Pentax K-7 ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newspaper ads have a fleeting impact unless there is continual insertions to maintain top of mind recall... Pentax needs big bus advertising :thumbsup:

I doubt anyone would want to see out of shape men in wet t-shirts. Gals on the other hand... :think::bsmilie:

Ops, my mistake. Then MJ should hire pretty models to pose, and we become the technical consultant to make sure they hold the camera right etc.

There, now I feel better! :embrass:

Just got an email reply from our friendly local agent that the TR power pack 3 will also arrive in Singapore soon!

Just got an email reply from our friendly local agent that the TR power pack 3 will also arrive in Singapore soon!

mmmm....how come you get the promotional and news emails from the friendly local agent and not us....:think:
You remember those lowepro bags with model number ending with "W". These are the ones with a poncho built-in. Maybe the pentax K8 will come with the poncho built-in for the photographer, so now you can splash the camera AND the photographer! ;p

ps..btw, not that I need one now but how much is the battery pack? :)

Are you refering to the K-7 Ad on Monday 6 Jul, TODAY newspaper? It is on page World 12.

K-7Today.jpg

TODAY newspaper K-7 Ad

Does anyone else here think the ad is poorly executed? You've got this disembodied pair of hands grasping the camera and sprouting lightning. The camera, which is the star of the ad, can't be fully seen and only occupies a fraction of the total ad space.

Furthermore, can't emjay get ahold of a more professional url? pentax.com.sg or pentaxsg.com or pentaxsingapore.com, etc. Emjay, they are all still available. Perhaps you could work out with hoya/pentax on acquiring the local domain.

And lastly, the paragraph at the bottom is riddled with grammatical and sentence structure flaws. ("it's" should be "its", "...functions under the toughest environments" would be better either as "...functions in the toughest environments" or "...functions under the toughest conditions", and "Finally, digital photography now comes alive in your hands" would be more incisive as "Finally, digital photography comes alive in your hands".)

Look, I know I'm nitpicking. But really, I want Pentax to do well here. With great products like the k200, k20, k7, etc they really deserve to be in the top three. But slipshod ads like these tend to make the product feel downmarket.

It's as if the author of the ad doesn't really believe in the product enough to bother doing a good job.

the Ad better than nothing...last time smell also cannot find :bsmilie:

anyway K-7 is on TODAY B9... was reading the guitar hero metallica review hee hee

then saw K-7...nothing much written about it just a introduction...better than nothing :)

Does anyone else here think the ad is poorly executed? You've got this disembodied pair of hands grasping the camera and sprouting lightning. The camera, which is the star of the ad, can't be fully seen and only occupies a fraction of the total ad space.

Furthermore, can't emjay get ahold of a more professional url? pentax.com.sg or pentaxsg.com or pentaxsingapore.com, etc. Emjay, they are all still available. Perhaps you could work out with hoya/pentax on acquiring the local domain.

And lastly, the paragraph at the bottom is riddled with grammatical and sentence structure flaws. ("it's" should be "its", "...functions under the toughest environments" would be better either as "...functions in the toughest environments" or "...functions under the toughest conditions", and "Finally, digital photography now comes alive in your hands" would be more incisive as "Finally, digital photography comes alive in your hands".)

Look, I know I'm nitpicking. But really, I want Pentax to do well here. With great products like the k200, k20, k7, etc they really deserve to be in the top three. But slipshod ads like these tend to make the product feel downmarket.

It's as if the author of the ad doesn't really believe in the product enough to bother doing a good job.

I've pointed the typo problem out before; I'm in the editorial line and so maybe I'm more sensitive to such language issues. But I do agree with you that detail to attention is important -- most of the time, products get only one chance to make an impression, and that's it.

I don't see it as nitpicking (though some may disagree), but rather, branding and conveying a certain image. A cover letter or CV with typos and awkward phrasing will put off employers, so what more an ad? But at least we know Emjay reads these threads. Whether they regard this as nitpicking and ignore it, or takes it seriously enough to hire a professional editor/proofreader is another matter altogether.

Newspaper ads have a fleeting impact unless there is continual insertions to maintain top of mind recall... Pentax needs big bus advertising :thumbsup:

Agree. The bus ads cheap and very noticeable. I always see the Nikon ads when I take the bus to work and in my mind "Aiya... why no such Pentax Ads?". The Pentax taxi ads, has less impact. Maybe they are too small.

Anyway, its a good start. EMjay bothered to put money in for news print space speaks a lot already.

dunno why ur so concern with the AD... just a AD no big deal... i more concern with how good the camera is... nitpick on the camera la...

