nikon D3000 vs sony a330

Status
Not open for further replies.
so theoretically you can compare a leica m8 with a 5d mkII
ok! :D

I do agree to compare by price range. If the manufacturer dare to label such price, meaning there must be something to make to worth the price. eg "brand", build etc. To me, it's not right to make something look great by puting something worse beside it, without judging it's value.
And for your comparison, it's easy to make. Those like big thing go to C. Those care about size go to L. Both quality and size come with a price.

Thx for the inputs. I think i'll go for the Sony a330. Its well within my $1k budget plus the functions listed here makes it more attractive in the long run.

The A330 is built to use as a liveview DSLR. Using it in the traditional OVF way is surely uncomfortable. If you want cheaper + more feature + good ergonomics, look at the old A300.

Btw, an another Sony Yes, Nikon No (Canon No as well for that matters) is the built-in wireless flash trigger. Sony has this feature for all of their DSLRs. Nikon only has on the uppper entry level, D70 (80, 90) and up. Canon is even worse, only has it on their latest 7D.

I haven't seen anyone using wireless for flash before. Is this function important?

I haven't seen anyone using wireless for flash before. Is this function important?

You take the external flash gun out of the hot shoe, and use the built-in pop-up flash to control the external flash gun. On Canon system, except the new 7D, you'll need to purchase a transmitter (ET-S2 - around $300 brand new) to control the external flash guns. On Nikon system, the upper entry bodies and up can control wireless flash via the pop-up one. Not sure if Nikon system has any external transmitter for the entry level bodies.

Went to MS colors at AMK hub this afternoon.

Tried out D3000, 1000D and A230.

If I don't look at specifications, performance and prices, just how I feel with these cameras in my hands, I would prefer D3000, followed by 1000D and last A230.

D3000 is most natural, firm and comfortable to hold and shoot. I have to bend my fingers more when I hold the A230.

I'm a Sony user and frankly, I hate the grip on the A230 and those similar to it. Still prefer the older A200 & A300 series. Feel better in the hands. You have a higher chance of getting better pictures if you can handle the camera well.

Feature-wise for beginners, I'll stick to Sony. ;)

If I don't look at specifications, performance and prices, just how I feel with these cameras in my hands, I would prefer D3000, followed by 1000D and last A230.

D3000 is most natural, firm and comfortable to hold and shoot. I have to bend my fingers more when I hold the A230.

Ergonomics is under-rated.
In the end the camera is supposed to "get out of your way" of making good shots.
No use having the best feature set if the user doesn't feel like grabbing the camera at every opportunity.
Some cameras, you pull it out of the bag with one hand, and it feels firm and within your control. Others, you pull it out and immediately it feels like it's gonna slip out, so you need 2 hands on the camera to maintain control over it. Which would you rather take photos with?

You take the external flash gun out of the hot shoe, and use the built-in pop-up flash to control the external flash gun. On Canon system, except the new 7D, you'll need to purchase a transmitter (ET-S2 - around $300 brand new) to control the external flash guns. On Nikon system, the upper entry bodies and up can control wireless flash via the pop-up one. Not sure if Nikon system has any external transmitter for the entry level bodies.

Nikon sells at SU-800 (i THINK that's the name) wireless transmitter. It ain't cheap.
Their entry models weren't targeted at users of Nikon's AWL, which on hindsight is a great creative tool.
Most entry-level users just want a kit camera that blows their compacts out of the water in terms of image quality (colour, minimal noise, etc).

Get the Nikon then. The feel is most important as you are the one using the cam and has to be comfortable with it. Personally I do not like the grip of the new A230, A330 and A380. The older A200, A300 and A350 feels better, but as the newer range is targetted at a different user group hence Sony has implemented the on-screen Help Guide for beginners in DSLRs. Anyway, its a matter of time before others will copy this idea.

I don have a A330 (Im using A350) but I do hold one in Sony Style shops before, and it feels ok to me. Certainly doesnt feels like i will drop it at all. Maybe its because I don hv a giant hand? Has anyone ever seen or heard anyone dropping their A330 before?

So the advantage the D3000 has over the A330 is the supposingly better "feeling" when holding the camera. And for the "good feeling" on your hand, u lose out

a) Bracketing
b) Live View
c) Image Stabalisation
d) In body Focus Motor
e) Wireless Flash Transmitter
f) $$$ (A330 is cheaper, and also including the amount u will save in future by not needing to buy VR lens with focus motor)

Well, its the above 6 points vs better feeling I guess. Up to each individual's preference.

Last edited:
PS: If anyone asks u to buy Canon 1000D, that one's even worse than the Nikon D3000...

I think the eos1000d is a pretty good camera. pls dun write it off like tat, it's subjective...

I think the eos1000d is a pretty good camera. pls dun write it off like tat, it's subjective...

hahah
one member here, draken4130, is a living testiment to what the 1000D is able to achieve if youre willing to push it...

i didnt mean it that way. Im not saying the 1000D is a bad camera. I only mean I feel that the D3000 is a better cam than the 1000D.

But the 1000D do have its advantages over the D3000 of cos, like live view (which I agreed, will be useful for new users) and price, but the lack of spot meter (my fav metering) is a turn off. Spot metering is something very important IMO.

I edited my previous post to reflect more accurately what I wanted to say. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
hahah
one member here, draken4130, is a living testiment to what the 1000D is able to achieve if youre willing to push it...

Yes, he was lamenting on the decision for the longest time. And now he has happily moved on to the 50D.

I think it is the same for all beginner DSLR cameras. All DSLR are capable of good pics, just that different feature sets are added at each camera price/model level. And a lot of these cameras share a lot of internals throughout the ranges. (eg. D40x, D60, D3000, D80, D200 all share the same sensor).

This was what I took with D40x, a "low class camera" according to some dude who said it to my face... Hope the picture is not too awfully bad. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/3989718166_722d3acd4b_o.jpg

Last edited:
This was what I took with D40x, a "low class camera" according to some dude who said it to my face... Hope the picture is not too awfully bad. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/3989718166_722d3acd4b_o.jpg

Wassup with people and their low/high class classifications. Shoulda kicked that high class wannabe in the nuts. He doesn't deserve having a natural tripod setup ;)

Wassup with people and their low/high class classifications. Shoulda kicked that high class wannabe in the nuts. He doesn't deserve having a natural tripod setup ;)

I gave my usual smile :) and walked away. Didn't think it was worth it to waste time with that dude.

:thumbsup:

"Nikon's Worst DSLR — Ever." - Kenrockwell

Whatever.

And we all know Ken Rock-very-well is GOD! :bsmilie: I like the part where he said that we can all throw away our tripods now that we have VR! Priceless... makes me feel stupid still lugging that heavy 3 legged hunk of metal around... :think:

Sorry TS for the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.