Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D

550D, of cos!!!! It cost more, so must be a better body.

i prefer 550D coz i just bought 550D lol

i prefer 550D coz i just bought 550D lol

Good choice, enjoy the camera. Should have bought the 5D Mk2...... Cost more so better.... kekekekeke....

Joke a side, 550D is truly a wise choice. The ISO control is quite impressive. Be sure to share some of your great shots in this forum.

HI all,
need your advise here. i'm very new to this new hobby, i have read alot from here but and still confused on which is more suitable for me..

to me i like night scenery and portrait with some dreamy feel.. i would like to take candid shots too...

pls advise me..

sorry if i did not phrase it correctly...

thanks!!!
i have found the best template answer to this sort of question from TOP. thanks TOP!

1. Do your level best to get something you really, really like.

2. Make a promise to yourself—set a time goal in order to limit the time you might waste shopping and the money you might waste buying successive iterations of the same item. The best experiences I've had with new cameras were when I invested in exactly what I wanted and promised myself in advance that I'm going to commit to it for a certain period of time. I committed to the M6 for one year, and used it for nearly three; the OM-4T for three years, and used it for nearly five. Both experiences were great—very focused on pictures as opposed to gear. It's fun to shop, but it's crucial to stop.

3. While you own something, no matter what it is, use it as hard as you can and enjoy it.

time to paste this somewhere and bookmark the page so i can copy and paste this reply on all the newbie threads asking about "what gear to get". :bsmilie:

i have found the best template answer to this sort of question from TOP. thanks TOP!

time to paste this somewhere and bookmark the page so i can copy and paste this reply on all the newbie threads asking about "what gear to get". :bsmilie:

What is TOP ar?

waaa, like dat you save a lot of typing leh. Can we use it too?

What is TOP ar?

waaa, like dat you save a lot of typing leh. Can we use it too?

the online photographer.

love reading it, can discover random interesting stuff sometimes.

sure, go ahead, use it. i didn't even write it, just quoting. :bsmilie:

Well, should get a good external flash too to improve on your photos. 550D is an excellent choice. Judging from the reviews, the ISO performamce is even better than my 40D.

hello all,

another dslr newbie here.
Also shortlisting Nikon D5000 vs Canon500.

I just need a decent DSLR platform to play with for few years.
Then next upgrade should last longer :)

D5000's flip-lcd appeals to me, as I like to shoot my kids from various angles.

:sweat: old bird please don't laugh at me

:bsmilie:

who's laughing at you??

anyway, D5000 is not the only DSLR with a flip LCD.
I think it's the only DSLR from either Nikon or Canon to have a flip LCD.

hello all,

another dslr newbie here.
Also shortlisting Nikon D5000 vs Canon500.

I just need a decent DSLR platform to play with for few years.
Then next upgrade should last longer :)

D5000's flip-lcd appeals to me, as I like to shoot my kids from various angles.

:sweat: old bird please don't laugh at me

If you're planning to use live view to shoot your kids, they must be standing still...the AF with live view on D5k is laughable, and the mirror flipping while getting in and out of live view (camera will automatically switch out of live view when you press the shutter) will result in shutter lag.

So if you're planning to shoot your kids running around from various angles, live view is useless unless you're manual focusing

Both 550D and D5000's ISO Performance is about the same, so they are pretty much equal, unless you're talking megapixels and 1080p video recording, in which case 550D wins.

If you're into manual focusing, there are many 2nd hand nikon lenses that are lying around, some of which are pretty darn good. You can basically build your lens system on the cheap! (albeit manual focusing only)
(d5000 + 18-55mm) + 35/1.8 AFS (320) + 100/2.8 Series E (160) =~ $1.5k

But when it comes to lenses, it really boils down to shooting style, so pick wisely :)

Regards,
gibss

If you're planning to use live view to shoot your kids, they must be standing still...the AF with live view on D5k is laughable, and the mirror flipping while getting in and out of live view (camera will automatically switch out of live view when you press the shutter) will result in shutter lag.

So if you're planning to shoot your kids running around from various angles, live view is useless unless you're manual focusing
hi brobodam,

with p&s camera, I just half-press the button, wait for camera to focus, then shoot multiple shots non-stop.
Can I do likewise on the d5000? Is there a sports mode?
Sorry, I thought liveview is just the lcd, see target in the "box", then shoot away

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
personally, i got myself a 550D recently.
In comparison to D5000, The 550D has much better video functions.
Can consider the 550D if it's within budget.
However, the D5000 has a movable LCD screen. IIRC.
For easier use of the live view.