To us, no problem.. because we know how good the K-7 is. We're fans, we're familiar with the product.

The point is, it's about image to the outside world. These errors are easily spotted and correctable, so why should they be there in the 1st place?

For an ad targetting the general public, having typos and all these is a no-no. Imagine you're considering enrolling for a course, or in charge of vetting cover letters, or just.. simply reading an ad. If you see such typos, what kind of impression will you get of the company or person who wrote it? For me: Sloppy, careless, bochup.

It is, in the end, about being professional. Emjay's already spending money on the ad, so why not ensure it has no spelling or grammar errors, that it's well-written, that it don't make people cringe at these errors? It doesn't cost that much more.

I've pointed the typo problem out before; I'm in the editorial line and so maybe I'm more sensitive to such language issues. But I do agree with you that detail to attention is important -- most of the time, products get only one chance to make an impression, and that's it.

I don't see it as nitpicking (though some may disagree), but rather, branding and conveying a certain image. A cover letter or CV with typos and awkward phrasing will put off employers, so what more an ad? But at least we know Emjay reads these threads. Whether they regard this as nitpicking and ignore it, or takes it seriously enough to hire a professional editor/proofreader is another matter altogether.

I guess what bothers me is that Pentax, in its various forms is a grand, nearly century old company (more established than even minolta or canon) with a string of illustrious inventions under its belt. (first 35mm SLR, invented TTL metering, earliest autofocus 35mm, only full line of weather resistent DSLRs, etc) Yet today, its public face is reduced to shoddy advertisements with hair growing out of its pentaprism (see the prism hump in ad... ). How the mighty have fallen. :cry:

I guess what bothers me is that Pentax, in its various forms is a grand, nearly century old company (more established than even minolta or canon) with a string of illustrious inventions under its belt. (first 35mm SLR, invented TTL metering, earliest autofocus 35mm, only full line of weather resistent DSLRs, etc) Yet today, its public face is reduced to shoddy advertisements with hair growing out of its pentaprism (see the prism hump in ad... ). How the mighty have fallen. :cry:

'Tis a pity, but nothing new or surprising. Pentax is now no longer an independent company anyway; it's under Hoya now.

Cases in point: General Motors, various grand olde banks with long proud histories, and many more. Even Apple almost went under , before its current revival. Leica has been struggling for eons. And so on. It's the business cycle, I think.

Of course, a company starting to be bochup and careless about its public image definitely doesn't help. :p

Last edited:
some of the pentax k-7 teaser photos (not the blurry camera phone ones) and the ones of it with water droplets around (think FW posted them here) were damn enticing. perhaps emjay could consider using those photos?

to be honest, comparing our pentax ad to N/C/S even O ads in the papers, still got some catching up.. definitely cost is a factor.. we don't want to end up with a massive advertising budget at the expense of competitive prices, so a balance must be struck. nonetheless, emjay's doing a good job so far, at least there's some visibility for the brand! :thumbsup:

perhaps you could consider doing an ad where the K7 is shot side by side with one of pentax's old cult cameras, maybe can stir up interest among some of the old-timers who may have moved on to other brands.

my few thoughts.

First line of second paragraph was cut off?

ok... nitpick time yeah :bsmilie:

so the TODAY B9 column by who ah...Tan what... what is outdoor-sy ?? shy is it...

slotted a 14.6 Mega-Pixel CMOS sensor... what slotted ? so we can just slot in any sensor we want...:bsmilie: where is the hole ah... i want to slot in a 100 million mega-pixel sensor into my K20D no need to upgrade anymore yeah :bsmilie:

the editor never vet through...their england also so so nia... :bsmilie:

ok... nitpick time yeah :bsmilie:

so the TODAY B9 column by who ah...Tan what... what is outdoor-sy ?? shy is it...

slotted a 14.6 Mega-Pixel CMOS sensor... what slotted ? so we can just slot in any sensor we want...:bsmilie: where is the hole ah... i want to slot in a 100 million mega-pixel sensor into my K20D no need to upgrade anymore yeah :bsmilie:

the editor never vet through...their england also so so nia... :bsmilie:

Just for fun.

Actually, I'll pass the article if I'm the editor. But will insist on a better headline than that.. ick!

It should be 'outdoorsy' without the '-'.. a legitimate word, btw. Rest are just phrasing styles which generally flow ok.

I'm just confused with this part:

"If you buy the K-7 lens kit ($2,599), it even comes with a weather-resistant 18-55mm (27mm to 82.5mm due to sensor’s 1.5x crop factor) f3.5-5.6 lens."

Sentence is just too long and redundant for my taste.

BTW, :thumbsup: for emjay for the presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.