Panasonic GX7 review mk2

Yeah, that to me was the biggest turn off for the Em-5. People raved about it, but the splotchy shadows were quite a nuisance especially in high contrast scenes.

APS-C and FF grain tends to be more film-like. :bsmilie:

(Personally, Grain styling to me is more important than all the high ISO gibberish. At the very minimum, at least the image has some sense of style with the grain, but if it adopts some splotchy murky crap, it's not much of an image).

Here's one at ISO125, maybe you will like this too :)

Long Exposure, Panasonic 7-14mm, 7mm at ISO125, 30s, F16, +2/3EV. diffraction sets in, so shot is a little mushy.

Here's one at ISO125, maybe you will like this too :)

Long Exposure, Panasonic 7-14mm, 7mm at ISO125, 30s, F16, +2/3EV. diffraction sets in, so shot is a little mushy.
:thumbsup:

Definitely better grain.

A few more shots from Suzhou 山塘街

HDR in camera, ooc jpeg. With Panasonic 7-14mm, F6.3, 7mm, ISO200, 1/80s

With Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8, ISO1600, 1/80s

With Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8, ISO200, 1/400s

Suzhou is famous for it's beauty, all ooc jpeg, standard color mode

With Olympus 75/1.8 @F1.8, ISO3200, 1/250s. Spot on white balance and skintone looks really good here.

With Olympus 75/1.8 @F1.8, ISO3200, 1/50s

It's great that Panasonic's jpeg processing is maturing fast. Still probably a few steps behind Olympus, but getting there.

Yup, pretty impressed with it coming from one who's used Oly for past 7 years :) so far standard mode is what I prefer for portraiture and vivid for others, can still be a hit and miss though for skintone,especially vivid. But yes, getting there!

@Nazgulking, wonglp - i m curious to see what you mean by splotchy shadows using the EM-5 compared to GX 7 ? Would you have an example to display here that i could see?

I use the GX 1 at the moment and was planning on upgrading to either EP -5 or GX -7. The GX -7 images seems a bit more organic to me. Maybe that is what you mean by better grain?

Hi Akkers

Did the EP5 review a while back, here's the post which shows the ISO100 (available on EP5 but not EM5) vs ISO200, the "splotchy shadows" can be seen on ISO200 shot. EP5 / EM5 has same engine, so the IQ is same as well except for additional ISOLow (ISO100).

@Nazgulking, wonglp - i m curious to see what you mean by splotchy shadows using the EM-5 compared to GX 7 ? Would you have an example to display here that i could see?

I use the GX 1 at the moment and was planning on upgrading to either EP -5 or GX -7. The GX -7 images seems a bit more organic to me. Maybe that is what you mean by better grain?

Go fish:

_6120181.jpg by NazgulKing, on Flickr

An enlargement of the corner:

_6120181-enlargement.jpg by NazgulKing, on Flickr

Some people are ok, some aren't. I'm not, sadly. I sold off this cam for something else since.

Last edited:
I see what you mean.
I m assuming this is visible in both raw and jpegs?

I think it's visible in raw as well. I need to dig up the files from somewhere... I suspect some NR kicked in despite me setting it to the lowest setting.