OM-1 Users Review

Pitachu

Sep 18, 2019
Hi OM-1 users, I am considering getting the OM System OM-1 (upgrade from my EM5 Mk3)

I would like to know if anyone has any positive and negative feedback on the camera before I get one.

I would especially like to know if there are any technical or reliability issues.

Thank you

Stay with your EM5mk3.

Unless you want the slightly faster but erratic AF, Better noise control, 2 SD slot (which EM1mk2, mk3 and X also offers) more than Bird AF ( EMx offers the Bird AF) Longer battery life but you need to pay extra for the charger, Expensive grip that offers less then the HLD-9, A change in menu from your existing, Menu button on the wrong side (a defeat to single hand operation). Not sure if your EM5mk3 have digital ND.

And yes, I sound like that negative guy. ;)

As a EM1x and EM1ii ex-user, the observation on OM-1 base on my limited use.

1) Battery life really last longer (to me 50% more shots per full charge)
2) The bird tracking really works with more keepers and able to track with messy background(see photo). EM1x bird tracking is the ok but will miss most of the time especially when the subject moves.
3) I am confident to shoot at ISO8000 with Om1(compared to ISO3200 to EM1X) as i process my images via IPad photoshop only.
4) The 240FPS video mode, great for wildlife video which I use alot.
5) I do not use other modes.
6) happy to be back to smaller size camera in term of weight saving but miss the integrated grip Em1x offers. The battery grip of OM1 is v expensive.

In conclusion If i am not into Birds action shots and for better keeper rate, I wont upgrade from em1x.
When i go holiday, i am very happy with my 11 year old ep-3.

Attachments

• 8F09CB84-3C3E-4BDA-B175-F0478BE2AD48.jpeg
    8F09CB84-3C3E-4BDA-B175-F0478BE2AD48.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the negative feed back. I am actually looking for them as most reviewers / ambassadors mentioned very little about them.

Besides the AF,
1) I got friends who told me of sudden death even though battery is about half
2) sticky front dial on the grip which is not as easy to turn as other brands
3) Lightroom handling of OM-1 RAW files

Anyone have the same experience?

I really like the OM-1 for what it is. Bird AF, LIve ND (EM5 Mk3 does not have), Hand Held High Res shots etc
and most importantly, size of 200mm and above lenses.

Stay with your EM5mk3.

Unless you want the slightly faster but erratic AF, Better noise control, 2 SD slot (which EM1mk2, mk3 and X also offers) more than Bird AF ( EMx offers the Bird AF) Longer battery life but you need to pay extra for the charger, Expensive grip that offers less then the HLD-9, A change in menu from your existing, Menu button on the wrong side (a defeat to single hand operation). Not sure if your EM5mk3 have digital ND.

And yes, I sound like that negative guy. ;)

So far, I have been using the 2 batteries that came with the camera and have not experience sudden death. I refuse to buy that overpriced grip so I cannot comment on that either. That ORF, I resort to shooting Jpg. Nothing supported the ORF for almost a year since I got the OM1. Affinity, which I use, only supported it with the Affinity 2 release which cost $$. In worst case, I had to convert to DNG to edit in Affinity. Not sure about LR as i don't use it.

I forgot to mention, After some explanation from some expert, The problem with the erratic AF while using the small AF target stamps from the fact that the camera uses Contrast instead of phase. While Continuous AF (C-AF) uses both contrast and phase. So I have switched to C-AF and I find it slightly better.

Last edited:
It is actually quite a normal reaction. I have already met a few photographers using Sony and Nikon and just get the OM-1 for some of the features / lenses not available on their FF system.

Anyone who purchased the OM-1 for its features and intended purpose is likely to like it.
eg. Fast FPS with Pre-Shutter Release Capture (ProCapture mode), Subject ID, Live Composite etc

But if the above is not their priority eg. they want Resolution or higher dynamic range or better AF, and these are their top priority, they stay away from the OM-1 and choose other brands or models. :cool: There is no such thing as a perfect camera.

I bought the OM-1 actually because the OM-5 was not up to my expectations and I really did not expect the OM-1 performed so well when it comes to capturing birds in action. And the Live ND is just wonderful when I am on the move during my hikes and dont feel like taking my ND filter from my backpack etc.

This guy last review on M43 was the a EP1 which was more than 10 yrs ago and he hates it. Now with the Om1, he is impressed with it.

Welcome to the club.

Yes the OM-1 is a very capable camera if you can live with the few shortcomings. There are more then one way to skin a cat, just that you need to know how.