Nikon D70 workshop at PSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

There are a few lenses which you can consider acquiring:

(1) 50mm f1.8
(2) 12-24mm DX
(3) 10.5mm DX

These 3 lenses, as mentioned during the workshop, are some lenses which are "good to have" for your shooting, especially oversea travel shots.

how much are these lense?

when is the next available dates ?

Steven Yee said:
Hi,

There are a few lenses which you can consider acquiring:

(1) 50mm f1.8
(2) 12-24mm DX
(3) 10.5mm DX

These 3 lenses, as mentioned during the workshop, are some lenses which are "good to have" for your shooting, especially oversea travel shots.

Just tried calling PSS,
the dates for the course are unconfirmed. This is the email address for those of you who want to enquire about this course. pss1950@singnet.com.sg

Cheers

sam

I limit my class to 20 people per class for the benefit of the participants, and sad to say, based on the previous few batches, there have been some people who registered but did not turn up, hence depriving others of a chance. It is like 20 registered but 15 turn up. We called some of them and they say they got last minute appointments. Some are not in Singapore!

For those who have signed up, pls let us know days in advance if you are unable to come so that we can free up the space.

At $5 per head, I am in a way volunteering my services and I am quite sad to see it being abused like this.

For this weekend class, I have decided to make it 25 people per class, which means I will probably end up with 20. Hope so.

You can call the PSS staff at 63343361 or email at pss1950@singnet.com.sg
to enquire on vacancies.

Opening hours:
Mon-Fri, 2pm to 10pm
Sat-Sun, 12pm to 6pm

Sometimes, when workshops get too cheap, they get abused.

Just a little suggestion:

Following the airline practice, "overbook" (as you suggested) is just one way! How about WL (wait list) and Standby (ana "gate crasher")! :)

Steven Yee said:
I limit my class to 20 people per class for the benefit of the participants, and sad to say, based on the previous few batches, there have been some people who registered but did not turn up, hence depriving others of a chance. It is like 20 registered but 15 turn up. We called some of them and they say they got last minute appointments. Some are not in Singapore!

For those who have signed up, pls let us know days in advance if you are unable to come so that we can free up the space.

At $5 per head, I am in a way volunteering my services and I am quite sad to see it being abused like this.

For this weekend class, I have decided to make it 25 people per class, which means I will probably end up with 20. Hope so.

You can call the PSS staff at 63343361 or email at pss1950@singnet.com.sg
to enquire on vacancies.

Opening hours:
Mon-Fri, 2pm to 10pm
Sat-Sun, 12pm to 6pm

Sometimes, when workshops get too cheap, they get abused.

Already called to make an enquiry on Friday and was told that the next available class would be in July :sweat:.

They said that I could register through email(19/05) but already did earlier but no response yet.

How about a D2H workshop...
:think:

Anyone had the experience of emailing to PSS & get no reply? :dunno:

That's what happened to me. Mebbe they missed a mail?

nyxx88 said:
Anyone had the experience of emailing to PSS & get no reply? :dunno:

That's what happened to me. Mebbe they missed a mail?

probably, i guess with the addition of D70S users... even more packed... :dunno:

contacted said:
probably, i guess with the addition of D70S users... even more packed... :dunno:

There was only 1 D70s user. The attendence rate was good.
a bit packed, but still confortable.

The workshop was very useful and informative.
Will strongly recommend for newbies to D70.

been to the class.

I think 80% of the stuff gone through in the class can be found in the manual. I guess the target audience is for the new DSLR user who is too lazy to read through the manual. The other 20% of the class is interesting and useful and makes going to the class worthwhile. But I really wished the instructor will spend more time talking about his experience and tips rather than go through how to set modes, change aperture, activate flash, etc.

just my honest opinon.

wind30 said:
been to the class.

I think 80% of the stuff gone through in the class can be found in the manual. I guess the target audience is for the new DSLR user who is too lazy to read through the manual. The other 20% of the class is interesting and useful and makes going to the class worthwhile. But I really wished the instructor will spend more time talking about his experience and tips rather than go through how to set modes, change aperture, activate flash, etc.

just my honest opinon.

Oops, I guess you have not read the workshop agenda when you have signed up? It was supposed to be a D70 workshop. :bsmilie:

any more such course?

I like to join!

Hi All.........

Due to overwhelming response, we have 2 dates for the Nikon Workshop.

Dates: 3 July, 17 July(sun)
Time: 1-4pm
Price: $20 per head
Items to bring: D70/D70s camera, camera manual & pen
Interested applicants please e-mail to pss1950@singnet.com.sg with your contact number for registration.

I Look forward to hearing from you. :bsmilie:

wind30 said:
been to the class.

just my honest opinon.

Yup. It has never been easy trying to make the workshop value for money. When the instructor revised the syllabus when PSS took over the workshop, he took into account how to, while letting the newbies know the essential features, he also stress upon basic photography (refresher for seasoned participants, and yet informative for newbies to learn) and also share his tips for tricky shooting situations.

The syllabus has been revised again and the workshop is now stretched to 3 hours. With 3 hours, he has more time to share more tips.

It is always easier to have someone sharing with you how to use the camera, rather than going through the manual yourself, and also teach you one of the workflow in photography. Probably it is not just 20%, but slightly more, on the part that is not about the camera.

nemesis32 said:
Why is it S$20/head now? I thought it was S$5/head?

The popular Nikon D70 workshop is conducted by The Photographic Society of Singapore from April 2005 and at that time, the fee charged is $5 (rate based on previous organiser) since that was the old rate being charged. When we took over the workshop, we did a whole revamp of the syllabus. The number of participants have also been limited to 20 per class (down from 40 to 50 as per the previous organiser) as we find it not feasible to have too big a group. We bite the bullet without changing the fee and we agreed that the fee will be set at $20 when the D70s is launched.

This workshop, with the revised syllabus since April, not just cover the essential feature of the D70/D70s, it also cover a crash course in basic photography. Todate, more than 200 participants have enjoyed the workshop with good review.

This workshop has never been free of charge. In fact, it is value for money even at $20 per head, as the instructor condense 3 lessons (worth $36) of the Society's Basic Photography course into the 3 hour workshop (only $20).

Our main objective is to ensure that the participants come in and walk out of the class, a different photographer, which has been the case so far. The courses we conduct are usually not free as we have our standard and quality to uphold, and this usually come at a price as we have to source for the good instructors. This is for the benefit for the participants.

Hope this clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.