[Nikonzen] - APAW 2015 Challenge Myself

#15. BIF again. I still suck. haha Walked up on this guy today didn't see him. He flew the roost. I pointed and shot and hoped for something. Single point AF probably not best for this type of thing. f4 probably not good either. LOL Cropped and processed here. :embrass: I am trying to work toward a decent BIF.

The bird is what we call a blue crane...a huge bird...I believe that is incorrect. I think they are maybe Blue Herons. :)

Last edited:
I practiced my wild flower and undomesticated bee painting today too. lol :)

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately I have sort of lost this thread...maybe I can try to salvage it.

Next challenge...blood moon full eclipse shots...looks like I may not have to worry about this happening again for like 14K years....LOL

A tripod would probably help immeasurably here...

This is what the Moon looked like here last night for awhile...tonight it is bright white...

21787066782_7aa4bb0eb1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately I have sort of lost this thread...maybe I can try to salvage it.

Next challenge...blood moon full eclipse shots...looks like I may not have to worry about this happening again for like 14K years....LOL

A tripod would probably help immeasurably here...

This is what the Moon looked like here last night for awhile...tonight it is bright white...

21787066782_7aa4bb0eb1_b.jpg

Cool shot!

Thanks JK!

Quick and dirty throw it up deal. Each little sliver is a snap. Each one cut and pasted onto a bucket fill space. The first two on the left made with 85/1.8 Then I thought well heck I'm shooting stopped down at something far away anyways so I put on the 135/3.5 (been watching the threads lately where this focal length has been popping up :) ) and made the rest. I had to open the last couple up a little as I recall. It was really much more majestic than what my snaps depict. I don't know crap about shooting in the dark or at the heavenly domain universe sky whatever.

All about the glass sir...been using that 135 a lot here lately...Sonnar! :D

Last edited:
I practiced my wild flower and undomesticated bee painting today too. lol :)

nice shot bro ;) Its never easy shooting insects, especially fast random moving ones.

nice shot bro ;) Its never easy shooting insects, especially fast random moving ones.

Just beginner's luck sir...hahaha

The bee did render very nicely though. 35-70/2.8 with macro feature...manually focused :)

Did you catch the little larvae or whatever they are eating the flower?

Last edited:
Oh boy this thread is neglected. There is so much to improve upon... :(

22709056356_213493982d_b.jpg

I think I discovered who lives under the bridge...

22112309194_e7e5920ed1_b.jpg

Week ???

Another macro from 35-70 AFD...this one a run and grab the camera and make a snap of the pretty bug from the hip. Vivid bug in Vivid Mode.

Lessons learned...

Slow down and think about what you are doing. In this case I was thinking more about just composition wanting to give the bug some frame to walk into plus I was looking at it's eyes for focus instead of the big picture...so I missed DOF

Onboard flash and iridescent insect in harsh high noon is probably not a good idea.

22964256482_dc79544f2f_b.jpg

Last edited: