No Lights On - A.D Creative Productions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different realities, different perspectives.

I think that many people on CS are very open to more abstract work. However, all the qualities that you say that you "tend to go deeper" into (history of buildings, wonders of heritage, getting lost in the urban landscape- a topic which continues to be explored and experimented with by others before you, actually: the contrast between old and new, east and west), I absolutely do not see in your photos.

I guess we all tend to forget that photography is a form of story telling and it is more a case of seeing things from different viewpoints .

Don't get me wrong, I really am trying to see how your photos try to make some sort of statement about history, etc. Care to explain what from what viewpoint I should be looking?

Then again, if it needs to explained, then the photo isn't worth explaining, IMHO. So nvm. :p

cheers. i wonder where deadpoet is, i find myself vaguely interested as to what he would say about this series :)

Stucked in a hotel room in one of the most depressing city I have been to a long time.

Since I am on a roll today, well, let me give it a go.

I passed on commenting when this was posted becasue I truely do not have any compelling feelings for these 6 pictures, at least the first 4, either positive or negative.

Let me go to those I like first. 5 and 6 are ok. Let me digress a bit here.

There are 2 kind of images. One is blatantly obvious. It tells the view what it wants to do. They portrait something, and they do it in your face.

The other are less obvious. It is telling something, but the viewer must figure it out. Some people call these images artistic. I thought all images are art, eyes of the beholder. I am going to excluse artistic/figure nudes and highly abstract images from this discussion as they are of a different genre.

5 and 6 are squarely falling into the second catagory. The photogapher is telling a story, and we have to figure out what it is. I think it is successful in letting the viewer's imagination complete the story.

The first 4 pictures, well, I really have no idea what they are trying to do. It does make the viewer think what is it all about. However, which path should the viewer take. The problem is it's a complete mess.

1. A gate, a model, 2 roses of different color, both appeared to be in full bloom. So? What then? Next. Woman bracing against the gate. Dishelfed hair, blurred. So? What next? Same woman holding a rose, on a circular staricase. Botched DI job. The feel seemed to be a big shift from the first 2 picture. So? what's next? In the final picture of this series, same woman, different dress, leaning against the window sill, from a low/wide perspective. This last image is again a complete change in feel and mood as compared the the first 3.

I asked myself, what is going on? It's a complete mess.

Ok, let's look at each individual image. I found them very snap shot like. And in snap shot I am referring to the production quality of the pictures. The first two has some quality, and edge to them, but overall execution bothered on gimicky. The third is a, well, artificial bokeh or not, the DI really killed the dead bird 10 times over. The last is just another ho hum picture. Noithign interesting here.

I do not understand these 4 pictures. On their own asthetic merit, I son't see them either.

I would dare to say, different photographer took 1-4 and 5-6. Why, the production quality differed so much that, well, that is the impression I got.

Btw, discussion on if a better camera or another lens is needed is a waste of time.

I must be one of the very few who really like the pics (#3, 5, and especially 6).

#3... I wouldn't call it bokeh, but otherwise a very nice idea on the DI. Looks like feathers / angel wings impression to me, even if it wasn't the original intention. In any case, it would probably work out better with very careful selection of each space before smudging. Time consuming, but it will look better on the edges. Alternatively use a new layer and layer mask.

Sorry Deadpoet, your interpretation about the gates is quite inaccurate.

It is about holding onto the past and not wanting to let go.

Maybe you should read the story line on my deviantart http://averral.deviantart.com

The only difference between 1-4 and 5-6 is the lenses, you will be able to tell from the bokeh it is a 50mm 1.4 lenses. for 5-6.

Hehe... thank you! Your comments are very helpful... i will try them out the next time... i did the smudging by accident... on print it looks blurish and dreamy hehe...

I must be one of the very few who really like the pics (#3, 5, and especially 6).

#3... I wouldn't call it bokeh, but otherwise a very nice idea on the DI. Looks like feathers / angel wings impression to me, even if it wasn't the original intention. In any case, it would probably work out better with very careful selection of each space before smudging. Time consuming, but it will look better on the edges. Alternatively use a new layer and layer mask.

Sorry Deadpoet, your interpretation about the gates is quite inaccurate.

It is about holding onto the past and not wanting to let go.

