OM-5

Here are the specs for the OM-5. Nice that they have included Starry Sky AF, previously only available on the EM1 Mk3.

Nothing said whether they have improved on the AI on focussing on Birds and Animals or is OMDS only going to reserve it for the OM1?
I will probably wait for reviews on the performance of the OM5 in terms of improvement on focussing.
After all, this is something I wish for, and another features which are not easily done with an iPhone eg. Composite Photos etc.
I am OK if the resolution remains the same, but any improvement on noise reduction will be great.
Not that the Noise in my EM5 Mk3 is bad, but technology have improved and I know there are room for improvement.

Wished I understand Japanese, there seems to be built in ND Filter (nice, so I don't have to carry one and fix it on for waterfall shots etc when I am trekking.

There seems to be some improvement AI on focussing, not sure what the brochure photo of the bee and flower means???

OMDS..... pls do a market survey on the price. A lot of EM5 users are pondering on whether to upgrade.
It is Price vs Benefits. I am not saying that it must be cheap, but the additional benefits must make it worthwhile LOL
I just want a very light DSLR with features my iphone cannot provide.

The flower and butterfly is saying procapture mode, you can see from the graphic red line indicating 1st shutter press to full 2nd. press. 14 images recorded before actually activating shutter.

As said before, OMDS using same playbook as Panasonic giving teasers. The only significant change I see is the bigger on/off switch which is welcomed. Other features are nothing to shout about as apart to offering camera with different lens combo. I know it's cost saving by using same body toolings but a improved grip would be better but it would increase the overall size or at least provide a dumb grip or battery grip for portrait shooting.
OM-5-21.jpg

Reactions: Pitachu
A 43rumors user, Surab said the following.
Quote of part of his comment:
{ Just for comparison, a Nikon Z5 has a higher res EVF and a larger screen, it has a full frame sensor with decent AF, and it has dual SD UHSII card slots and it launched 2 or 3 years ago for a very similar price. }
UnQuote

He is right.

In addition, OMDS OM-5 got 3 serious problems.
• Nikon Z mount is a much better & modern & bigger mount. Similarly the Canon RF mount is much superior to the M43 mount.
• A camera branded as "OM System" will be rejected by many as it has zero brand recognition/presence/image/pedigree/public trust.
• If JIP/OMDS wants to exploit the loyalty of die hard fans, it won't work because the brand is not "Olympus". Instead it is an unwanted Frankenstein.

See my >>> Replies below

A 43rumors user, Surab said the following.
Quote of part of his comment:
{ Just for comparison, a Nikon Z5 has a higher res EVF and a larger screen, it has a full frame sensor with decent AF, and it has dual SD UHSII card slots and it launched 2 or 3 years ago for a very similar price. }
UnQuote

He is right.

In addition, OMDS OM-5 got 3 serious problems.
• Nikon Z mount is a much better & modern & bigger mount. Similarly the Canon RF mount is much superior to the M43 mount.
>>> So Medium Format and Large Format is even better and much more superior?

• A camera branded as "OM System" will be rejected by many as it has zero brand recognition/presence/image/pedigree/public trust.
>>> Rejected? I am not aware of any M43 users who rejected OM System. If it meet their needs they would just upgrade to it.
If M43 is no longer suitable, then they just move on to another brand. This is not reject, but selecting a more suitable system.

• If JIP/OMDS wants to exploit the loyalty of die hard fans, it won't work because the brand is not "Olympus". Instead it is an unwanted Frankenstein.
>>> Exploited? How? Obviously you have lost touch and not aware that OMDS continues to offer firmware updates to Olympus Cameras after it has taken over. They have also continue to organize events for us. I don't see Nikon doing all these when I was using Nikon.

>>> OMDS just have to woo me and other Olympus users with their offerings to upgrade as I said in my earlier post.

Just saw this article. I was right. THe OM-5 will be a great Travel camera. And I don't think anyone is concerned that the Olympus logo on OM-1 is changed to OM-5. Most M43 users seems to know of this transition and is aware that OM-1 is manufactured by OM Systems and OM System will be manufacturing OM-5 too.

"The OM-1 has already shot to the top of our guide to the best wildlife cameras you can buy, so if the OM-5 packs some of its speed, computational modes and stabilization into a smaller body, we'll be very keen to take it for a spin on our travels. "

OM-5 = Em1iii tech inside a Em5iii body.

Here is video review of OM5.
Notable features:
1. No video time limit.
2. 50 MP. high resolution handheld shooting.
3. Live ND in stills photo.
4. Improved weather sealing as OM1, IP53.

The new omds system logo .

IMG_20221026_220802.jpg

The very first camera to bear OM System badge on top and they gave us a piece of same old technology equipment…wow. Sad day.

Not sad la..haha this will be a collector's item. For people who is upgrading from phone camera to real photography.

What crap.
This 3 can be done with a firmware update

1. No video time limit.
2. 50 MP. high resolution handheld shooting.
3. Live ND in stills photo.

Everything else is just OLD even the body.

@ricohflex think your prediction may come true but the mft will be around.

After going thru the review, yes, it is good that OMDS has managed to squeeze in the EM1 Mk3 into the EM5 mk3 body,
but sadly, I don't think it provide enough reasons for me to go upgrade.

