Nikon D90 vs Canon 550D Video Quality

The amount of misinformation contained in this 1 post is staggering.

isit? y not read the manual provided by canon and ask users. my 7D sensor heats up till my camera body n CF card goes hot when touched after taking video for a long time. so i did some research n read up the manual. its stated that the sensor will heat up till it jus can work. then u ll need to cool it down. pls know what u r saying cos an empty vessel makes the most noise....

best not to get a DSLR to take vid. its for photography guys. (hope im not sounding rude if not kena blast like above).....

anyway taking video will heat up your sensor. its like taking a very very long shutter/bulb mode..... thats worth many mant shutter count man..... and the sensor will deteriorate. ya, as mentioned, get the video cam.... although dslr's sensor is larger, can use L lens n many other good features.

The shutter is NOT the sensor. The shutter lifts once, so the shutter count is the same as for a picture. The sensor life itself may be reduced, yes; but not deteriorate. DSLR sensors are not designed for extended video use, they don't have the heatsinks of dedicated handycams. As such, they will heat up and need to cool down, but that's about it.

Keep in mind that the D90 is around 20 month old.
550D is just newly announced.

It's not fair compare the video of an aging camera to the 550D technology.

Keep in mind that the D90 is around 20 month old.
550D is just newly announced.

It's not fair compare the video of an aging camera to the 550D technology.

Its not about fair or unfair though. Its just evaluating which camera is more suitable for video.

Its not about fair or unfair though. Its just evaluating which camera is more suitable for video.

Both are suitable, but the quality won't be the same.

The shutter is NOT the sensor. The shutter lifts once, so the shutter count is the same as for a picture. The sensor life itself may be reduced, yes; but not deteriorate. DSLR sensors are not designed for extended video use, they don't have the heatsinks of dedicated handycams. As such, they will heat up and need to cool down, but that's about it.

dude, i didnt say that shutter count is same as sensor. wat i meant is the effect on the sensor will as though u took many shutters, like when u have high sc, the longer the sensor is exposed to light.

if the sensor is heated up at normal lighting it ll heat up the sensor. if the sensor is exposed to a powerfull light source it ll be heated up fast and mechanically all materials have a heat curve of temperature vs time. if we do not follow the curve it ll damage eg. high temp vs short time.

u mentioned sensor life reduced, thats pretty much deterioration to me. the design life is shorten. eventually quality can be affected.

its not that i dont use vid, but i advise to use it sparingly 7 in short recordings. i wont wanna burn my sensor up that fast and thats me n its only an advise cos i assume u guys love ur cam. cheers.

Bro TS! I have tried both D90 and 550D! As many bros in CS are into photography... I am more into cinematography!(im a noob in digital photography and only know photography through Film)! Ok about D90 vs 550D

I will go straight to the point! 550D is way better than the D90! why? Its like comparing a point n shoot camera to a dslr! An automatic cam to a manual cam!(not that the d90 is fully auto) u see ive tried te d90's video and what i can say is u need to setup everything before shooting vid and its a must to do exposure lock in order for you vid clips to become ok!

For the 550d... U can do everything manually! If u know basic cinematography... U can change ur aperture, shutter speed and heck... Even ISO during filming! Thats a great advantage and not only that! U can shoot in24fps or 25fps with all these manual setting! The equivalent for this is like having a 16mm film camera effect!

Hope this helps! Ask me if u have more question!

Btw... The only dissadvantage i see in the 550d is uts file format .mov! The d90 uses .avi! Easier for non techie people to edit!:$

dude, i didnt say that shutter count is same as sensor. wat i meant is the effect on the sensor will as though u took many shutters, like when u have high sc, the longer the sensor is exposed to light..

shutter count is no where related to sensor, also, the number of SC is not really related to the total time of sensor exposed to light.

for example,

a SC of 1000, but each exposure is 10 minutes, total exposure 10000 minutes.

and another SC 10000, each exposure 1/100sec, total exposure is only 100 seconds.
:)

Pls don't compare DSLR video capabilities.
It's no end.

Why get the best equipment when the script is lousy?
A very good script but using a lower resolution video to shoot?

So which is more important.

This is all hype.

Can anyone tell me that shooting a HD, 3D, with THX sound system is the best way to view a movie?

Stop comparing..... I noticed that we can afford high-end 3D animation software to run on a powerful servers.
At the end.... can we produce AVATAR?

Yawn... to the people who chase after the "best" features in a DSLR.

shutter count is no where related to sensor, also, the number of SC is not really related to the total time of sensor exposed to light.

for example,

a SC of 1000, but each exposure is 10 minutes, total exposure 10000 minutes.

and another SC 10000, each exposure 1/100sec, total exposure is only 100 seconds.
:)

yes bro, agreed. was refering if one shoots more, the more the sensor is exposed. so if on the same camera body, if the SC totalizer increases, that means with the reference to the same body, the sensor is exposed more.

hope u get what i am sayin.

thanks for clarifying things. thanks guys.

anyway, gonna slp now. nite ppl!!!

I bought a D90 when it came out, and my intention was to shoot video with it. I sold it after 6 days because the quality was not acceptable.

I now have a 550D and am very happy with the results. Yes there are constraints and aliasing issues, but used with these in mind the camera is capable of taking very nice video images. And I don't think it is just because of the higher resolution.

Here are a couple of sample clips if you want to compare my results with the 2 cameras.

D90: http://www.vimeo.com/4558115

550D: http://www.vimeo.com/11573496

Can anyone tell me that shooting a HD, 3D, with THX sound system is the best way to view a movie?

Stop comparing..... I noticed that we can afford high-end 3D animation software to run on a powerful servers.
At the end.... can we produce AVATAR?

Majority of the household in Singapore or Australia (where I live) are still viewing TV programs in non-HD TV.