Maybe you should read the story line on my deviantart http://averral.deviantart.com

The only difference between 1-4 and 5-6 is the lenses, you will be able to tell from the bokeh it is a 50mm 1.4 lenses. for 5-6.
Ha ha, it's really wonderful what a lens change and some advise from HongHong can make.lolx

Something i did today trying to adjust to my iMac

After:
n1198202589_17569_4800.jpg
Before:
n1198202589_17570_8118.jpg

Just playing around! ^^

Shoot more, read more, see more , and stick to simple storylines for experimenting. After you master your story-telling skill, than challenge yourself n move towards something more complex. The statement tat u try to portray in this series is really hard to interprete. Its good to be ambitious, do spend time to refine your basics so tat u can paint your canvas at ease.

A good piece of Art Work do not need the artist to explain his idea behind it, it basically speak for itself. If you are serious abt movin towards this direction, probably u wanna read up more abt "What is Art?". Why? Cos people have abused that word over n over again. Oh well wat to do? Afterall we are living in a Post-Modern Era, rite? (age of confusion) :confused: haha

Looking forward to see more of your works in the near future! Cheers! ;)

"A good piece of Art Work do not need the artist to explain his idea behind it"

You've summarized my thoughts on this.

The word "art" has been abused too often, and yes, while it may be true, not many ClubSnap members are qualified to speak of, and assess, art. I'm no art-educated or artistically inclined person. My sense of art appears after gulping beers with warped minded shameless Aussies.

Personally, I don't see anything that is explicitly wrong with AverRal's images and Designerwhere's work. I won't openly discuss or debate if she/he has been successful in conveying their ideas across in those images but I would put my hands together to applaud her effort in having considerable thought about her images even before she stood in front the camera. This can't always been said about many/some other portrait shoots done in ClubSnap - casual, clubbing, (you know what I'm hinting at).

AverRal is young, and like many of you, I was also once young. Back then, our mental abilities were less mature, but as time went by, our thoughts and ideas developed better. For what she is currently doing, AverRal is already ahead of her peers, and doing quite well especially since her ideas are fairly original.

I am quite suprised that these few images can attract so much attention.
I guess if not for all the write-up about how much time and effort were put in to create those images, this thread will be down to page 5 long long ago.
All of us will definitely agree that its good to put in effort planning for the shoot and I have to applaud the TS effort for putting in so much effort and thoughts.
But ultimately people will judge you by the result, thats what happen in real world. You can work very hard but you don't produce result, its still a failure.
From the images, I really don't see the "hardwork" behind the images. These images really really looks like any other snapshots that we see so often these days in friendster, in blogs..
And the post processing, appear to me like someone who just got hold of photoshop.. so excited about it.. start playing with filter and all the special effects.. then end up so fascinated by the result ....

For soccer players.. they say let the feet do the talking.
For photographers and models, let the photos do the talking.
Lets move on
:angel:

I guess if not for all the write-up about how much time and effort were put in to create those images, this thread will be down to page 5 long long ago.
All of us will definitely agree that its good to put in effort planning for the shoot and I have to applaud the TS effort for putting in so much effort and thoughts.
But ultimately people will judge you by the result, thats what happen in real world. You can work very hard but you don't produce result, its still a failure.
From the images, I really don't see the "hardwork" behind the images. These images really really looks like any other snapshots that we see so often these days in friendster, in blogs..
And the post processing, appear to me like someone who just got hold of photoshop.. so excited about it.. start playing with filter and all the special effects.. then end up so fascinated by the result ....

Lets move on
Me and Aver thank you for your experienced and insightful comments.

Wow! It seems like you are very experienced in this field please care to share on your ideas on how we can make our snapshots look professional?

Lets move on

Me and Aver thank you for your experienced and insightful comments.

Wow! It seems like you are very experienced in this field please care to share on your ideas on how we can make our snapshots look professional?

what is the spirit of art?

an open mind

do you have open mind? :dunno::dunno::dunno: or do you automatically label everyone who doesn't like your works and start going all defensive?

remember - it's NEVER personal.. if you snap back everytime people disagree, then i guess you can be prepared that more and more people will try to poke you, very fun what.. even if they don't care they also try to poke to add some drama in their life

unfortunately, humans do not treat each other like they treat terrapins.. if you poke a terrapin and it bites you, you bet it won't happen again.. but if you poke it and it hides, you do it again and again.. therein lies the difference

what is the spirit of art?

an open mind

do you have open mind? :dunno::dunno::dunno: or do you automatically label everyone who doesn't like your works and start going all defensive?

remember - it's NEVER personal

Do you? He he.....
We are genuinely asking for feedback and insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.