34th Street & Penn Station area ?? Will
appreciate if u could email me some brochures
of the JFK airport layout & where the hotel
courtesy phone "wall" is ?? Would like 2 be
prepared as NYC is a big city & confusing 4
a first timer there.

Thanks,

Michael

kekekee... I got 1 or 2 map of NY got from e web.. I will be staying with my relative so might not be able to help /w e hotel thing.. Shouldn't be a prob 2 grab a few brochures 4 u thot!

Phil

Its not much of a point to spend a few hundred dollars or even over a grand on a camera and than skimp on the tripod. BIG MISTAKE!!! Those $20 tripods will not hold if you decided to go with SLR in the future. You buy a good one and you buy once. Nevermind if you're sniper trained or not. When it comes to long exposures, it always shows and that's when you'll miss a good sturdy tripod.

Always get the heaviest tripod you can carry but the weight of the camera and lenses you're using have to be taken into consideration. Trust me, a good sturdy tripod will go a long way.

Originally posted by Kit
Its not much of a point to spend a few hundred dollars or even over a grand on a camera and than skimp on the tripod. BIG MISTAKE!!! Those $20 tripods will not hold if you decided to go with SLR in the future. You buy a good one and you buy once. Nevermind if you're sniper trained or not. When it comes to long exposures, it always shows and that's when you'll miss a good sturdy tripod.

Always get the heaviest tripod you can carry but the weight of the camera and lenses you're using have to be taken into consideration. Trust me, a good sturdy tripod will go a long way.

Kit, cos this guy wants to travel light so I recommended the $20 tripod. It is not good and it is flimsy, but it scores high on portability and usability for travel. Me too agree that a sturdy tripod is a worthwhile investment, just that it is too heavy for travelling.

Relax Kit.. really appreciate ya suggestion.

Cost & portability is my primary concern.. & I understand wat u mean...

I got e Slik U6600 from CP.. pretty sturdy & weights 1.1Kg.. It does improve my shot trememdous & failure rate is now very low...

G2 still display e shaking warning icon most of e time althought e shot taken is OK..

Since e oni prob I got /w G2 is long distance nite shot.. I feel getting a good tripod might be a waste

Cheers...

Heres 1 of my better photo..
town.JPG

Some more
court.jpg

cityhall.jpg

suntec.jpg

Phil

Originally posted by Phil
Relax Kit.. really appreciate ya suggestion.

Cost & portability is my primary concern.. & I understand wat u mean...

I got e Slik U6600 from CP.. pretty sturdy & weights 1.1Kg.. It does improve my shot trememdous & failure rate is now very low...

G2 still display e shaking warning icon most of e time althought e shot taken is OK..

Since e oni prob I got /w G2 is long distance nite shot.. I feel getting a good tripod might be a waste

Cheers...

Phil

Hi phil,

likewise, i am a G2 newbie and also have
problems with the night shots (or rather pics with
a longer shutter speed).

How much is your tripod?
Is it sturdy for your G2?:rbounce:

Originally posted by rainyboy

Hi phil,

likewise, i am a G2 newbie and also have
problems with the night shots (or rather pics with
a longer shutter speed).

How much is your tripod?
Is it sturdy for your G2?:rbounce:

Its goin for 43 at Cathay Photo. original price is 86.. but if u ask 4 a better price.. it will drop to 43.. quite amazing izzit??

Slik U6600 can handle cam up to 1.5kg so G2 fits e bill.. Dun expect super steady support @ this price but it works quite well.. have tested it at the observatory of empire state building where e wind is hyper strong.. kekeke...

Will show some of e nite shots I took up there when I reach home...

Phil

Originally posted by mikey2tan

We're planning a September trip probably by NorthWest
& landing in JFK airport & taking a 2 week Amtrak
pass 4 New England touring - Boston, Maine &
Vermont & exiting US to Montreal.

Which hotel to book 4 around US$100/- in
34th Street & Penn Station area ?? Will
appreciate if u could email me some brochures
of the JFK airport layout & where the hotel
courtesy phone "wall" is ?? Would like 2 be
prepared as NYC is a big city & confusing 4
a first timer there.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael..

This is Philip live from States...

There r oni 4 hotel about 1 to 2 blocks away from Penn Station.

1. Southgate Tower
2. Holiday Inn B'way
3. Herald Square Hotel
4. The Gershwin

I dun have e time 2 checkout their rates but at u can try to bid for hotel in New York at discounted price @ www.priceline.com or www.hotwire.com. Alternatively u can try www.expedia.com too. If u can hit e above hotel.. good 4 u.. or else be prepared 2 walk...

