Noctilux shot at f/0.95 - but Photoshop registers f/1.2?

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
Hello everyone.

I am a new user of the Leica M system, and currently I shoot with an M9P with a Noctilux f/0.95.
I have noticed a strange phenomenon. I took shots with the Nocti wide open at 0.95.
But when I download the files to Photoshop, the metadata registers the shot at f/1.2 instead.
I was quite sure all these shots were at f/0.95.

Is this a common experience among users?
I would appreciate all your advice.

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, the M digital cameras don't actually know what aperture you shot at. It just guesses based I believe on light, shutter, ISO, etc.

I could be wrong and maybe there's a more technical term like coupling or something involved, but certain shots from my 50/1.4 appear as f/2 in the metadata even though I was certain I shot wide open.

Articulate, thanks for your input.
Yes I have come to realize that there is no communication between the lens and the body with regards to the aperture setting.
So the camera has to aga aga the f stop.
Thus indeed many of my shots have incorrectly registered f stop in their EXIF.
Looks like I just got to bear with it. Haha..

Thanks again, articulate!

Articulate, thanks for your input.
Yes I have come to realize that there is no communication between the lens and the body with regards to the aperture setting.
So the camera has to aga aga the f stop.
Thus indeed many of my shots have incorrectly registered f stop in their EXIF.
Looks like I just got to bear with it. Haha..

Thanks again, articulate!

aren't you suffering from leica noctilux owner OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) yet?
ie. always shoot wide open no matter what... in darkness or broad day light with ND6.. so aperture is taped to 0.95 hahahahaha!

it's a sickness and i have it too. Darn!

Last edited:
aren't you suffering from leica noctilux owner OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) yet?
ie. always shoot wide open no matter what... in darkness or broad day light with ND6.. so aperture is taped to 0.95 hahahahaha!

HAhaha... yah you are absolutely right
I am indeed suffering from the Zero-point-nine-five-itis kind of disease.
That is why I am very happy today cos my B+W 0.9 ND and 3.0 ND 60mm filters came in today.
I can shoot wide open in the bright sunlight already... no longer tied down to the 1/4000sec limitation.
Wahaha....

Congrats on your setup and .95 can do many wonderful things .... Oozing with craving:) yes, the software only roughly estimate the aperture or even speed. I also shoot wide open at 1.4 for indoor gigs and .95 probably give a speed of 1/120 . You have a valuable lens ;)

This is so sick...

Long time since I last browse this side of the forum and first thread that greeted me is Noctilux shot at f/0.95

Can post something not so deadly poison or not???

OCD or Zero-point-nine-five-itis, at least you're entitled to have it. For me, I can only fantasize :sticktong

Congrats on your setup and .95 can do many wonderful things .... Oozing with craving:) yes, the software only roughly estimate the aperture or even speed. I also shoot wide open at 1.4 for indoor gigs and .95 probably give a speed of 1/120 . You have a valuable lens ;)

aomoon, thank you very much.
Honestly I am truly a newbie to RF.
I know not much and I am ready to open myself up to all the learning and hum-tuming that must come with the process.
It is with a little realisation that the Noctilux 50mm is a valuable lens that I decided to go for it.
But a good lens is really nothing if the photographer (me) is not up to par.

This is so sick...

Long time since I last browse this side of the forum and first thread that greeted me is Noctilux shot at f/0.95

Can post something not so deadly poison or not???
Haha... wootsk. Actually I have started studying closely the works of RF shooters here in ClubSNAP and online, and I have found many wonderful works that are done with the Summilux f/1.4, the Summicron f/2.0 and the Summarit f/2.5 and many vintage lenses.
I think, understandably, at f/0.95, the Noctilux holds its own rights. But a great majority of fabulous RF works are with many other lenses.

OCD or Zero-point-nine-five-itis, at least you're entitled to have it. For me, I can only fantasize :sticktong
Modest you are, paisatge.
It is a heavy and unwieldy lens, this Noctilux 0.95.
Thus, perhaps in my opinion, if one has a particular idea of the types of shots that he is aiming to capture, for a normal day-to-day walk around lens, it could be a little over-weight, considering the fact that most of the RF shooters enjoy the portability and lightness of their setups.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Allow me to share with you a response from one of the forum members on the Leica forum who responded to my same question on that site.
I was remarking that "...It is funny, isn't it, that in this day and age of technological advancement certain things are still left slightly behind time.. perhaps purposely so, for a reason unknown to users like us..."
And his reply was, in my view, very valid.
I quote and share here:

I wouldn't say it was "left slightly behind time." Leica actually came up with a very elegant solution to the problem of the camera needing to know what lens was attached, and it allowed people to use very old lenses with no problem at all. If they didn't do that, it would have required a complete re-engineering of the entire lens line, something that would not have been cost-effective and would have been highly risky for Leica. Who could afford a new camera and all-new lenses with an electronic linkage--and at what gain?

The reality is that the actual precise aperture value is really of very little functional use, so the estimate is just perfectly fine. It would be nice if the estimate was closer with the f/0.95 Noctilux, but its the only lens that is generally off by much, so I can live with the imprecision.

Jeff
The link is here.

I think he summarised nicely most likely was the reason for this seeming over-sight.
And I am more than satisfied to know that for whatever inconvenience the lack of communication, and thereby lost of accurate aperture data in the EXIF file, I am willing to sacrifice that for back-compatibility of vintage lenses, and also the fact that the Leica lenses don't have to have too much circuitry in them for those purpose. Thus keeping things simple.

Hello everyone.

I am a new user of the Leica M system, and currently I shoot with an M9P with a Noctilux f/0.95.
I have noticed a strange phenomenon. I took shots with the Nocti wide open at 0.95.
But when I download the files to Photoshop, the metadata registers the shot at f/1.2 instead.
I was quite sure all these shots were at f/0.95.

Is this a common experience among users?
I would appreciate all your advice.

Thank you in advance.
I was puzzled by the exif when i started with a M8 previously as well. the lens does not send info to the camera like how dslr would. the 6 bit coding just let the camera know what lens is attached and the in camera processing corrects vignetting accordingly, also the type of lens will be reflected in the exif.
btw, what a setup kit you have :)

I was puzzled by the exif when i started with a M8 previously as well. the lens does not send info to the camera like how dslr would. the 6 bit coding just let the camera know what lens is attached and the in camera processing corrects vignetting accordingly, also the type of lens will be reflected in the exif.
btw, what a setup kit you have :)

Yeah.. you've mentioned it nice and clear. I just realised that the 6 bit code is merely colour coding. It is the electronic in the camera body that reads the colour coding. Thus there is no electronic parts within the lens at all.
Thanks for coming in and for your input, andrewtansj!

Yeah.. you've mentioned it nice and clear. I just realised that the 6 bit code is merely colour coding. It is the electronic in the camera body that reads the colour coding. Thus there is no electronic parts within the lens at all.
Thanks for coming in and for your input, andrewtansj!

Wow.. still say u no F0.95... Wow tomorrow outing will indeed poison alot of IR ppl!!!

This is a really good one to start the day, i was once guilty of this.

Lx3ChuA said:
Wow.. still say u no F0.95... Wow tomorrow outing will indeed poison alot of IR ppl!!!

Chua, haha.. In the end nothing happened. Right?

dtohs said:
This is a really good one to start the day, i was once guilty of this.

Aren't we all guilty at one point or another?
Lol...