Nikon tripod vs Fancier FT-6662A Professional Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
to redname: so many has said it already, i shall not say it anymore, pls try to respect other ppl's thread, thanks :)

to the rest: thanks for helping me to say out

to geekbrains: ya, that nikon one is rather weak... that is why consider another alternative...

to sl005073: hmm.. which one do u recommend? silk tripod?

to lsisaxon: hmm... cos i am using a d90, and my heaviest lens is only 70-300vr, therefore wondering whether worth it to invest 500-600 on a tripod...

to luntut: how is the extension of the tripod leg, or rotating the ball head, is it smooth handling? if fully extend, it is a lot more stable that the nikon sl 168?

Bro, will recommend u head down to popular shops like CP or Tk (for tripods) and try out the likes of Manfrotto/Sirui/Benro and get a feel of hw ur setup is like on the tripod.. No obligations to buy mah.. Agreed with Isisaxon.. the fancier sure doesnt look convincing..
If you are tight on a budget, i recom Sirui..(abt 100 odd) hope it helps :)

i'm usin the fancier FT-6662A tripod for my D90...
the leg is abit thin but still provide good support for my D90 + tamron 17-50mm + SB600...

but for that price... i think it do the job well...
so far so good... stock ball head could have bought a better one... from my view..

Please refrain from OT per TS' request. This is a basic netiquette. Thank you.

thanks ziploc, this particular user has also PM me a few times and demand that i remove my post and state that others has half brain etc etc (not very sure whether moderator can access my PM, i dun mind on this) and that i should be responsible for wat i said etc etc, since you have step in, i think i will let this matter rest, thanks a lot

Bro, will recommend u head down to popular shops like CP or Tk (for tripods) and try out the likes of Manfrotto/Sirui/Benro and get a feel of hw ur setup is like on the tripod.. No obligations to buy mah.. Agreed with Isisaxon.. the fancier sure doesnt look convincing..
If you are tight on a budget, i recom Sirui..(abt 100 odd) hope it helps :)

oh oh, thanks a lot bro

i did try the manfrotto, but it is like kinda heavy, and also understand that it is a trade off for more stability, hmm... but mine is only a D90, so not very sure whether should get a too high end tripod :p

i also have the nikon sl 168, that is why not very sure worth the upgrade to the fancier if it is only a "bit" better...

thanks for the info!

i'm usin the fancier FT-6662A tripod for my D90...
the leg is abit thin but still provide good support for my D90 + tamron 17-50mm + SB600...

but for that price... i think it do the job well...
so far so good... stock ball head could have bought a better one... from my view..

oh icic, hmm... is it that the stock ball head is too stiff or it cannot take much weight (maybe guage from your d90 + tamron + speedlight)

I have the Fancier FT-6662. Have not tested it in the field yet.

Tried it with my D700 and 24-70 f/2.8 lens at home. Whole setup is about 2+ kg and the tripod and ballhead held up pretty well. Took test shots at 30 sec shutter speed and did not detect any camera shake.

Only problem I have is in portrait mode. Owing to the weight of the 24-70 mm lens, the lens will tilt downwards whenever I set it in portrait mode. This can be easily solved with a lens bracket but this lens does not have a bracket. Maybe I'm new to this and have not found a better way to set the ballhead to take portrait modes.

oh oh, thanks a lot bro

i did try the manfrotto, but it is like kinda heavy, and also understand that it is a trade off for more stability, hmm... but mine is only a D90, so not very sure whether should get a too high end tripod :p

i also have the nikon sl 168, that is why not very sure worth the upgrade to the fancier if it is only a "bit" better...

thanks for the info!

For lightweight, i recom Sirui T 1004.. Its worth a read..

Got it for my recent 2 weeks long holiday trip and it holds my heaviest setup very very well.. No dampening and doesn resonate tat much.. It cost 100+ and it weighs only 900g :)

I have the Fancier FT-6662. Have not tested it in the field yet.

Tried it with my D700 and 24-70 f/2.8 lens at home. Whole setup is about 2+ kg and the tripod and ballhead held up pretty well. Took test shots at 30 sec shutter speed and did not detect any camera shake.

