Nikon D300 or d90 ?

Hi i am new here need some advise from the pro:D

i am new to camera . i getting myself a camera but don't know which want to choose .

D300 second hand or D90 what are the pro and con for the both camera ?

Just get a D90 if i will to recom, D300 might be too complex for u as a beginner, btw, there's tons of comparsion between this 2 model on the WWW and in here CS.. Do a search pls.. :)

Bro, i seen one with D3s.. (18 yr old telling me : "My father got it for me for my bdae, but i think i dunoe how to use leh..."):eek:
me: I teach you how to use my D80.... VERY simple wan!!! See? Just turn on and press a few buttons, can shoot wonderful pictures already... I trade with you my easy to use camera and some great lenses for your heavy and troublesome D3s, ok?

me: I teach you how to use my D80.... VERY simple wan!!! See? Just turn on and press a few buttons, can shoot wonderful pictures already... I trade with you my easy to use camera and some great lenses for your heavy and troublesome D3s, ok?

:bsmilie:

bro, i actually offered my D700 in exchg then, He dun even wan, ur D80 dun stand a chance la..muahahaahhaha ..

045.gif
its simply from my observation of Nikon users for such events which is why i wrote down "my opinion" beforehand.

I will be very sad if my wedding photographer turned up with a D90 :cry:

Okay okay.. so I fall into the category of clients who want big equipments for my events :p (will be quite happy with a D700 or 5DMkII)

I don't see a problem with a beginner getting any camera of any budget. What is big $$$ to you and me may be peanuts to someone else.

TS, either camera you listed are very good, no wrong choice either way. D300 has full compatibility to the older Nikon lenses AFAIK (metering and AF) if yo have legacy lenses.

Actually both D300 and D90 have compatibility to AF lenses, and I think most people will use that already (sorry arh, but I think AFAIK is really err... too ancient lah). The main differences that we talk about nowadays are lens driven motor (AFS or AF), which D5000 and below will not be able to use :bsmilie:

Bro, i seen one with D3s.. (18 yr old telling me : "My father got it for me for my bdae, but i think i dunoe how to use leh..."):eek:

Bro, tell me who... I go ask his father be my god-father :heart::heart::heart:

Actually both D300 and D90 have compatibility to AF lenses, and I think most people will use that already (sorry arh, but I think AFAIK is really err... too ancient lah). The main differences that we talk about nowadays are lens driven motor (AFS or AF), which D5000 and below will not be able to use :bsmilie:

Bro I think he was referring to both AF and Ai/Ais lenses. D90 cannot meter with Ai/Ais lenses.

Bro I think he was referring to both AF and Ai/Ais lenses. D90 cannot meter with Ai/Ais lenses.

Thanks for filling that up.

Yes, that is what I meant. Caused me a lot of grief when I helped research a Nikon DSLR replacement for a friend who had many old lenses.
Actually my friend felt the grief, I just had a hard time shifting for the answers :)

Thanks for filling that up.

Yes, that is what I meant. Caused me a lot of grief when I helped research a Nikon DSLR replacement for a friend who had many old lenses.
Actually my friend felt the grief, I just had a hard time shifting for the answers :)

The grief will turn to joy. Many of those old Ai Ais lenses are simply amazing. For some lenses, I can truly say "they don't make them like they used to!"

:bsmilie:

bro, i actually offered my D700 in exchg then, He dun even wan, ur D80 dun stand a chance la..muahahaahhaha ..
he's complaining the D3s is too complicated mah... your D700 almost the same complexity.
In comparison, my D80 is like a PnS! :bsmilie:

he's complaining the D3s is too complicated mah... your D700 almost the same complexity.
In comparison, my D80 is like a PnS! :bsmilie:

Too bad I sold my old D40x. If not I offer that. That one got even less buttons...

Welcome to CS:)You are a beginner and you wanna get D300?:bsmilie:

For entry level,should get Nikon D3000 or D5000...

Hmm... I may be opening myself up to some flames, but I don't think that getting a first dSLR equates to being a beginner.

