Olympus wide angle not that wide after all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the same time, do note the strengths and weaknesses of the different manufacturers.

They reflect different priorities: Oly is big in biomed imaging, the camera business is more of a sideline IMHO. Since colour reproduction and focusing accuracy is top priority in biomed, this is reflected in their SLR systems.

C's main business is cameras. So they better be at the top of the pack, else they'll be in big trouble.

But with that said when it comes to market capitalization and pure fiscal strength, Sony and Matsushita smacks all of them down. It is going to be interesting the next few years ahead.

Ok, enough OT... :sweatsm:

yipdanny said:
Quite enthusiastic earlier with Olympus DSLR and Zuiko Digital 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens until I found out that the wide angle not that wide after convert to f35mm equiv. Refer below to calculate:

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Digital-SLR-lenses.htm
:(

You should have found out about the crop factor b4 buying right? That was one of the problems with olympus lens line up. No sub $1k ultra wides. For C/N there are many third party 12-24mm lens which is less than $1k. Big difference in price compared to the 7-14mm zuiko. Of course the performance is better but I bet you cannot tell the difference if I post two landscape shots taken by two different lens.

On the bright side, you get two VERY capable 14-54mm and 50-200mm lens which C/N don't have in terms of size and weight and performance. For hobbyist, the zuiko lens is strong in the tele side esp the 50-200mm which is very small and light.

Hi Danny,

I don't know but I get the impression from the way you use the word 'you' in your postings that you think that we didn't know about all these things about crop factor, focal length multiplier etc before we buy into the Olympus system. :dunno:

Actually we all do know or at least should have by now after owning and using the Olympus system for so long. So all those 'educational' sites that you asked us to go read are really old news to us. ;)

But I do hope that you have digested enough of what you have gather from these sites to make an informed decision in your own purchase.

yipdanny said:

Thanks for the recap. I did just that before choosing my system.
I don't like buying different sensor sizes to get the focal length I want.

Many people follow the crowd, but people who choose and like Olympus/4-3 system, I guess, they don't choose blindly.

What's the crop factor of 5D vs 645 medium format?

I see people complain about cost for wide lenses on certain system, but also weight on tele lenses on certain system.
I can pay for the difference in cost for 7-14mm vs 12-24mm, but I would rather carry a Zuiko 150mm (300mm equiv) f2.0 lens vs 300mm f2.8 EF lens.

Majority of people don't just go wide, they want everything under the sun, from super wide to super tele.
For such cases, total-up the costs for decent quality lenses, and I guess one any system will end up witht the same costs (optics wise).

Well I guess more people are upgrading from PNS to DSLR and I am one of them. Therefore using the word "you" here means for newbie like myself to make better decision. ;)

Don't be over sensitive over minor things like this. :nono:

Anyway edited and rephrased on my previous posting since you find the word "you" bothers you. Cheers!:)

tomcat said:
Hi Danny,

I don't know but I get the impression from the way you use the word 'you' in your postings that you think that we didn't know about all these things about crop factor, focal length multiplier etc before we buy into the Olympus system. :dunno:

Actually we all do know or at least should have by now after owning and using the Olympus system for so long. So all those 'educational' sites that you asked us to go read are really old news to us. ;)

But I do hope that you have digested enough of what you have gather from these sites to make an informed decision in your own purchase.

The experience Oly owners here are all very friendly. I remember I got super detail helpful information on OM lens on Oly body when I first start playing with that combination. Just try not to put conclusive statement as a way to get more information or help.

Check the beautiful pictures here for a glimse of what other people is able to produce using the E system:
http://www.myfourthirds.com/

If you have already decided on C/N/S, maybe some of the Oly owner who used them or still using them could give you some helpful information too.

You may want to check out Sony lastest release after they 'ate' KM. MS Color is having the road show this weekend. They send a sms to me.

yipdanny said:
Well I guess more people are upgrading from PNS to DSLR and I am one of them. Therefore using the word "you" here means for newbie like myself to make better decision. ;)

Anyway edited and rephrased on my previous posting since you find the word "you" bothers you. Cheers!:)

yipdanny said:

I just find that before finding enough info, the title of this thread just doens't make much sense.

