Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED

Thanks for you guys for the valuable info & sharing your experience of lenses.
After reading thru' I find that convenience is not everything, I have to weigh against sharpness & IQ. And lastly I have to take into consideration the weight (Cleonbus mentioned the Tamron 28-300 is heavy)

Today evening I went down to Funan Centre, SLR Rev has got a collection of Pentax lenses but doesn't have the range I need. However saw a Pentax DA* 60-250 F4.0, constant aperture looks good ;p but the price is near to $2k.
Next I drop by at Bally Photo & they have the Tamron 18-250 @$640

In summary below are the prices I've gathered:

1. Pentax 18-250 - $860
2. Tamron 18-250 - $640
3. Tamron 28-300 - $350 (new but no warranty)
4. Pentax 55-300 - $?? (Bally quoted $700 :bigeyes:)

Decisions, decisions, decisions! :dunno:
Most likely will miss the Pentax 18-250.
Got to call Mr Quek for the pricing of Pentax 55-300 tmr morning or anyone knows the lowest price & which shop's selling this lens?

btw the K-X with dual kit lens at $1103 (55-300mm) is DA or DAL?

1. Pentax 18-250 - $860
2. Tamron 18-250 - $640

The K-X with dual kit lens at $1103 (55-300mm) should normally be DAL... at least mine is.

BTW, after reading your summary above, I think the Tamron 18-250 - $640 may be a good buy if you can negotiate the price down further OR shop around on Ebay or KEH or elsewhere for a better price for a second-hand lens. I already have the DAL 55-300mm which I am very thrilled with. But I'm willing to pay between $400-$500 max for a decent condition Tamron 18-250 (without warranty) just to try the lens out for sometime and see if its worth the 'convenience factor'.

Anyway, with a dual kit 18-55 & 55-300 I'm totally covered between 18-300mm anyway. Then I have my 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2.8 plus a few more primes which occasionally get used too. No 'Limited' lenses as yet though... I'm targeting those for later when I upgrade to a better body with a better sensor for the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks for you guys for the valuable info & sharing your experience of lenses.
After reading thru' I find that convenience is not everything, I have to weigh against sharpness & IQ. And lastly I have to take into consideration the weight (Cleonbus mentioned the Tamron 28-300 is heavy)

Today evening I went down to Funan Centre, SLR Rev has got a collection of Pentax lenses but doesn't have the range I need. However saw a Pentax DA* 60-250 F4.0, constant aperture looks good ;p but the price is near to $2k.
Next I drop by at Bally Photo & they have the Tamron 18-250 @$640

1. Pentax 18-250 - $860
2. Tamron 18-250 - $640

Decisions, decisions, decisions! :dunno:
Most likely will miss the Pentax 18-250.
Got to call Mr Quek for the pricing of Pentax 55-300 tmr morning or anyone knows the lowest price & which shop's selling this lens?

Luckily you never go in the afternoon.Funan got lion dance so noisy,can't even hear salesman talking:bsmilie:Anyway,go for either Tamrons:)

The K-X with dual kit lens at $1103 (55-300mm) should normally be DAL... at least mine is.

BTW, after reading your summary above, I think the Tamron 18-250 - $640 may be a good buy if you can negotiate the price down further OR shop around on Ebay or KEH or elsewhere for a better price for a second-hand lens. I already have the DAL 55-300mm which I am very thrilled with. But I'm willing to pay between $400-$500 max for a decent condition Tamron 18-250 (without warranty) just to try the lens out for sometime and see if its worth the 'convenience factor'.

Anyway, with a dual kit 18-55 & 55-300 I'm totally covered between 18-300mm anyway. Then I have my 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2.8 plus a few more primes which occasionally get used too. No 'Limited' lenses as yet though... I'm targeting those for later when I upgrade to a better body with a better sensor for the near future.

I see, I thought so good the $1103 package comes with DA version of 55-300 :bsmilie:
Anyway love the quick shift feature of DA & also comes with Pentax hood, but the price is higher...

Now I might narrow down to both the tamrons, 18-250 or 28-300
Understand that at the furthest zoom, image is not sharp at the corners but for birding shoot should be alright since will be cropping the image most of the time.
I hope the 28-300 added to the weight of K-X body is not too heavy to hold. :dunno:

Last edited:
Now I might narrow down to both the tamrons, 18-250 or 28-300...

Forget the 28-300... though cheaper, its still a waste of money for an experienced person like you who is not a newbie.

The 18-250 is quite a good lens (considering the extreme focal range) compared to others in its class... and if you get it at a good price, I'd say go for it. I would too!!

Understand that at the furthest zoom, image is not sharp at the corners...
With many of the cheaper zoom lenses, their output often is not very sharp in the center too at the furthest zoom! :bsmilie: The corners are just worse!

