Nikon D40 or olympus E500

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the smart thing to do is to buy canon and only buy EF lenses!!!

The current EF regime staged a coup d' etat on the FD gov in 1987. will the EF remain in power for the next eon?

The current EF regime staged a coup d' etat on the FD gov in 1987. will the EF remain in power for the next eon?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Converter-from-...9712438QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30066QQcmdZViewItem

in fact, if this is your cup of tea, you can use lenses from almost any manufacturer on your canon eos body.... can't say the same for nikon though....

http://www.tagotech.com/index_files/Page783.htm

btw... canon 350d kit selling for 9xx... not that far away from your budget... AF with all EF and EF-S lenses....

Well, at least it's restricted to a certain group. You'll have to get rid of ALL your Zuikos, should Oly come up with a larger sensor.

Oly would not use a larger sensor; it makes no sense to go head to head with Canon on this.

Dude, if you buy DX/DG/DC/DI lenses for your Nikon now, you'll have to get rid of them if the sensor gets larger than APS-C size anyway.

:nono: DG and DI are just coating meant to reduce internal reflection cause by sensor... they are not to be mixed up as lens for APS-C sized film/sensor...
it should be DX/DC/Di II

:nono: DG and DI are just coating meant to reduce internal reflection cause by sensor... they are not to be mixed up as lens for APS-C sized film/sensor...
it should be DX/DC/Di II

Plus it projects the rays more perpendicularly down to the sensor.

If you want to talk long term, then the four-thirds system also has a major disadvantage - no bigger sensor.

See, the whole lens system is built around that four-third sensor. If Oly decides to come up with a APS-C/APS-H/FF sensor, there goes your lens system. Either you stick with your current body and lens inventory, or you upgrade lenses and the body at a go. Limitations, limitations.

why would one need a bigger sensor in the first place? the whole point of 4/3s is to have a system built around a sensor of that size.

also, which is more likely to happen? him needing to buy a non-AF-S lens and realising the D40 doesn't support it, and Olympus doing away with the 4/3s sensor?

mind you, the Four-Thirds system was designed to be different. and I believe Olympus is fully committed to doing so.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works in this discussion: do also consider getting a Pentax.

The Pentax K10D is a bit too much for your budget, retailing about $1400. But the K100D retails at $1065 with a 18-55mm lens, if you are willing to stretch.

Why a Pentax? These are the reasons on why I would get a Pentax:
- in built vibration reduction system in the camera (you can use any lens and get VR, unlike Canon and Nikon which you have to purchase VR lenses to get it. Olympus has it too, in its upcoming E-510 model.)
- the ability to meter with any lenses mounted, yes including those vintage M42 screwmounts! And there are loads of Pentax mount lenses in the secondhand market at rock bottom prices.

I might sound like a Pentax fan here but I'm not (I use a Nikon D50), but I'd get a Pentax if I'm a newcomer to DSLRs.

why would one need a bigger sensor in the first place? the whole point of 4/3s is to have a system built around a sensor of that size.

also, which is more likely to happen? him needing to buy a non-AF-S lens and realising the D40 doesn't support it, and Olympus doing away with the 4/3s sensor?

mind you, the Four-Thirds system was designed to be different. and I believe Olympus is fully committed to doing so.

Leica! Leica! Leica!

Status
Not open for further replies.