Only problem I have is in portrait mode. Owing to the weight of the 24-70 mm lens, the lens will tilt downwards whenever I set it in portrait mode. This can be easily solved with a lens bracket but this lens does not have a bracket. Maybe I'm new to this and have not found a better way to set the ballhead to take portrait modes.

oh oh, thanks for the info! :)

For lightweight, i recom Sirui T 1004.. Its worth a read..

Got it for my recent 2 weeks long holiday trip and it holds my heaviest setup very very well.. No dampening and doesn resonate tat much.. It cost 100+ and it weighs only 900g :)

wah, din know the existence of this Sirui T 1004! seems gd, let me go read up on this! thanks bro!

to lsisaxon: hmm... cos i am using a d90, and my heaviest lens is only 70-300vr, therefore wondering whether worth it to invest 500-600 on a tripod...

No lah.. Don't have to spend $500-600 on a tripod lah but I think you should get something decent in the region of $200, that's about 15% and it's a one time investment for a long time to come. Remember it can last you several gear upgrades. A tripod is not just about supporting the weight. It's also about the inherent vibration that becomes apparent when long (in terms of focal length) lenses are used. If you used a flimsy tripod and someone trips one of the legs and your entire setup topple, you will be cursing at yourself.

No lah.. Don't have to spend $500-600 on a tripod lah but I think you should get something decent in the region of $200, that's about 15% and it's a one time investment for a long time to come. Remember it can last you several gear upgrades. A tripod is not just about supporting the weight. It's also about the inherent vibration that becomes apparent when long (in terms of focal length) lenses are used. If you used a flimsy tripod and someone trips one of the legs and your entire setup topple, you will be cursing at yourself.

true also! thanks for the advice :)

there are quite alot of tripod brand floating around locally. best is to go around and see what suit your liking and pocket. but with some simple criteria

1. best the tripod supported weight load be 1.5-2x your gear weight, u may want to buffer abit more for future heavier lens
(in your case a D90 with 70-300 which is approx slightly less than 1.5kg)

2. the ball head should have a weight load of 2-3x your gear. normal landscape shooting will be ok with most ballhead, the extra holding power is REALLY needed when u tilt your camera for portrait shooting. the bigger the ball of the ball head the stronger the holding power.

3. tripod with its legs fully extended should be approx your reach your chest height (without ball head, if with ball head abt your collar bone) thus when u mount your camera the view finder would be near your eye level.

Personal experience, own a D80 (same weight as your D90) and back then my heaviest lens same as TS 70-300VR. gotten a giottos tripod weight load 3kg, a giottos ball head load 3kg. the tripod can hold, but the ball head keep slipping in portrait orientation. giottos is a nice brand but too bad singapore no distributor, but if u got thailand for holiday, u can find it there in bangkok shopping center. a good 5kg load tripod abt $150-$170sgd. gotten mine from local shop that brought them in by themselves, so its hard to find them in singapore.

i honestly did a rather extensive test on tis.

mounted my 70-200VR with D300 and grip and SB-900, mounted it at angles, and locked it well.

the thing never moved a single mm all night. only gripe is that at 300-400mm, if you make any amendments to the dials, you can see a lot of massive vibrations through the VF.

which is seriously no biggie, if you allow it to stop moving before you shoot, with a remote.

i am a person who chooses to work around my limitations instead of getting soemthing which is most probably an overkill..

oh icic, hmm... is it that the stock ball head is too stiff or it cannot take much weight (maybe guage from your d90 + tamron + speedlight)

the weight is ok as i use the tripod to take fireworks n bulb nite shot...
not stiff...

agree on tis statement... since u wan get a tripod... u shld invest in one reasonable one.. budget of $200 can fetch u a basic manfrotto or benro.. which is quite stable...

as for me i bought tis fancier quite some time ago liao... hehe... :bsmilie:
i oni use it for fireworks n few nite landscape... rest indoor i use handheld...

hey i'd suggest go for a better one. cos i have a fren whose fancier tripod legs started to bend inwards. anyway, buying a better tripod usually last longer in e end :confused:

try silk pro tripods..reasonably cheap and stable..

Hi fellow CSers,

Wondering where in SG can i find the Sirui T-1004 tripod that was mentioned on this thread ?

Went to CP and some of the popular shops last week but only found "Slik" , "Benro" ones as usual ...

I have a budget of about $110 for leg + ball head ...

Thanx to DesertStrike for starting this thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.