Last edited:
Forget the 28-300... though cheaper, its still a waste of money for an experienced person like you who is not a newbie.

The 18-250 is quite a good lens (considering the extreme focal range) compared to others in its class... and if you get it at a good price, I'd say go for it. I would too!!

With many of the cheaper zoom lenses, their output often is not very sharp in the center too at the furthest zoom! :bsmilie: The corners are just worse!

Nope.....was shooting at 300mm but i find the pictures ok:)

I see, I thought so good the $1103 package comes with DA version of 55-300 :bsmilie:
Anyway love the quick shift feature of DA & also comes with Pentax hood, but the price is higher...

Now I might narrow down to both the tamrons, 18-250 or 28-300
Understand that at the furthest zoom, image is not sharp at the corners but for birding shoot should be alright since will be cropping the image most of the time.
I hope the 28-300 added to the weight of K-X body is not too heavy to hold. :dunno:

28-300 not that heavy lah........Added with a K-x should be <1kg:)

heheh K-X is my 1st DSLR, my experience is only 1mth :lovegrin:

Don't think the price is good for the Tamron 18-250.
Now I remembered I read somewhere in CS that Bally Photo used to quote prices "cheap" then when customer wanted to buy, they add in the GST. ;(

Just now I called them & to confirm the price if it's net & no additional GST. A guy picked up the call & said no more stock.
But I was at the shop yesterday evening I saw the stock there.
So I asked this guy to confirm & he said have to check with another guy whose busy. He said will call me 5mins later. I waited 15mins no call, I called back, same was told will call back 5mins again. I waited another 20-30mins (can't remember exactly but was long enuff) called again. Same answer that guy was busy. This time said will call me 35mins later. :eek:
It took an hour already still need to wait for another 35mins. :what:

Anyone knows if there's better shop besides this Bally Photo that carry Tamron lens?

there are at least three versions of 28-300 for pentaxmount, model no 185d, a06, a061. respectively.
among which, the oldest version 185d is the best, although it is the heaviest.
the second version a06 has some quite serious ghosting/flare/CA issue, so better to avoid.
the third a061 version is supposed to be a corrected version of a06.

there are at least three versions of 28-300 for pentaxmount, model no 185d, a06, a061. respectively.
the second version a06 has some quite serious ghosting/flare/CA issue, so better to avoid.

I think kengoh means the A06 version:)

heheh K-X is my 1st DSLR, my experience is only 1mth :lovegrin:

Don't think the price is good for the Tamron 18-250.
Now I remembered I read somewhere in CS that Bally Photo used to quote prices "cheap" then when customer wanted to buy, they add in the GST. ;(

Just now I called them & to confirm the price if it's net & no additional GST. A guy picked up the call & said no more stock.
But I was at the shop yesterday evening I saw the stock there.
So I asked this guy to confirm & he said have to check with another guy whose busy. He said will call me 5mins later. I waited 15mins no call, I called back, same was told will call back 5mins again. I waited another 20-30mins (can't remember exactly but was long enuff) called again. Same answer that guy was busy. This time said will call me 35mins later. :eek:
It took an hour already still need to wait for another 35mins. :what:

Anyone knows if there's better shop besides this Bally Photo that carry Tamron lens?

Did you try SLR rev,AP,MS??

I think kengoh means the A06 version:)

You are right bro. :)

Thanks for providing this great info.
The one I'm refering to is the A06 version. Looks like I have to re-consider...

Did you try SLR rev,AP,MS??

I've tried all the above & even TK Foto, all no stock.
The only one that have stock is Bally Foto but their service ... till they clsoe shop today still neve get back. :what:

I've tried all the above & even TK Foto, all no stock.
The only one that have stock is Bally Foto but their service ... till they clsoe shop today still neve get back. :what:

How about jnet6 from mass sales.I got mine from him at $350.Brand new without warranty:)

How about jnet6 from mass sales.I got mine from him at $350.Brand new without warranty:)

Yeah, that's the one I'm refering to @$350.
But his is the ver A06 not A061.

Yeah, that's the one I'm refering to @$350.
But his is the ver A06 not A061.

You can ask shops to order for you if you want the A061,but dunno whether can or not:dunno:

You can ask shops to order for you if you want the A061,but dunno whether can or not:dunno:

Today I called Tamron distro, he said the A06 is for Pentax Mount, A061 is for Sony mount. Now I'm confused liao...:confused:

Today I called Tamron distro, he said the A06 is for Pentax Mount, A061 is for Sony mount. Now I'm confused liao...:confused:

the A06 is the older version designed for the film camera and the A061 is the later version optimise for film and digital camera.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/ez_delarosa/PIDE TAMRON 405.pdf

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/assets/pdfs/28_300xrdi.pdf

You might want to check with K-13 on 2nd level peninsular, saw they have the tamron 28-300 before but can't remember which version.