1. No video time limit --> Most EM5 users only used the video mode for short videos eg. some one juggling on the street etc
2. 50 MP. high resolution handheld shooting. - I have never used this mode on my EM5 mk3 anyway
3. Live ND in stills photo - nice, but I will not upgrade to OM5 just to get this feature as I already have ND filters
4. Improved weather sealing as OM1, IP53.- The EM5 Mk3 already has very good sealing even though it is not rated.

The above are not enough to persuade a EM5 Mk3 user like me to upgrade as it is really too trivial.

I would expect at lease OMDS would have put in the OM-1 stacked sensor for improved ISO, update the menu system
and improve the AF.

Patience. Wait and monitor how it turns out in terms of sales and % market share.
Some will buy. Die hard fans and those with sunken costs already deeply invested in M43, may buy.
Will new buyers who are starting to build a system, buy this?
I do not think so. Factor in what the competition can offer in this price ball park bracket.
Consider the long term view. OMDS or OM Systems have a longevity problem.
They are a temporary fiscal vehicle for JIP. Can be here today and gone tomorrow.

He say.
Not I say.
28 minutes of condemnation.

Patience. Wait and monitor how it turns out in terms of sales and % market share.
>>>Ha Ha! Do you really wait and monitor any model sales and % market share before buying a camera model?
>>>Is that how you look for a camera that best suits your needs?

Some will buy. Die hard fans and those with sunken costs already deeply invested in M43, may buy.
I do not think so. Factor in what the competition can offer in this price ball park bracket.
>>>We don't buy just because we are die hard fans
>>>Die hard fans with sunken costs like me will still NOT buy if the improved features are not useful to me.
>>>We buy only because the new model better meed our requirements.

>>>Really? My friend who bought Sony Top of the LIne Alpha A900 and other friends who bought the
Canon EOS-M series or Nikon V1 (small size DSLR that tried to copy Olympus) are all crying.
Bigger brands can still chop off and more likely to chop off product lines that are not selling well.

They are a temporary fiscal vehicle for JIP. Can be here today and gone tomorrow.
>>> Temporary Fiscal Vehicle? If you are a Finance Director in JIP, would you approve a Temporary Fiscal Vehicle that throw away tens of millions (maybe hundred of millions) on something which you do not strongly believe will work out in 3 to 5 years?

Nothing new. He is just being factual. Most of us also find it the OM5 under-whelming.

I am now torn between getting the OM-1 but have to bear with the extra bulk and weight
or just continue to use my EM5 Mk3 which I am very happy with.

He say.
Not I say.
He say.
Not I say.

Looking at the reactions from various review sites, the conclusion of this OM-5 launched is underwhelming.

When OMS was rebrand last year, the message was a new beginning…and they now gave us a old tech OM-5.

Maybe a new OM-3 will save the situation ..lol

Only the brand ambassadors are supporting it.

Em5iii seems to be better buy now as it is discontinued and has discount;-)

Strangely nobody cry foul when canon does the same thing, which is incremental features they put into their cameras. I think the consumers expect more but then OMDS should do like Pentax did to have features that other cameras will not put in even in their mid range cameras like weather sealing, frame rates and other innovative features simply because Pentax is the underdog but ultimately because it does not have the professionals' endorsement or support it trails behind others plus it does not do strong arm tactics in marketing rather it depends on loyal fans.

Still OM5 is a capable camera in it's own right right . I think it would have a more favourable outing if the design team break out of their mindset and redesign the ergonomics of the camera, that would mean a slightly bulkier hand grip , better viewfinder. Even Leica, Fuji , canon and Panasonic spot the same square top LCD screen so how innovative are they?

Design aesthetics is important as consumers not only want capable but also good looking products. I hope OMDS learn something from om5 debut debacle and be daring to break from convention. I really think OMDS need a savy design leader to advise their design team. The Achilles heal is the design of the image processor and now the AI chip that Sony a7r5 uses and yet it is the same 61mp sensor but with improved autofocus and better skin tones in this 5th generation camera as the complaints from professionals main complaint that continued to dog Sony from 1st. gen and now they have come to address it so as to compete with canon and Nikon.

Edit: Talk has it that sony had working versions of their 100mp and 200mp fullframe sensors but did not bring it to market for various reasons but then from hindsight the autofocus and powerful processors did not exist then plus the lenses that can resolve the high resolution output. High speed memory is also another.

Edit 1: Canon R had previous tech DSLR 6D MK2 sensor.

Upcoming canon R6 MK2 using R3 sensor since it's bsi stacked sensor it is a huge improvement over the mk1 sensor. So again a trickle down approach without the high price tag of R3.

Last edited:
I guess the expectations were too high on the OM-5 because when EM5 MK3 was released, it has the same sensor and focus pts as the EM1 Mk2 and even the EM1 mk3. OMDS can do away with some of the bells and whistles like dual SD card, full magnesium body etc to keep the price of the OM-5 much lower like the EM-5, but to used back the same sensor and focus points of the EM5 Mk3 is a very wrong move.

OM-5 would have been much more exciting if it has the same sensor as the OM-1. After all, the difference in cost between the 2 sensors cannot be that much.
Why would EM5 Mk3 want to upgrade if it is the same sensor? After all, the current EM5 users should be the main target audience. New users will only get M43 if they are attracted by the smaller lenses. Otherwise, there are certainly other options to look at.

At the same time, OMDS should have also taken the opportunity to revise the outdated Menu and the grip of the EM-5 since these are some of the minor complaints from users.

Last edited: