Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100: A basic review

How does the electronic zoom feel ? That's the one thing, besides the flash, will make me consider GX7 over this.

To me it felt quite normal, with moderate speed. Actually quite preferable in the event you want to zoom while shooting video. But some may find it slow/laggy, especially if they have used other compacts with faster zooming speed. I actually didn't realise this until someone mentioned it at the mini hands-on session last Friday.

Too bad the speed is not variable. It can be 'sped up' somewhat by changing the settings so that the zoom goes to the preset focal lengths (24/28/35/50/75). This way, with each toggle of the zoom lever (or with each turn of the secondary control ring), it goes to the next FL, not mm by mm.

Last edited:
4K PHOTO mode

LX100: A Review by Kowcher /042 by kowcher, on Flickr

OOC jpg and 100% crop from a clip shot in 4K PHOTO mode. Shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, it yielded stills of 3328 x 2496px. Other settings: f/1.7 1/50s

When I first heard about this feature, I thought it sounded gimmicky, and was doubtful if useful stills could really be pulled, given that we generally want a fair amount of motion blur in video. The manual does suggest using a high shutter speed to minimise subject blur, to have a higher chance of getting more frames in focus. What it doesn’t mention is that it might cause you to end up with choppy looking video, which may or may not be what you want. It’s up to the user to figure out the best compromise for his/her use. I went with my usual 1/50s@25fps to see how it would fare.

After trying it out, I was surprised. You can indeed get fairly usable stills, depending on your subject, I suppose. EXIF info is retained as well. Downside is that there’s only one format/codec setting available for 4K PHOTO mode: [MP4/4K/100M/25p].

As described in the manual:
“You can create a still picture with approximately 8 megapixel resolution from a 4K motion
picture recorded by setting [4K PHOTO]. You can create a still picture that captures a
moment, similar to high-speed burst recording.

Since the camera puts higher priority on the focus of a still picture captured from a 4K motion picture, focusing movement during motion picture recording may be noticeable.

We recommend setting [Shutter-Priority] Mode and setting the shutter speed to 1/1000 seconds or higher to minimise subject blur. To record a subject that is moving quickly, set the shutter speed to 1/2000 seconds or higher.”

Last edited:
By the way, noticed that Panasonic USA has produced 20 instructional/information videos on the LX100, check em out here: Learn More About the LX100

Might be useful for people curious about the different features.

Here's an example of the video on the 4K PHOTO feature:

[video=youtube_share;dwe6ySrF-P4]http://youtu.be/dwe6ySrF-P4[/video]

Last edited:
There was a question raised in the other LX100 thread about the panorama stitching function, as there was visible banding in some images shot at night. My guess is that the night scenes probably pushed the LX100 to its limits. Don't think it's a software issue as I didn't have any such issues in the day.

Wasn't going to post this because I thought the subject's was pretty boring, but it might help others see how well/bad it works.

Cropped and processed in LR:

LX100: A Review by Kowcher /043 by kowcher, on Flickr

OOC jpg:

LX100: A Review by Kowcher /043 (OOC JPG for comparison) by kowcher, on Flickr

From the manual, limitations worth noting:

Limitations of the panorama mode:

•• The zoom position is fixed to the W end.
•• [Stabilizer] does not work when it is set to [ ] (Normal).
•• Since the aperture value and shutter speed are automatically controlled during panorama picture recording, settings made by the aperture ring or shutter speed dial are disabled.
•• The focus, exposure and White Balance are all fixed to optimal values for the first picture. If the focusing or brightness of pictures recorded as part of a panorama picture after the first picture are significantly different from those of the first picture, the panorama picture as a whole (when all pictures are stitched together) may not have consistent focus and brightness.
•• When the picture effect (Filter) is set, [White Balance] is fixed to [AWB].
•• Since several pictures are stitched together to create a panorama picture, some subjects may be distorted or the joining portions of successively taken pictures that are stitched may be noticeable.

Panorama pictures may not be created or pictures may not be recorded properly when taking pictures of the following subjects or when taking pictures in the following recording conditions:
••Subjects that have a continuous monotone or pattern (sky, beach, etc.)
••Moving subjects (person, pet, vehicle, waves, or flowers swaying in the wind, etc.)
••Subjects whose colours or patterns change quickly (such as an image appearing on a display)
••Dark locations
••Locations with a flickering light source (fluorescent lamp, candle light, etc.)

Last edited:
........ "Trust" is probably the best way I can describe how I feel about the LX100. I trust that when I hit the shutter, it's going to capture the scene as I want it, and just as well as the other camera (the GH3) I could pick up......

Do you find LX100 to be as reliable in focusing on the subject accurately and fast like your GH3? I had the E-M5 and E-M1...which I find to be very reliable in getting what I want....but I just could not connect with it...especially E-M1. X100S on the other is a camera I could connect with...but I cannot use the same expectation I had with the OMD on it. I need to be a little more forgiving on X100S in some situations.

