. Knowing this, should we spare the younger ones these "harsh realities" like what our govt tries to all the time?

We may have to stop mothering and let them grow up; black pots, kettles and all.

StreetShooter said:
Quoted from W. Somerset Maugham

Definitely applies to me (ie I only want praise). That's why I never post anything in Critique section.... too painful for my ego. :cool:

Definitely not for me. I always got things like:

- Very Good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
- Like your pics
- Don't like the colour

and stuff like that. Frankly speaking, I prefer constructive comments, like why you like the shots, why very good, how can I improve on the colour if you dont' like it, etc.

I'd prefer not to just give your feelings, but also the reasons.

generally, i think clubsnappers here are too kind to give comments...
it wont help the photographer to improve anyway...

no potos are perfect, sure there are some flaws here any there...if everyone feel shy to comment and always say: good...well done.....what can that photographer gain at last? nothing! cos he is not going to improve without critisim.<-dont know spell correctly or not...

:devil: so why wait...wack them, smash their ego...critize till jialat jialat...dont sabo them..help them...HAHHAHAHAA :bsmilie:

MatthewSCL said:
generally, i think clubsnappers here are too kind to give comments...
it wont help the photographer to improve anyway...

no potos are perfect, sure there are some flaws here any there...if everyone feel shy to comment and always say: good...well done.....what can that photographer gain at last? nothing! cos he is not going to improve without critisim.<-dont know spell correctly or not...

:devil: so why wait...wack them, smash their ego...critize till jialat jialat...dont sabo them..help them...HAHHAHAHAA :bsmilie:

I think it's not the CS people are kind. Is because they are TOO/OVER sensitive (especially those who posted). The problem is they want to put up a photo but yet want to hear something nice although the photos are just on the passing level.

Those who did give some advice is either they have little knowledge about photography or is part of their gang (see it with your own eyes, especially in the portrait section! So many bootlickers......) or have absolutely no idea what are they commenting on. Even when the photo is underexpose.

Sorry to say this but if you really want to learn, is best to know your mistakes or your weakness.

My 0.0000002 cents worth of comments. Thank you.

Criticism unlocks the doors to improvements, but praises imprisons us within the realms of Arrogance.......that's where complacency sets in.

Thank God, I'm a newbie !! :D

Hmm..

Who dig out this old thread?

I remember someone created a nick just to post comment which is hurting but hold some truth...Some are one-liner like "3 :thumbsd:".

He was blasted left and right. Not mainly by the photographer but by the "poster" friend.

Most people can't take comment that belittle their pics.

binbeto said:
Hmm..

I remember someone created a nick just to post comment which is hurting but hold some truth...Some are one-liner like "3 :thumbsd:".

He was blasted left and right. Not mainly by the photographer but by the "poster" friend.

By looking at the thread, it's a person by the nick of devilicboy.........who started this thread again. Not sure about who blasting who but who cares. As mentioned earlier, just take it like a man. Comments cannot kill you. It only make you a better person. Try lah........

another of my 0.0000002 cents worth.

Peace man on this earth!

binbeto said:
Hmm..

interesting... just wondering if a special gallery could be created in CS for *brave* ppl to post their pics and receive the nastiest criticism other ppl can throw at them. on condition that they take the criticism without moaning about it of course. but then again, that would rapidly degenrate into chaos...

Godzilla Invades said:
The problem is they want to put up a photo but yet want to hear something nice although the photos are just on the passing level.

Not everyone I guess.... at least not me. In fact, I'd purposly show my lousy photos for all to judge. Or maybe sometimes, I'd show my favourite ones & see if all feels the same as I do.

Some really nice ppl will use my pic & try to PS it a little to salvage the badly taken pic. And some will gimmie good advices that I've really learnt from. Really appreciate them! :thumbsup:

as a beginner, sometimes it is really good to hear some comments that would help in improving my skill. for mi, constructive criticism is always welcome.

ppl prefer critique to criticism.

:think:

If you are one of brave souls who is not afraid of harsh criticism, perhaps it's an idea to reminder people "not to give face".

Otherwise please watermark the photos with "Please Praise" in bold capital letters. :sweatsm:

If I were to ask for an appinion on a photo I would expect creative criticism , no two minds think alike ,what I think may differ quite a lot from someone else's point of view , I wont mind if they dont like my photo so long as they come across from a genuine photographers point of view wether that be amateur or professional , I'm merely trying to get things right , but would be happy to be criticised if this makes me even better the next time .

Perfection is a state of mind ,it doesnt exist ,the nearer you get the further away it is .

zaren said:
ppl prefer critique to criticism.

:think:

Indeed there is a world of difference between "CRITIQUE' and "CRITICISM".

Criticism is fault-finding, and generally negative.

Critique is evaluation as to how and why a photograph works and do not.

student said:
Indeed there is a world of difference between "CRITIQUE' and "CRITICISM".

Criticism is fault-finding, and generally negative.

Critique is evaluation as to how and why a photograph works and do not.

What if nothing works? Is there still a need to spread a little butter then? Doesn't that all boil down to finding praise where there's none in order to be polite?
What if a picture does a 180 after the critical mistakes are rectified?
In my personal opnion, if you can't find something good about your own creation after someone's trashed it to bits....well...back to the drawing board.;)
But hey...that's just my personal opinion. No intention to piss on anyone ey? :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.