OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the next "revolutionary" step in the camera industry is to produce the modular camera. This is a camera in which various parts can be chosen like a computer.

When we buy a computer, we have the flexibility to ask the manufacturer/shop to put in a certain CPU, we can determine the amount of RAM, we can assess what our hard drive needs are, etc.

The same could be true of cameras... we should be able to choose the type of sensor we want, how many megapixels we need, whether a flash unit is required, etc.

Later after the purchase, if we decide that additional megapixels are needed, we just have to 'upgrade' our camera (just like we upgrade the RAM in our computers).

I think that the next "revolutionary" step in the camera industry is to produce the modular camera. This is a camera in which various parts can be chosen like a computer.

When we buy a computer, we have the flexibility to ask the manufacturer/shop to put in a certain CPU, we can determine the amount of RAM, we can assess what our hard drive needs are, etc.

The same could be true of cameras... we should be able to choose the type of sensor we want, how many megapixels we need, whether a flash unit is required, etc.

Later after the purchase, if we decide that additional megapixels are needed, we just have to 'upgrade' our camera (just like we upgrade the RAM in our computers).

I like what you're smoking, can I have some too?

Hi 5D M3 users. I recently discovered an issue which you guys might know how to rectify. When I use P/M/AV etc except Full Auto Mode, there is a square box right in the centre column, 2nd row from the top blinking. I have no idea how to remove it. It is not the pre-focus point for AI-Servo as it is there regardless of whether it is single short/AI-Servo etc. I tried reading the manual to no avail. Please kindly advise before I do a reset on the camera. Tks!

How does the icon look like? Does it have a number 1 or 2 inside?

How does the icon look like? Does it have a number 1 or 2 inside?

Ah I fixed it! Apparently i tried to google and lucky me I chanced upon a 7D article about having fixed AF points. So you can play around with both that and the changing ones. :)

Hi 5D M3 users. I recently discovered an issue which you guys might know how to rectify. When I use P/M/AV etc except Full Auto Mode, there is a square box right in the centre column, 2nd row from the top blinking. I have no idea how to remove it. It is not the pre-focus point for AI-Servo as it is there regardless of whether it is single short/AI-Servo etc. I tried reading the manual to no avail. Please kindly advise before I do a reset on the camera. Tks!

Ah I fixed it! Apparently i tried to google and lucky me I chanced upon a 7D article about having fixed AF points. So you can play around with both that and the changing ones. :)

Good to hear that you got the "problem" fixed. Probably you registered an AF point by accident. See page 324 of the manual. Once the AF point is registered, you can jump immediately to focus on that point using a predefined* button.

*The predefined button can be either the "AF-ON", "*" or "DOF Preview" buttons (or "AF Stop" button on certain lenses) set under Custom Controls.

I'm pretty sure this had been mentioned before but i thought i'd mention it again…

Has anyone tried taking the same shot with the same settings but in different size?
For example, i tried taking a shot in RAW at ISO400 and another identical shot at mRAW at ISO400.
I was very surprised to see that the RAW photo has alot more noise than the mRAW and the detail lost int he mRAW isn't too far off from the RAW.
I know one is 22mp and the other 10mp but the mRAW doesn't lose 2x the detail but the 22mp file does have 2x the noise.

I further tried more photos at different ISO and every photo show the same result.
What's the point of 22mp then when it's actually no better than the mRAW..in fact, i've been shooting mRaw for a long time now becuase i didn't think i'd need 22mp and the filesize that goes with it..mRaw is half the size and i don't seem to lose any details on it and it had so much better noise control..

I'm pretty sure this had been mentioned before but i thought i'd mention it again…

Has anyone tried taking the same shot with the same settings but in different size?
For example, i tried taking a shot in RAW at ISO400 and another identical shot at mRAW at ISO400.
I was very surprised to see that the RAW photo has alot more noise than the mRAW and the detail lost int he mRAW isn't too far off from the RAW.
I know one is 22mp and the other 10mp but the mRAW doesn't lose 2x the detail but the 22mp file does have 2x the noise.

I further tried more photos at different ISO and every photo show the same result.
What's the point of 22mp then when it's actually no better than the mRAW..in fact, i've been shooting mRaw for a long time now becuase i didn't think i'd need 22mp and the filesize that goes with it..mRaw is half the size and i don't seem to lose any details on it and it had so much better noise control..

Interesting point. Thanks for sharing. I've never attempted mRAW before. Based on your findings, I think that I might give it a try.

Last edited:
i'm always on sraw for raws, and s1 for jpgs.. unless i need heavy cropping

i'm always on sraw for raws, and s1 for jpgs.. unless i need heavy cropping

bro, your choice is cos to save space or is as bro spinworkxroy, mentioned, better noise control? :)

Already been done to some extent, check out the Ricoh GXR.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand, RAW is unprocessed, it is basically what the sensor captures. You will need to run it through a RAW processor like LightRoom since the camera has done nothing to the image.

mRAW on the other goes through in camera processing, the image has been resized and the number of pixels lowered to achieve the smaller file size.

There is a huge difference but only if you are doing larger prints.

I was more worried about the noise control rather than filesize..but mRaw does open alot faster for PP also..that helps.
I wonder if any noise reduction is actually done in camera when shooting in mRAW since the camera reduces the size in camera, it might do noise reduction?
You can easily test the noise difference in camera by zooming in as well..it's quite obvious that the 22mp file has alot more noise than the 10mp mRAW.
Makes me wonder if Canon really meant for the mk3 to be 22mp or just an upscalled 18mp sensor or the old mk2?

I was more worried about the noise control rather than filesize..but mRaw does open alot faster for PP also..that helps.
I wonder if any noise reduction is actually done in camera when shooting in mRAW since the camera reduces the size in camera, it might do noise reduction?
You can easily test the noise difference in camera by zooming in as well..it's quite obvious that the 22mp file has alot more noise than the 10mp mRAW.
Makes me wonder if Canon really meant for the mk3 to be 22mp or just an upscalled 18mp sensor or the old mk2?

Canon does do some form of processing to mRAW files, be it merging pixels or something. So that may affect the noise level from a RAW file.

Not sure anyone noticed this. My brother and I both brought our 5dMkIII to Night Safari a week ago. At ISO50000 with Jpeg files, we noticed a pink tint on the bottom right corner of the pix. This pink cast appeared in both cameras so I would think it is not a problem with just 1 camera. I tried it at home at the same setting taking the pix in a very dark room and the pink cast is in every pix. Does anyone has got the same experience?

Not sure anyone noticed this. My brother and I both brought our 5dMkIII to Night Safari a week ago. At ISO50000 with Jpeg files, we noticed a pink tint on the bottom right corner of the pix. This pink cast appeared in both cameras so I would think it is not a problem with just 1 camera. I tried it at home at the same setting taking the pix in a very dark room and the pink cast is in every pix. Does anyone has got the same experience?

Apparently it is normal and not just limited to 5d iii.

Google amp glow.

An upscaled 18mpx sensor would be about 40+mpx.

Already been done to some extent, check out the Ricoh GXR.

Amazing!!! Design your own camera by putting in various sensor and lens combinations! The future is here!

Kudos to Ricoh! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.