Optical zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.
frankly, it's up to you. as far as i know, very few folks are using kodak digicams in the first place, so you'd probably be placing yourself in a minority group.

the key thing that focal length does is to change your perspective when shooting - i'm not good in explaining terms, but it either gives you really closeup feeling in wide angle shots (depending on the surroundings, of course), and tele usually compresses the perspective.

wheek said:
Gee, then I guess the Kodak DX6440 is the one for me! I shoot mid focal most of the time but I would like to have that extra reach just in case the situation calls for it. So the 135mm would come in useful. And since the DX6440 has 33mm, I guess it'll come in useful for wide too. Best of both worlds I guess. :D

I think in terms of focal length, the Kodak is ahead since it is both wider AND longer. However, it takes more than focal length to make a good camera. Have you compared the image samples from both cameras ? Read at least several reviews and opinions from people who have used either one ? Check out its design and ergonomics ? Don't choose a camera based solely on its focal length. It would be a mistake. You need to see the overall performance and handling as well.

anyway... since the diff is not so much... u can just move forward or backward abit to get closer or further...
i think wat matters most is that u like how the camera feels :)

Ok besides the Kodak DX6440, I was also looking at the Canon Ixus 400. Now for some noob questions. For the Kodak, I notice they had modes like sports (for fast action photos), night, portrait, landscape, etc. And all one had to do was turn the dial to the respective one & viola.

I notice the Ixus 400 doesn't have all these modes. So if I was to want to say take fast action shots for e.g. Wat do I do? Or portrait shots, landscape shots, low light shots, etc. Does it mean I have to adjust the settings manually? This is what worries me since I'm a newbie u see.

hopefully you won't soon outgrow the preset modes, and face a possible lack of "manual" controls.. i know nothing about the kodak, but do check for ability to do manual controls.

sehsuan said:
hopefully you won't soon outgrow the preset modes, and face a possible lack of "manual" controls.. i know nothing about the kodak, but do check for ability to do manual controls.
Ok then let's not use Kodak as an e.g. How about the Canon Powershot S45 or even the S50? Like I said, my main concern is without these preset modes on the Ixus 400, how do I set those things? Manually is it?

Ok never mind. I already got the Ixus 400. Anyway, just to answer my own question, I went to Harvey Norman & tried both the Kodak DX6440 (4x optical which is about 132mm) & Ixus 400 (3x optical about 108mm). I zoomed both to max optical & placed the cameras side by side & focused on several items.

Surprise surprise, not much diff wor! I was expecting the 132mm to bring me significanlty closer to the item but it didn't. Just a tiny bit closer. Hmm......

wheek said:
Ok never mind. I already got the Ixus 400. Anyway, just to answer my own question, I went to Harvey Norman & tried both the Kodak DX6440 (4x optical which is about 132mm) & Ixus 400 (3x optical about 108mm). I zoomed both to max optical & placed the cameras side by side & focused on several items.

Surprise surprise, not much diff wor! I was expecting the 132mm to bring me significanlty closer to the item but it didn't. Just a tiny bit closer. Hmm......

The difference at the long end is less than the wide end for the same number of mm. It's a perspective thing I think...

Anyway, I'm not sure if the IXUS 400 does not have preset modes. I think it's just hidden in the sub-menus and not on the dial like the Kodak.

That Kodak model u look at is one of their higher end ones. And whatever people say about Kodak, it has one very great advantage over the others - it is very very easy to use. Most of the functions are placed on the surface of the camera in the form of buttons or dials. U dun need to scroll through lots of sub-menus to get to the "cheemer" stuff. That's my experience with a 3.2MP Kodak that I played around with (my friend's). Of course u tend to lose the more hardcore aspects of a camera in the form of lack manual controls. Or at least manual controls with less options compared to say an S45 or S50 or even a IXUS400.

Depends on what u want lar..... if u outgrow this camera.... go buy another one lor........ :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.