To me, if I really want to post a topic like this, could be : Oly widest angle lens is too expensive for me after all.

Anyway, Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 is designed to be 22-44mm equivalent in the first place. Because, it can be mounted onto a 4/3 camera only. There's no "cropping" or whatsoever, unless Oly comes out with a new format 2/3 camera system.

Unlike 17-40 f4 L, which was designed as super-wide 17mm initially for 135 format, but with the intro of APS-C, many people uses it as a wide 27mm lens because of the 1.6x crop-factor.

Raptor1 said:
Well .. at least the 11-22mm is wide enough for this..

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=2339849#post2339849

*seems that my wb is off = (*

Raptor1, that's nice.

I have tried 7-14mm before, it's not easy to use, too wide. Need to be very careful and selective in choosing subject. Many people still feel that the 11-22 is more practical. But anyway, 7-14 can create very dramatic ultra wide from experience photogs, and I am not.

Yes, the 11-22mm is much easier to use then compared to the 7-14mm. Even @ 11-22mm, there are already visible perspective distortions. I am still very new to photography, and this 11-22mm which should be easier to use is already giving me a challenge.

While i am still learning to tame this "kitten", i can't imagine how i could tame the 7-14mm "lion" :p

I don't really know why people like to compare wide with wider and widest lens.. just use the 1 that is suited to take the situation. if i could take the same rainbow photo @ 40mm instead of 11mm, i would. If you could take the same photo @ 11mm.. would u take it at 7mm ??

Of course, all these are assuming that you have all the lens range you want/need. But, if i only have 11-22mm (which i do), and i could only capture the whole rainbow @ 7mm, would i curse that i should had gotten the 7-14mm? No. i believe we would have to make do with what we have. Either i step backwards and try to fit the whole thing(option 1).. or capture only part of the rainbow(option2) or.. stitch multiple photos(option 3).

I am not saying ultra wides such as the 7-14mm is not good. Just that, with it's perspective distortions, i would say it has pretty specific uses. Which means it is not suited for everybody.

buy lens must be happy....dun complain mah.....i want to buy 11-22mm also no money...if i can afford of course i will buy both 7-14mm and 11-22mm..and maybe fisheye 8.5mm

can someone donate money to me to fulfill my dreams? hahahaha

Dunno abt others but for me 4/3 and oly offers me wut i feel is important to me convincing me to switch over. hehe...:bsmilie:

Actually, many people (not all) don't really realise before they get their hands on it, eg.

1. I like large aperture zoom. After purchase - wah so heavy!

2. I like IS/VR, can stop down 3 stop. After purchase - wah.. not suitable for moving subject

3. I like super wide zoom. After purchase - wah, not really very sharp.

4. I like ultra wide angle. After purchase - wah, distortion, difficult to shoot.

5. I like high megapixel. After purchase - wah, I need Dual Core + 2GB RAM for the huge RAWs.

ykkok said:
Actually, many people (not all) don't really realise before they get their hands on it, eg.

2. I like IS/VR, can stop down 3 stop. After purchase - wah.. not suitable for moving subject

4. I like ultra wide angle. After purchase - wah, distortion, difficult to shoot.

5. I like high megapixel. After purchase - wah, I need Dual Core + 2GB RAM for the huge RAWs.

Very very true... :bsmilie:

ykkok said:

i think once u realised these, u had already burnt a big big hole at your pocket.

This one I think I know:

6. I like the next E-3, but It is too expensive for me :)

ykkok said:

ch5800 said:
ykkok said:

This one I think I know:

6. I like the next E-3, but It is too expensive for me :)

How abt this? ;p

7. I like the particular brand, After purchase - wah, other brands is much better.

Its like married liao and yet still having scandals... haha :p

Status
Not open for further replies.