While my artistic aspect of photography may not be anywhere near many people here, and my technical know-how may not be anywhere near the veterans, I wouldn't call myself a beginner. And my first dSLR was (and is still) the D300.

I really started photography with the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 until its limitations got to my nerves. And since I foresaw that I wouldn't mind manual focus lenses due to cost and possibly quality, I opted for the D300 over the D90.

Hence, I believe it is totally plausible for a dSLR newbie to get a high end first dSLR, IF he/she knows what he/she is doing and what he/she wants. :) In this case though, TS DID mention that he/she is new to cameras. Haha!

To TS, you'd have to assess your use and what you would acquire in future. Read up alot... and I mean alot alot alot, before deciding. It's not a small amount by any count. For me, if I never planned to get any AI or AIS lenses, I would've easily gone for the D90 coz of its size and weight. That said, I never regretted my D300 either. ;)

Last edited:
my opinion..

D90 is more for wedding photographers and D300 is more for the sports oriented photographer.

see what you want to do.

Actually this is not completely untrue..

Actually this is not completely untrue..
True or not, it's quite irrelevant to the TS' question.

Anyway, I've seen far more photogs using D3, D700, D300, 5D than
D90.
Yes I agree that D300's higher frame rate makes it more suited for certain sports, but not right to generalize like this.

True or not, it's quite irrelevant to the TS' question.

Anyway, I've seen far more photogs using D3, D700, D300, 5D than
D90.
Yes I agree that D300's higher frame rate makes it more suited for certain sports, but not right to generalize like this.

Would a sports shooter be more likely to use a D300 or a D90 if he were to choose from only these two cameras?

In fact, it's quite relevant to the TS's question as it gives him an idea of either camera's strengths.

At the same time, I've seen more photographers using D80s, D90s and whatever not than D3s, D700s, D300s and 5Ds. Doesn't matter if the TS prefers to buy something from the latter group. Irrelevance or?

Last edited:
Research DONE. It's just that, BOTH are quite SIMILAR & that is why need ADVISE. Thanks for "YOUR" advise. Perhaps administrator should close the "NEWBIES CORNER". BTW, I am new to cameras NOT idiot to cameras.:sticktong

I suggest YOU should go back to school & learn some MANNERS. :bsmilie:

Please do some research. These cameras are extensively reviewed online, compared side by side, etc etc. Do not expect to be spoonfed, show some initiative. Even here on CS there have been more than enough "D300 or D90" threads, and that's why there is a "search" function.

Google helps too, I suggest you learn how to use it.

I really started photography with the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 until its limitations got to my nerves. And since I foresaw that I wouldn't mind manual focus lenses due to cost and possibly quality, I opted for the D300 over the D90.

Hence, I believe it is totally plausible for a dSLR newbie to get a high end first dSLR, IF he/she knows what he/she is doing and what he/she wants. :) In this case though, TS DID mention that he/she is new to cameras. Haha!

I agree with you... ;)

Research DONE. It's just that, BOTH are quite SIMILAR & that is why need ADVISE. Thanks for "YOUR" advise. Perhaps administrator should close the "NEWBIES CORNER". BTW, I am new to cameras NOT idiot to cameras.:sticktong

Research NOT DONE. It's just that, BOTH cameras have been compared on the internet & that's why you need ADVISE on your ability to google and research on your own rather than letting others spoonfeed you. No thanks for "YOUR" research. Perhaps administrator should consider giving a warning to people like you who ask questions that has been asked a countless number of times. :sticktong

I suggest YOU go back to school & learn some BASIC GOOGLING SKILLS. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi i am new here need some advise from the pro:D

i am new to camera . i getting myself a camera but don't know which want to choose .

D300 second hand or D90 what are the pro and con for the both camera ?

Please see my earlier post in this very thread. You have not made any subsequent post to show the results of your "research", which you claim to have done.
Both are similar? Yeah... both made by Nikon. From 20metres away it's pretty hard to tell them apart, I agree...

please show to everyone that you have at least put in some effort to find out the differences between the 2 cameras, and then put some thought into whether those differences might mean anything to you. Please don't expect to write 3 lines and be spoonfed with an answer.
There will be people voting either way, so what are you going to do then?