Pentax K-5 and KR

The rumored MSRP for the K-5 high, but actual price is likely to drop over time. K-7 used to be around $1800, now it is $1300+. A850 sensor is also not that great for FF.

DXO comparison between K-x & A850

But really, no point speculating too much until the K-5 is officially launched.

Anyone planning to buy K5 here?:) FW?..... C....p?.....:cool:

marcus

Hi, sorry to go off tangent, but does anyone know when then K-r will hit stores in SG?

Also, besides the addition of AF points and allowing the usage of rechargable batteries, is there a vast improvement over the k-x?

Haha I was about to buy a k-x when I saw the k-r was released, so was just thinking if I should just go ahead with the purchase.

Thanks!

im wondering how the "18 AF points" will be placed.. :think:
first time ive read of having even number of AF points. 2 AF points in the center??

Yes I see your point about the high ISO of Pentax being very competitive. The lack of DOF in FF is one factor which I did not know of. But for me the crop factor is one factor I do not want in a body.

No I am not willing to spend on the higher end full frame like D700, but certainly find it very tempting to top up a few hundred $ in order to get a no frills full frame like the Alpha 850.
http://www.sony.com.sg/productcategory/alpha-dslr-camera

But ofcourse, would prefer if it were from Pentax.

You need to understand the basis of the whole FF/crop issue.
When cameras changed from film to digital, the folks then felt that they 'lost' something. Their existing lenses where 'castrated' to a 1.5x crop. They lacked lenses on the wide end because of this as well. Imagine if your widest lens was 28mm and now it was more like 42mm and not wide at all :eek:
They also lamented the increase of DOF, film better than digital (another long argument), viewfinder size, etc.
For a long time, sensor yields just could not justify FF digital cameras and thus FF digital became a sort of holy grail (passed into legend).

The new wide and ultra wide lenses have long addressed the issue of the loss of wide angle lenses.

The greatness of FF is exaggerated. It is just one of many possible film/sensor sizes. Why not MF, where you get to use a larger lens than 35mm?
How does it limit photography?
How many FF lenses you have?
Are they going to perform at the resolutions you want/need on a FF sensor (esp. edge sharpness)?

An A850 is at its price point because it has a performance at that price point (wrt FF cameras). ;)

Last edited:
When cameras changed from film to digital, the folks then felt that they 'lost' something. Their existing lenses where 'castrated' to a 1.5x crop. They lacked lenses on the wide end because of this as well. Imagine if your widest lens was 28mm and now it was more like 42mm and not wide at all :eek:
They also lamented the increase of DOF, film better than digital (another long argument), viewfinder size, etc.
For a long time, sensor yields just could not justify FF digital cameras and thus FF digital became a sort of holy grail (passed into legend).

The new wide and ultra wide lenses have long addressed the issue of the loss of wide angle lenses.

The greatness of FF is exaggerated. It is just one of many possible film/sensor sizes. Why not MF, where you get to use a larger lens than 35mm?
Are they going to perform at the resolutions you want/need on a FF sensor (esp. edge sharpness)?

An A850 is at its price point because it has a performance at that price point (wrt FF cameras). ;)

:bsmilie: alamak, I thought you should be worried that I get converted to other brand, instead you are more worried that I get converted from crop factor to Full Frame.

If Pentax makes full frame, I will be interested, and I'm sure it would be a good thing as there are also many that would be interested as well.

Last edited:
I

But... but... I want an APSC camera with a FF OVF... :)

OT abit. if the reason behind the K-x's high iso performance is the sensor from sony... wouldn't the sony cameras also have similar performance at high iso?

is it simply becos pentax doesn't try to squeeze out too many MP from the APS-c sensor a la canon 550D (18MP?!!) :dunno: just thinking out loud... don't know anything abt sensor tech!

They look very different... just look at the amount of detail at the end of the hair. Definitely not "very close" like you mentioned. k-x is a very good camera in its class. But comparing it with D700 is really a little too extreme.

:bsmilie: alamak, I thought you should be worried that I get converted to other brand, instead you are more worried that I get converted from crop factor to Full Frame.

If Pentax makes full frame, I will be interested, and I'm sure it would be a good thing as there are also many that would be interested as well.

Its a ~3K decision. Its your to make of course. Just want to make sure you have the info and not just jump in. :)

They look very different... just look at the amount of detail at the end of the hair. Definitely not "very close" like you mentioned. k-x is a very good camera in its class. But comparing it with D700 is really a little too extreme.
Look again. Detail retention on :
Eye lashes
Cloth texture on the collar.
Beads on the necklace.

Of course its not fair to compare $700 camera with a $3200 one. But its getting close.

Last edited:
Its a ~3K decision. Its your to make of course. Just want to make sure you have the info and not just jump in. :)

Look again. Detail retention on :
Eye lashes
Cloth texture on the collar.
Beads on the necklace.

Of course its not fair to compare $700 camera with a $3200 one. But its getting close.
i dunno.. as far as i can see, from the link you gave, there is quite a difference in detail retention between both cameras.. i guess you better take another look sir

i dunno.. as far as i can see, from the link you gave, there is quite a difference in detail retention between both cameras.. i guess you better take another look sir

Hmm....
Am I missing something.... :think:
100% from the Image Resource site :

D700 Eye
D700-eye.jpg

Kx Eye
Kx-eye.jpg

D700 Collar
D700-collar.jpg

Kx Collar
Kx-collar.jpg

Last edited:
D700 Beads
D700-beads.jpg

Kx Beads
Kx-beads.jpg

Seem Kx have better result :think:
I mean more detail, for the bead and collar.

for me, until FF format reaches more equitable levels for hobbyist use... which is what most of us are... i cannot foresee myself making the switch from CF to FF anytime in the near future.

for hobbyist, it is just a toy. i guess it's fine for people to want expensive toys, but from a personal point of view, i don't need something like that.. the joy in photography for me lies in taking pictures, not feeling good about my gear. and seriously, who cares about details when you are going to print largest size a3 at best. so you can tell people that "hey guys, my photo COULD have been printed bigger. just letting you know, just so you know. :)"

seriously, i think the advantage of FF lies in DR. but i think that's more of a matter of implementation in CF... and if everyone just keeps hankering after FF, there will be no incentive to push R&D in that direction.

Last edited:
you are looking at the photos selectively. If you look at the hair/ the end of the hair. you will know why some of us think that the output is no where near "close". Anyway, "close" is very subjective, what is define as "close" to you might not be equally "close" from others perspective. So gets keep our discussion back to K-5 and KR! BBB!;)

you are looking at the photos selectively. If you look at the hair/ the end of the hair. you will know why some of us think that the output is no where near "close". Anyway, "close" is very subjective, what is define as "close" to you might not be equally "close" from others perspective. So gets keep our discussion back to K-5 and KR! BBB!;)

3 sample areas compared to one area is selective?
At least my sample size is larger. :)
So its better to look if someone has a bad hair day then to look at their eyes, clothing and jewelery :think:

Yes back to Kr and K5. If Pentax can pull the same magic as on the Kx. The new cameras will be really something.

Last edited:
3 sample areas compared to one area is selective?
At least my sample size is larger. :)
So its better to look if someone has a bad hair day then to look at their eyes, clothing and jewelery :think:
haha not really leh. The hair starts from the top of the head all the way to the shoulder. If i were to copy paste that portion it will be larger than 3 sample areas you show. ;p
Yes back to Kr and K5. If Pentax can pull the same magic as on the Kx. The new cameras will be really something.
Usually AF is not much of a concern to me. But this time round I really want to see how the new AF performs. Good noise control at high ISO must pair up with fast AF at low light mah :)