Phil

Originally posted by Tweek
Phil, note that the monopod or shoulder-pod (?) will most prob not guarantee you a blur-free night shot, unless you are sniper-trained like kamwai. A tripod is still imperative. For me, I use a cheapo compact tripod for travelling. It is flimsy, but it can still hold up a typical camera under non-adverse weathers, and the portability and lightweight are the plus points.

huh? even sniper also using manfrotto 190 + gitzo ball head....cos i dun want to see the camera + heavy lenes (not yet at the moment) will collapse in front of you.

My suggestion : if u are going to use your FM2 quite frequently, esp if u have those heavy and long tele lenes....and u also will do a lot of night shot, then get a manfotto 190B + 308RC ball head...this tripod is much more durable than SLIK one..

if u are going to use G2 most of the time and seldom do nite shoot....then SLIK U6600 or U8000 will be good enough...it is half the wight of manforotto 190B...so it is even better if u travel a lot and dun want to carry heavu load. SLIK tripod is cheap, abt $50+, but not as durable of cos...bluestrike drop his U8000 until it cracked

If u want something light and stable, can consider Gitzo Carbon Fibre tripod....those tripod can cost as much as your G2

Originally posted by kamwai
huh? even sniper also using manfrotto 190 + gitzo ball head....cos i dun want to see the camera + heavy lenes (not yet at the moment) will collapse in front of you.

:dunno:

what I meant was a monopod won't do for nightshots unless he is sniper trained, cos you did a long exposure shot handheld which was quite sharp I remember. I didn't say that he shouldn't get a good tripod.

And my other point is, if the main emphasis is on portability, and the camera is not too heavy (like his G2 or my c700uz), then getting a manfrotto is an overkill. And I mean specifically for travelling and for a small camera, not taking into account future uses, future addition in arsenal etc. Me for one won't want to lug even a Slik 6600 when travelling, would rather have one that fits into my bag with lots of room to spare. And my cheapo tripod takes the weight of my c700uz very well, even if a gail comes along, I'll be beside my cam to catch the fall.

Anyways, my main point is, when you want portability, you lose stability, and vice versa. So it's good to analyse what kind of tripod is the most suitable, taking into account the camera size etc, before going straight for the heaviest and expensive one.

check out www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on priceline.com.. I managed to get good deals on my upcoming trip to NYC & DC by doing this. good luck travelling.

I do find amtrak rather expensive so I am travelling by greyhound.

Originally posted by kamwai

My suggestion : if u are going to use your FM2 quite frequently, esp if u have those heavy and long tele lenes....and u also will do a lot of night shot, then get a manfotto 190B + 308RC ball head...this tripod is much more durable than SLIK one..

if u are going to use G2 most of the time and seldom do nite shoot....then SLIK U6600 or U8000 will be good enough...it is half the wight of manforotto 190B...so it is even better if u travel a lot and dun want to carry heavu load. SLIK tripod is cheap, abt $50+, but not as durable of cos...bluestrike drop his U8000 until it cracked

If u want something light and stable, can consider Gitzo Carbon Fibre tripod....those tripod can cost as much as your G2

I need something portable & believe me.. I have been carrying e slik throughout my trip.. kekekee... althought I can't use it in most of e attractions.. security is very tight in DC & NY.

BTW, me ain't using e FM2... dunno how 2 use anyway... too chim 2 me..

Phil

Originally posted by chaotic
check out www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on priceline.com.. I managed to get good deals on my upcoming trip to NYC & DC by doing this. good luck travelling.

I do find amtrak rather expensive so I am travelling by greyhound.

Ya.. forgot 2 let u noe abt that.. BTW, did u get ya bid through priceline?? I tried a couple of times but end-up booking a 2 stars DC hotel through expedia. Seems 2 me they dun accept non-US credit card.

BTW, I bought Amtrak tics from NY to DC @ 70 bucks... & boy... Amtrak is really good.. train departs & arrive right on e dot.. plenty of leg rooms & on my return leg.. e coach even comes /w a 120V socket... good 4 those /w Digi cam & notebook... worth every cents in my own opinion... Thats 1 of e most enjoyable ride I ever got.. much better than e horrible 14hrs Northwest transit flight from Jap to NY.

Phil

how and where did u get the amtrak tickets so cheap? I am trying to find a cheap and good way to get from washington dc to new york also. I only managed to find greyhound ticket at about $70 also but I want to try amtrak if it's the same price.

Originally posted by chaotic
how and where did u get the amtrak tickets so cheap? I am trying to find a cheap and good way to get from washington dc to new york also. I only managed to find greyhound ticket at about $70 also but I want to try amtrak if it's the same price.

Errr... hope we r on e same frequency.. I'm referring to US$70.

I booked my tics from www.amtrack.com. U can pickup e ticket b4 u board e train. Its definitelu a better way 2 travel.

Phil

sorry read wrongly.. thought it's $70US for round trip. yah I checked it's $70 US for one-way ... greyhound is $40+US.... oh well I think I will do amtrak this time because they have a 30% off offer at the moment. thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.