Nissin i40

I haven't gotten it yet as the Sony version has not reached our shores yet.....

problem of white paint going off? i won't expect white paint on black plastic to last long.... best option is to cover it with a layer of clear tape/laminate or even nail polish like what one of the dpreview members suggested...

Only way for nissin to solve this is to have the markings engraved. If the paint is within the grooves, it will not come up from normal contact.

i40 flash in general, regardless of mount.

Seem like less lasting than normal marking on dslr button...put me off to get this, might re-consider Di700 again.

Have anyone got their hands on this flash. No much review on the net.

I have gotten the flash for my A7. Under the A mode, the flash will flicker a few times before firing. This causes a delay in taking the picture - anyone know how to turn that off?

I bought this flash for my RX1R not too long ago. Its pretty much everything promised. Small, light, head swivels 360 degrees everywhere and for me at least, plenty of power. TTL on-camera works great, as well as optical slave mode off-camera (manual only, no TTL). Because there is only 2 dials, its super easy to use it especially for flash noobs like me. The size makes it really perfect for small mirrorless cameras like my RX1 and the A7 series of cams as well.

15403778124_3b50703b7e_b.jpg

I've already purchased a flash modifier since I plan to use this flash mainly to take snapshots of loved ones while mounted on camera, especially outdoors where I won't be able to bounce. With direct on-camera flash the subjects look terrible, I consider the end result shooting this way so bad that I would rather take the flash off, crank up the iso and spot meter for the subject's face using available light. It's really a good idea to try and make the tiny flash's light source larger where possible. Once I get comfortable with using flash I hope to try and take it off camera with a TTL wireless trigger, when one becomes available (that doesn't require the minolta hotshoe adapters like the phottix odin, does one exist?)

Last edited:
what is the latest street price for this little flash?

Unsolicited but I have to say... I love this little fellow... go for it!

Just to share a source, LBK is selling i40 for fuji on qoo10 for $200 nett.