OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 5

I been using optech for few years when I got my 7D. Used them on my previous 5D2 and 5D3 too. So far quite satisfied with it. Thick padding and it don't easily slip down from shoulder as the original strap.

Rumblings of a Canon 5D Mark IV?...

[CR3 from Canon Rumours]
"We have confirmed that a high megapixel camera is coming from Canon in 2015 and it will be around 50mp. The camera will not be an EOS-1 style body, so don’t expect the price to be above $4000.
We have yet to confirm when in 2015 the camera is coming, as the exact date may be unknown to Canon at the time of writing this."

[CR3 from Canon Rumours]
"We have confirmed that a high megapixel camera is coming from Canon in 2015 and it will be around 50mp. The camera will not be an EOS-1 style body, so don’t expect the price to be above $4000.
We have yet to confirm when in 2015 the camera is coming, as the exact date may be unknown to Canon at the time of writing this."

Why can't they package 5d3 with more megapixel and price it at 6d..

*probably asking for too much :bsmilie:

[CR3 from Canon Rumours]

New FF camera ? Just wondering why so many 5D3 at B&S?

Last edited:
Hi all, Just got the 5D mark III, using the 24-70mm f2.8 mark 1.
i'm loving every picture the 5D produced.

on a side note.. does anyone ever heard of this brand "Peak Design"
there's a particular product called "Slide", it's a strap though.
wonder anyone have used it before?

and have anyone ever used the 5D in countries where temperature are about 5 - 10 degrees?

Last week I used my 5dm3 in Korea for 7 days in temp as low as -9 degrees Celsius and have not met any problem at all. My camera is working as normal as when used here.

Guess it's the upgrading trend in today's digital world. Changes are so fast in every
gadgets imaginable can't really blame them.

Will we see a Canon 5D Mark IV sometime in the New Year? Will 2015 be the year of the 52mp 5D4...

"Northlight has been told that the high resolution camera coming from Canon will be based on the 4.2 micron pixel design of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, not the long-in-the-tooth 4.3 micron design of the 18mp APS-C sensors. When translated to full frame, that totals about 52mp. It’s also suggested that delays in this camera have come from getting an economical yield from the sensor manufacturing process at full frame.
If true, this will also help the marketing department out a bit, as we expect to see Sony/Nikon to each release 46mp (only!) cameras in 2015. :)

We’re calling the camera the “EOS 3D” for now, even though we have been told by a couple of new sources, that this camera will be the EOS 5D Mark IV"

There may be a new firmware version for the Canon 5D3 coming soon. No specific release date is known however the version number is expected to be 1.3.3.

So soon...?

[CR2]

"We’re told that the next EOS 5D will come in three different versions. Two of the cameras named “EOS 5Ds” would be the high megapixel cameras with a resolution of 53mp. One of the cameras would have an AA filter and other would not. We’ve heard this sort of thing before, except the language used previously was one camera would have a low pass filter, and the other would not. There is also precedent on the “S” naming from the days of the “EOS-1D” and “EOS-1DS”.

The third camera would be an EOS 5D Mark IV, which would continue on the path of a lower megapixel event, sports, wildlife focused full frame camera. If this is true, I don’t believe all 3 cameras would come at the same time.

For the time being, there are no plans for a high resolution EOS-1 body style. However, expect the build quality of any 5D replacement to be top notch."

i have a question about 5dm3 AF points.

ok I am selecting to use the 4-point Expand AF area (one dot with 4 extra dot beside)

If my camera "Selectable AF point" I set it to "Only cross-type AF points" and with the above AF points, does it means I will not be able to fully utilize the 61 af point on this camera?

i have a question about 5dm3 AF points. ok I am selecting to use the 4-point Expand AF area (one dot with 4 extra dot beside) If my camera "Selectable AF point" I set it to "Only cross-type AF points" and with the above AF points, does it means I will not be able to fully utilize the 61 af point on this camera?

Yes. Because it only selects those AF points with cross type. Mine is set similarly to yours.

Is the Canon 5D Mark IV on the way? We may find out next week on February 6th.

CR is reporting two high mega-pixel cameras are about to be introduced in time for the CP+ show in Japan... one with and one without an 'AA' filter.

Can't wait for EOS-M3. Needs to have dual pixel AF and EVF to gain traction in this competitive market.

Another 'rumour' has evolved stating that the high pixel cameras being announced next week by Canon will contain Sony sensors containing the EXMOR technology coupled with the DualPixel AF from Canon. Both Sony and Canon will share this technology however Nikon, a company that also uses Sony sensors in their cameras, will not be given access to the DualPixel AF technology from Canon. This rumour received only a [CR1] rating so the validity of this arrangement is questionable. Regardless, it won't be long before it is validated one way or the other.

Firmware 1.3.3 available for download http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/p..._mark_iii?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware

1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).
2. Corrects some incorrect indications on the “English” and “Russian” menu screens.