If you want to to shoot in HD, your entire workflow must be in HD digital. Otherwise, when you burn in DVD, your video is down convert to SD, i.e. 720x576. To edit your video in HD, you got to have very souped up PC or Mac otherwise everything will come to a crawl when you render them. A 30 minute HD video with all the 3D animation and other effects will take at least 2 to 5 hours to render even for a 8 core Mac G5.

THX is not a sound system. It is a quality assurance system to certify a standard delivery protocol which encompass high-quality, predictable playback environment to ensure that any film or video soundtrack mixed in THX will sound as near as possible to the intentions of the mixing engineer. THX certification entails specific acoustic and other technical and architectural requirements.

In the end Singaporean can produce 3D animation like Avatar. You may like to know we have Singaporeans producing some of the animations you see in "Clash of the Titans". Let's be proud. We're almost there already with the best.

I bought a D90 when it came out, and my intention was to shoot video with it. I sold it after 6 days because the quality was not acceptable.

I now have a 550D and am very happy with the results. Yes there are constraints and aliasing issues, but used with these in mind the camera is capable of taking very nice video images. And I don't think it is just because of the higher resolution.

D90 video file format is in mJPEG. 550D record in H.264 Quicktime. Obviously, this tells you that 550D records better video. D90's motion JPEG is akin to taking continuous still shots. At the hands of a skilled editor, it can still be combined into a fantastic video using high end video editors like Avid, Vegas and Final Cut. It is also useful for rotoscoping and 3D embedding.

550D video output is fantastic for those who don't do any compositing. Just simple cut and paste and burn to disc. If you want to do compositing or colour correction, there are many steps to perform like breaking the video down into individual frames and then recombine them back into a video.

In the end it depends on what you want to do? Take photos? or take videos? or take photos with an occassional video? or take video with an occassional photo? :what:

The sensor is positioned near the processor,
the one that's getting hot is the processor and it's affect the sensor performance
(in still images it affects noise)

In this case,
the problems would be similar to pocket camera problems,
(viewing, shooting always use the sensor in pocket camera)
suddenly the sensor death and need to replace, in DSLR that problem are rare,
but don't know now with the video capability

Anyway,
what I'm saying is nothing lar, cause I'm not SOMEONE like TS asking, WHO ARE YOU ? :bsmilie:

The sensor is positioned near the processor,
the one that's getting hot is the processor and it's affect the sensor performance
(in still images it affects noise)

Actually no. Both the processor and the sensor get hot in video, but in stills, it's mainly the sensor. Even before video, sensor heat from long exposure (and the resulting noise) were well-known. In this case, the processor had no impact, as it would only get utilized after the capture was taken (to process the image). The heat came from the sensor, and the noise was due to sensor heat.

the problems would be similar to pocket camera problems,
(viewing, shooting always use the sensor in pocket camera)

That's because PnS cameras are on full-time liveview.

D90 video file format is in mJPEG. 550D record in H.264 Quicktime. Obviously, this tells you that 550D records better video. D90's motion JPEG is akin to taking continuous still shots. At the hands of a skilled editor, it can still be combined into a fantastic video using high end video editors like Avid, Vegas and Final Cut. It is also useful for rotoscoping and 3D embedding.

550D video output is fantastic for those who don't do any compositing. Just simple cut and paste and burn to disc. If you want to do compositing or colour correction, there are many steps to perform like breaking the video down into individual frames and then recombine them back into a video.

In the end it depends on what you want to do? Take photos? or take videos? or take photos with an occassional video? or take video with an occassional photo? :what:

Actually MJPEG is OK, but for good quality it needs a much higher bitrate than the D90 implementation.

And for serious work like compositing of highly compressed video like the 550D's, most people would convert to an intermediate codec which is a simple one-step process. Usually it is not necessary to convert to single frames.

Actually $ for $, I find dslr to be a viable alternative to video cameras. I have used a Sony HVR-A1P and found it to be limiting. Noise is horrible indoors and you are basically limited to using program mode with auto white balance. Autofocus is slow and since it reverts to a wide aperture in low light (which is technically the correct choice), you get the same problems with using contrast-detect AF on dslr. Auto white balance takes a while to correct itself so you can't start recording immediately although start up speed is decent.

For the same price you can get a Canon 5D2. From the amateur videos I found on youtube, noise is much lower indoors. Being able to set the aperture compensates for the slow af and manual control of white balance is awesome if you need combine multiple clips into a single video without tedious color adjustments.

Actually MJPEG is OK, but for good quality it needs a much higher bitrate than the D90 implementation.

And for serious work like compositing of highly compressed video like the 550D's, most people would convert to an intermediate codec which is a simple one-step process. Usually it is not necessary to convert to single frames.

According to TS question, it is very difficult to answer as it depends on usage. Personally, I would prefer to use D90 if the majority of my usage is photos. If video feature more than photos, the natural choice would be 550D. But if I take so much video, I might as well buy a camcorder which will do the job better.

For more serious compositing, we try not to convert at all as each conversion, you tend to loose a little bit of detail. Usually you don't convert to single frames unless you are doing rotoscoping but for most users, it's just simple cut and paste.

According to TS question, it is very difficult to answer as it depends on usage. Personally, I would prefer to use D90 if the majority of my usage is photos. If video feature more than photos, the natural choice would be 550D. But if I take so much video, I might as well buy a camcorder which will do the job better.

I also think the D90 is a very good camera for stills. But I am 100% video guy so I made my decision based on video performance alone. I do appreciate that others may also want to take still pictures with it ha ha.

BTW I already have 2 video cameras, but bought a 550D to be able to use wide lenses and also to get shallow depth of field. It does not replace my videocams, but it is another tool I can use for certain shots.