Panasonic GH3

Hmmm... I'm confused, because you already stated it earlier:

(which you can find on whichever lens is attached to your GH3 at the moment)

Hi kandinsky,

I usually use my 12-35mm f2.8 lens attached to my GH3.

Yes, it has a focus ring to rotate during Manual Focus.

The thing that I am trying to get it that when I rotate this ring, usually everything will be focussed as I turn the ring.

The question is how do I use the ring to focus front or focus the back ?

Thanks

The thing that I am trying to get it that when I rotate this ring, usually everything will be focussed as I turn the ring.

The question is how do I use the ring to focus front or focus the back ?

Thanks

By rotating it... :sweat:

For additional help, set Custom > MF guide to ON and you will see a distance scale that tells you where you are in terms of your focus distance. Please, please please, you really need to read your manual...

Os5Nk75.png

ew0NlT0.png

Thanks bro kandinsky for the tips ... cheers

Hi guys,

Just migrated from Canon 5D2 to GH3 recently, fantastic camera for fast turnarounds and lighter support equipments in summary.

I have been trying out different profiles settings (standard -4/-4/-1/-5, neutral -5/-5/-1/-5 etc), but due to time restriction I couldn't test out more varieties of them.

For me color profiles are important for express grading, so I kindly request if any fellow users would like to share their profile settings and comments on the post grade ability here?

Thanks

I've also settled on Nat -5, -5, 0, -5 (C/SH/Sat/NR).

Check out this really long thread, a lot of people have run their own tests and posted recommendations/comments: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7091/gh3-best-video-settings/p1

Here's a pretty good summary I read:

There are other forums that dive into greater detail, but some of the consensus thoughts are:

• "natural" color profile seems to have the highest DR, but I've also seen "vivid" recommended in lower light
  • Most people like to dial down the contrast, but others claim it messes with skin tones if taken all the way to -4 or -5
  • Most people seem to not dial saturation all the way down, because when too much color info is taken away it's hard to get it back especially in low light
  • -5 sharpness, because over-sharpening can introduce artifacts
  • -5 noise reduction is pretty much a given to maintain detail
by:xerophytenyc
via: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3616565#forum-post-53017810

Thank you for the kind replies, I'm gona start working on this profile settings since its tested and proven for you guys.

Any views on using the Oly 9mm F8 FE lens for stabilizer works?

Kinda cool to have such a light and centralized gravity setup for stabilizer shots, wonder if anyone is using it too?

whenever I need to do events, I am usually on the Panny 20 f1.7 on a shoulder rig. decent and versatile FOV, good focal length for interviews also.

Hi guys, just got hold of a GH3 with the voigtlander 25mm 0.95 and the panasonic 12-35mm.
Does anyone know where in SG sells the Tiffen brand of variable ND filters?
Those using a similar setup, what kind of ND filters are you using? Do they allow you to mount a lens hood and would you recommend them?

Thanks a lot!

I have the LEE Polyester 4x4 ND Filter set with a mattebox. have not used the filter set yet though. bought from Cathay Photo. I think Cathay does sell Tiffen glass NDs too.

thanks guys. i did see that cathay photo stocks that but not sure if they do other filter sizes. Will check with them coz would prefer not to have to get a step down ring. Cheers!

Thanks bro kandinsky for the tips ... cheers

Ryan you need to study the manual. You need to understand your lens to achieve your desired focus. Wide lens will make almost everything sharp. The longest tele lens coupled with widest aperture will let you make your subject sharp and the background out of focus. Practise and master all the settings while at home not during a speech.

Mine has only experienced 5C at most, but good to know it'll survive -40C :bsmilie:

[video=vimeo;107231188]https://vimeo.com/107231188[/video]

Temujin Doran sent me a link to his latest video. It’s a documentary shot with the Panasonic GH3 in Antarctica. This is his brief report for 43rumors:

In 2013 I was the filmmaker attached to the Scott Expedition – the journey that completed Captain Scott’s final, ill-fated expedition from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole and back again. Our team passed through Union Glacier Camp on route to the starting point of Scott’s Hut at Cape Evans, but after becoming stranded at the camp and working with the staff there; I decided to make this documentary. The whole film was shot on a Panasonic GH3, with some additional shots done with a GoPro.

From a technical side of things – I’ve been working with m43 Panasonic cameras and lenses in the Arctic and Antarctic for several years now. Whilst all camera’s suffer in the cold, these have never given me problems whilst filming and have been used in temperatures as low as -40˚C. Battery life is somewhat diminished, but I carry lots of spares and have close to my body to keep them warm.

During the making of this documentary I never once put the camera in it’s bag. If I wasn’t using it, I just left it in my tent., which isn’t that much warmer than outside. The same went for the lenses – I used the Lumix 12-35mm F2.8, the 35-100mm F2.8 and the 100-300mm F4.0-5.6. For sound I used a Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro with a Dead Kitten in an attempt to block most of the wind. Most of the shots were on a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod.

I’m currently working on the Scott Expedition documentary. The two members of the team each took with them a Panasonic GX7 with a Lumix 14mm F2.5 lens for capturing photos, video diaries and footage from the ice. During the expedition, the batteries were charged via solar panels,

If you’re interested, you can see all the short films I made for the Scott Expedition here – http://studiocanoe.com/expeditions/

As this is a camera blog – I’m almost certain that someone is going to say that I’ll have to go back and do it again, because it wasn’t shot in 4K.

via 4/3rumors: http://www.43rumors.com/gh3-shoots-antarctica-video-at-40˚c/