Nikon D60 or Canon 450

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with them about trying out the feel of the camera. Intially, I was also deciding on Canon 450d or Nikon D60 but I had decided that I will buy Nikon D60 as the feel of the camera feels right for me. That solve my problem on deciding between the 2 cameras. Now, my problem is choosing between Nikon D40 or D60. Some reviews said D40 is better as less noise due to lower pixels and faster flash sync while some said D60 had higher pixels for cropping and newer technology so D60 is better. Now, I still trying to decide on these 2 cameras. Sorry for side track the threads.

I've the same situation as you...d40 or d60? So what is your final decision?

I would gladly go for the Nikon D60 if not for it's paltry 3-point autofocus. The Nikon's grip feels better than the 450D. Apart from the narrow grip on the 450D though, it trumps the Nikon in terms of features.

So why not go for an A300? Or a D80?

I would gladly go for the Nikon D60 if not for it's paltry 3-point autofocus...

has there been a particular situation where you've taken a photo and the 3-point autofocus would have led to poor results? I guess I can't ask about your actual experience with the D60, since you own a 40D.

My point is this: The D60 would be considered Nikon's advanced entry-level camera, if there is such a category. The targetted buyer is probably a first-time DSLR owner. There is no doubt that in terms of features, it loses out to its siblings (D80, D300, D3). BUT would the first-timer really feel the effect of this difference in specs? I would guess that 90-95% of D40/D60 owners don't find the camera limiting their skills in any way, until some time down the road when the upgrading bug hits them.

Yes, a 3-point Autofocus would not matter to someone just starting out but I'm sure after awhile, when the user gets more experienced, he/ she might find it lacking. Especially if you wanna focus at say maybe the top right hand corner of the frame or something like that. Actually I've tried out the D40x which is largely similar to the D60 bar the eye-sensor below the viewfinder, anti-dust facilities and accelerometer. My conclusion: 3-point Autofocus would not lead to poor results but with more AF points (say, 9 points on the 450D), it'll be easier to get your desired result in focus.

for entry level camera, if iso is your concern, your best bet would be the canon 450d... i seen a review of this 2 bodies in a mag... the canon 450d high iso rocks... shooting at same iso the d60 seems to be noisy & loss of definations.

of cos there are many other things to compare...

my 2 cents.

Looking for a entry level DSLR either Nikon D60 or Canon 450. The Nikon D60 package with 2 lens in the newspaper I saw today seems quite attractive. Any comments recommendations? Thanks !

If you choose between these 2, it'll be 450D straight, no need to think.

imo, apart from the noise level, the nikon d60 has better ergonomics and color saturation. and needless to say, less pricey than the 450d.

but well, to each his own. =]

Fella at John 3:16 was pretty dismissive of the D60 when I asked him whether it was worth considering. Said it was a toy...his comment, not mine, so dont shoot the messenger. :)

Yes, a 3-point Autofocus would not matter to someone just starting out but I'm sure after awhile, when the user gets more experienced, he/ she might find it lacking. Especially if you wanna focus at say maybe the top right hand corner of the frame or something like that. Actually I've tried out the D40x which is largely similar to the D60 bar the eye-sensor below the viewfinder, anti-dust facilities and accelerometer. My conclusion: 3-point Autofocus would not lead to poor results but with more AF points (say, 9 points on the 450D), it'll be easier to get your desired result in focus.

You could always lock the AF and then recompose.

Me pursuading my gf to take up photography.

Looking to get a D60 for her. Small and light package for her to jump from her previous PnS.
( of course if somehow my deviant plan to bring her into my hobby fails, it is not too massive an investment :bsmilie: )

Ryan

Experience and reviews are two things you can get. But at the end of the day, you gotta pick the one YOU like. Head down to a nearby camera shop and try them out. Take sample pictures around the shop and compare which one feels sharper, more comfortable or something. About your question on focus speed, it depends more on the lens you buy. Eg. A sigma 28-300 and tamron 17-55(crect me if im wrng abt e range) the tamron is much faster. :)

about focusing, you can actually use AI-focus and frame the subject to whichever position you want.

Me pursuading my gf to take up photography.

Looking to get a D60 for her. Small and light package for her to jump from her previous PnS.
( of course if somehow my deviant plan to bring her into my hobby fails, it is not too massive an investment :bsmilie: )

Ryan

Haha consider a D40? Or even a 1000D?

You could always lock the AF and then recompose.

I think you can only do this method when the subject is stationary. Otherwise, for fast moving subjects, I prefer to use MF.

I think you can only do this method when the subject is stationary. Otherwise, for fast moving subjects, I prefer to use MF.

Haha. That is if you know when your object is going to move into the frame.

I've the same situation as you...d40 or d60? So what is your final decision?

Go for D60 if you need a bit more megapixels to crop. Other than that, almost everything else is the same. Metering, No built in AF, etc.

Haha consider a D40? Or even a 1000D?

Between D40 and D60, I would choose something newer for her.

As for 1000D .. I am Nikon user would not want to introduce a new system and duplicate on lenses. But from the specs of it, it looks like a great camera!

Haha. That is if you know when your object is going to move into the frame.

Maybe his pre focusing technique is good.

Ryan

user-friendliness, solid feel, fast response... :)

Most consumer-cam users are simply in awe when they see how fast the DSLR focuses and snaps. Plus the nice and solid shutter sound ;) it's a winner!
They will tend to take similar shots to the ones they used to take with their PnS/Prosumers, so stuff like super-fast focusing of moving objects are lower-down on the priority list.

Fella at John 3:16 was pretty dismissive of the D60 when I asked him whether it was worth considering. Said it was a toy...his comment, not mine, so dont shoot the messenger. :)

Really?

I was recommended to it today when i was about to buy 450D! Ha.

So i ended up not buying and came here doing what i'm doing now :bsmilie:

for entry level camera, if iso is your concern, your best bet would be the canon 450d... i seen a review of this 2 bodies in a mag... the canon 450d high iso rocks... shooting at same iso the d60 seems to be noisy & loss of definations.

of cos there are many other things to compare...

my 2 cents.

A noob question.

The quality of a photo taken by these 2 cameras at the exact same, dimly lit spot.. would we be able to tell the different when we develop it into a 4R size photo?

Just curious on how bad the noise level is for D60 because i somehow dislike using flash most of the time.

Thanks!

A noob question.

The quality of a photo taken by these 2 cameras at the exact same, dimly lit spot.. would we be able to tell the different when we develop it into a 4R size photo?

Just curious on how bad the noise level is for D60 because i somehow dislike using flash most of the time.

Thanks!

at 4R not so easy to spot the diff unless you take the shot at iso 1600 but on 5R onwards maybe can start to see a little diff.

hate noise go for canon, 1000d and 400d still not bad.
low budget can opt for a 2nd hand 400d instead.
noise is better controlled in cmos sensors than ccd.
the 12mp 450d surely got more noise than 10mp 1000d or 400d.
for more samples go to pixel-peeper.com or dcresource.com where you can pixel peep the noise issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.