Last edited:
Do you find LX100 to be as reliable in focusing on the subject accurately and fast like your GH3? I had the E-M5 and E-M1...which I find to be very reliable in getting what I want....but I just could not connect with it...especially E-M1. X100S on the other is a camera I could connect with...but I cannot use the same expectation I had with the OMD on it. I need to be a little more forgiving on X100S in some situations.

Personally, found it just as fast and accurate, if not slightly faster due to the DFD technology. To be fair, I didnt get to push it very hard by shooting fast moving subjects like sports, etc. Most of my scenes were fairly still. What I found challenging was selection of AF points ( can see my earlier comment on that)

Thanks Kandinsky :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Any idea when this camera is coming out in Singapore?!

I am super tempted to buy this thing... Great review btw.

Panny will be showing the LX100 at next saturday (15th Nov) roadshow at Funan. Maybe it will be on sale on the same day?

Thanks Kandinsky :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome!

Any idea when this camera is coming out in Singapore?!

I am super tempted to buy this thing... Great review btw.

No idea on release date. Thanks!

Panny will be showing the LX100 at next saturday (15th Nov) roadshow at Funan. Maybe it will be on sale on the same day?

From what I understand, won't be on sale that day, but will have display sets for people to play with.

Thanks kandinky for the info. Shame LX100 will not be on sale next saturday...but will still be good for those who want to play with it. Will be interesting to get a feel of it.

Great review and images you have there! It's making me thinking really hard...lol

DPreview of LX100: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

The Final Word

It should be apparent that we really liked the LX100. It's not a small camera, but it's not that much bigger than the likes of the Canon PowerShot G12, which people happily carried around. And, importantly, it offers significantly better image quality than pretty much any zoom compact ever made. It's not a camera entirely without flaws but most of them are so minor that it's unlikely they'll ever be more than slight irritations about a camera you'll love.

Other than size, it's the camera's zoom range that stops it being the ideal camera for a majority of dedicated photographers. I did find the 24-75mm equivalent range a touch restrictive, but it's the only major concern I had: my overall experience has been much more about what the camera can do than what it can't. The LX100 is a pleasure to use and offers superb image quality. I'd consider it the best photographers' cameras on the market and probably the best zoom compact ever made.

Great review! Well done! Loved your write-up and your fantastic images! Tried the camera in Crossing Bridges 11 and have to say it is one of the best compacts I have used, ever.

Great review! Well done! Loved your write-up and your fantastic images! Tried the camera in Crossing Bridges 11 and have to say it is one of the best compacts I have used, ever.

Thanks bro!

Finally. LR update with support for LX100 is here.

New Camera Support in Lightroom 5.7

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon PowerShot G7 X
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS
Casio EX-100PRO
Fujifilm X30
Fujifilm X100T
Fujifilm X-T1 Graphite Silver
Leaf Credo 50
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
Leica M-P
Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
Leica X (Typ 113)
Nikon D750
Olympus PEN E-PL7
Olympus STYLUS 1s
Panasonic DMC-CM1
Panasonic DMC-GM1S
Panasonic DMC-GM5
Panasonic DMC-LX100
Pentax K-S1
Pentax QS-1
Samsung NX1
Sony ILCE-5100
Sony ILCE-QX1

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/lightroom-5-7-now-available.html

kandinsky, I see that you use VSCO, how is the performance for cameras that are not supported? Since VSCO doesn't support any Panasonic cameras at all will you lose out in that sense or is it fine using standard profiles?

kandinsky, I see that you use VSCO, how is the performance for cameras that are not supported? Since VSCO doesn't support any Panasonic cameras at all will you lose out in that sense or is it fine using standard profiles?

Personally, I've found the standard profiles to perform fine. I haven't done any A-B tests, so I don't really know if I'm 'losing out'. But I know what you mean though. When you see that there are profiles for the other camera makes, can't help wonder if the results will somehow be better if there were Panasonic-specific profiles. But since there aren't any for Panny, no point wondering! I'll just take their word for it.

Custom calibrated camera profiles for Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Leica are included in all Adobe VSCO Film versions. For all other cameras that do not have a custom camera profile you can use the Standard VSCO Film presets to still achieve exceptional results.

https://vsco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...-7-8-CC-Supported-Custom-Camera-Profiles-List

You can judge the performance for yourself by taking a look at the images in this thread. When I was reviewing the LX100, there was no support for LX100 raw files in LR yet, so I think the VSCO standard profiles have done pretty okay even on JPG files, but others may disagree of course.

Last edited:
Cool will give it a shot, I think there is some hope for the LX100 though as VSCO has support for Leica cameras perhaps they will add the D-LUX (Type 109) and we can just use that for LX100 raw photos.