Nus Vs Ntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the ranking was a subjective one anyway, by asking those professors to rank the universities, so I would say it's not that accurate.

1 more year in NTU after this sem's IA...haha

Edit: The ranking I refer to is the one in the papers

mervlam said:
NUS is better in rank, i believe near the top 10 in Asia??? NTU is number 40 to 50.

But how come NTU graduates continue to command higher salaries of around $2500 per month?

Theory and exams are not everything. It's the other qualities of the NTU graduates that make them successful in the job market.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/

dude, the reason NTU BUSINESS grads(as reported by the papers) are commanding higher salaries is because they are comparing NTU(DIRECT) HONOURS students with NUS BBA(aka NON HONOURS) students.

not every NUS business student gets to do honours.

Castlesinthesky said:
dude, the reason NTU BUSINESS grads(as reported by the papers) are commanding higher salaries is because they are comparing NTU(DIRECT) HONOURS students with NUS BBA(aka NON HONOURS) students.

Hi, It is true that NTU students command higher pay but not because of their paper qualification only although it is one of the inducing factor. Those that can perform are the ones that can stay in the 'higher pay' band than those that cannot perform.

This is a real and cruel world. If you cannot perform, out you go. A degree can earn you the place but you cant stay for long if you s***. I believe NTU provide very good exposure and experience and not only the theory. If you are looking for a business course, i suggest you take NTU.

If you are looking at chemical engineering and electrical engineering i suggest you take NUS, they are supposed to be the best.

An institute is just a place that you learn to out-perform others in the market place, the other stuffs... are just window dressing.

mr_jason said:
The rankings published in our local papers are a joke la...

so what's new??? good things mentioned, bad things keep quiet.

in singapore, the course being good or not does not matter that much. What is more important is the Institution.

I will chose NUS anytime over NTU. why?? NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). fortunately i chose NUS degree when i had a choice back in 1991/2. whew! nowadays u ask people about NTI, who knows, what more from people overseas.

I'm another one of those that graduated from NTU.
Ppl always say NUS got the best babes and hunks , SMU creates "thinking" students but to me NTU creates the most "practical" grad that is "plug and play"
(latest that I know of NTU commands the highest salary among local unis, correct me if wrong).

NTU class of 2000.

Yeowww said:
... NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). ...

Another ignorant individual...

Yeowww said:
I will chose NUS anytime over NTU. why?? NTU keeps changing name, so in no time, the name of the institutio in yr degree certificate will no longer be in existence, eg Nanyang University, NTI.... and i heard they will change the name from NTU to donno what, dropping the T (=Technology). fortunately i chose NUS degree when i had a choice back in 1991/2. whew! nowadays u ask people about NTI, who knows, what more from people overseas.

bo wei gong (nothing to say)

angelic111 said:
Hi, It is true that NTU students command higher pay but not because of their paper qualification only although it is one of the inducing factor. Those that can perform are the ones that can stay in the 'higher pay' band than those that cannot perform.

This is a real and cruel world. If you cannot perform, out you go. A degree can earn you the place but you cant stay for long if you s***. I believe NTU provide very good exposure and experience and not only the theory. If you are looking for a business course, i suggest you take NTU.

If you are looking at chemical engineering and electrical engineering i suggest you take NUS, they are supposed to be the best.

An institute is just a place that you learn to out-perform others in the market place, the other stuffs... are just window dressing.

huh?yea i got the msg, it's cliche isn't it, same old thing, you know how to perform, you know how to PR, you know how to back stab, you know how to apple polish, you get ahead in this world, in this society.

i um just was addressing the issue of what mervlam pointed out on the basis of comparison. In fact who cares, a chicken rice seller with no educational qualifications is raking in big bucks, who ever told him to choose nus or ntu for a course? he has his greatest course. Life.

c'mon guys... for gov sch, there's only NTU or NUS or even SMU.

just go do what u gotta do and then get out right?

no fuss abt tt. either one will still get u a degree that's recognised.

i think its the same just choose what you like is the most important things. :)

A degree program doesnt guarantee good pay. All i'm saying is that university life teaches you to handle societal stress and pressures better later in your workin life. Your area of discipline doesnt really play a part in your workin life.

A sociology grad becoming a good banker, an engineering grad a top bond sales person, a biz grad doing well in backoffice or top pharma sales, etc.

Soon, society will be flooded with masters holders anyway which shows that the basic degree is just a steppin stone.

Having said that, i would suggest SMU depite the fact that i'm from BBA (NUS) cos i feel that an americanised system would prepare one to be more outspoken n confident which is impt in tdy's competitive environment.

my 2 cts

Never study those uni but just my personal opinion.

Go for SMU. They seems to have prepare student quite well for the future. I have friend study in SMU and she seems to be flying every year to do exchange program. I think it is a good experience.

Doesn't mean NUS or NTU no good, each have its own strength and weakness.

I think you can get more info frm the HWZ forum where there is a education forum.

Yeowww said:
so what's new??? good things mentioned, bad things keep quiet.

in singapore, the course being good or not does not matter that much. What is more important is the Institution.

Yeowww said:
care to enlighten me???

What kind of LAME reasoning is that???

Castlesinthesky said:

DUDE....

i believe the reference (http://www.ntu.edu.sg/corpcomms2/releases/7%20Mar%202005%20NTU%20graduates%20continue%20to%20command%20higher%20salaries%20(News%20release).pdf) are saying NTU Graduates in general command a higher pay.

Castlesinthesky said:
In fact who cares, a chicken rice seller with no educational qualifications is raking in big bucks, who ever told him to choose nus or ntu for a course? he has his greatest course. Life.

That i agree.... an even bigger university, LIFE university... kekeke

Status
Not open for further replies.