Nikon 55-300mm VR DX Field Test

Very nice! The photos look quite sharp. Did you take them at the widest aperture?

yup except for the night shot

:bigeyes: which HDB siaz?

Thanks for sharing :)

I drop in to my fav shop in AMK and the lady with long hair quoted me $410 if I pay by cash. Is the price reasonable? ;p

Yes buy it ahaha iregardless with or w/o gst cost its cheaper den mine :sticktong

hi guys, would like to ask how would u compare this lens to the 70-300mm VR lens?

hi guys, would like to ask how would u compare this lens to the 70-300mm VR lens?

Check this link:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=36324771&q=55300&qf=m

Someone made a comparison with 28-300mm, 18-200mm, 70-300mm and 55-300mm.
Well its for you to decide ultimately.

But my advice would be if you are going for FX in the future, dont get the 55-300mm

Check this link:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=36324771&q=55300&qf=m

Someone made a comparison with 28-300mm, 18-200mm, 70-300mm and 55-300mm.
Well its for you to decide ultimately.

But my advice would be if you are going for FX in the future, dont get the 55-300mm

Wow thanks for the source, at 300mm, to my eyes, 55-300mm is the sharpest among all. and has the best CA control (can also due to inconsistent camera CA setting). Impressive :thumbsup:

I think next thing to consider among this 2 lenses is the bokeh. Build wise 70-300 is definitely better.

yup build wise 70-300mm better with IF somemore that i found lack in 55-300mm, but cn make do with it la.

that person try 70-300mm on D3. Maybe he shld test all on DX body n we cn see some more difference.

yup build wise 70-300mm better with IF somemore that i found lack in 55-300mm, but cn make do with it la.

that person try 70-300mm on D3. Maybe he shld test all on DX body n we cn see some more difference.

Pardon me. When you say the 55-300mm lacks IF, does it mean the lens rotates when focusing, thus making it more troublesome to use CPL filters on it?

Currently I'm looking at the 55-300mm as a lens to take with me to the zoo. I'm also hoping for a comparison between the 55-300 and 70-300 on a DX body. A notable number of user reviews have criticized the 70-300 to be soft beyond the 200mm focal length. I wonder if the 55-300 will encounter similar problems, although judging by your sample images such concerns appear to be unfounded.

Pardon me. When you say the 55-300mm lacks IF, does it mean the lens rotates when focusing, thus making it more troublesome to use CPL filters on it?

Currently I'm looking at the 55-300mm as a lens to take with me to the zoo. I'm also hoping for a comparison between the 55-300 and 70-300 on a DX body. A notable number of user reviews have criticized the 70-300 to be soft beyond the 200mm focal length. I wonder if the 55-300 will encounter similar problems, although judging by your sample images such concerns appear to be unfounded.

Correct, it will rotate when focusing. maybe tt's one reason y its cheap. But i did try on with CPL i think it cn be make do with, just that u nd to adjust the cpl each thing ur focus change. If u dont like the trouble, another option is to PS instead of CPL filter :bsmilie:

Going to the zoo too... this coming monday hope it dont rain:angel:

Correct, it will rotate when focusing. maybe tt's one reason y its cheap. But i did try on with CPL i think it cn be make do with, just that u nd to adjust the cpl each thing ur focus change. If u dont like the trouble, another option is to PS instead of CPL filter :bsmilie:

Going to the zoo too... this coming monday hope it dont rain:angel:

I see. It's a small compromise, I suppose. For the price and the build, this is basically a kit lens that happens to be quite sharp, so there can't be too many complaints if one is to be realistic.

So you'll be shooting with the 55-300mm at the zoo? Would love to see your images with that lens in a real-world test ;)

I see. It's a small compromise, I suppose. For the price and the build, this is basically a kit lens that happens to be quite sharp, so there can't be too many complaints if one is to be realistic.

So you'll be shooting with the 55-300mm at the zoo? Would love to see your images with that lens in a real-world test ;)

yup haven been to the zoo for 10yrs i guess ahaha :bsmilie: and this would be my 1st time shooting animals hope it goes well n get some decent shots. Oh n also hope my fiancee has the patient to wait for my shots :sweat:

yup haven been to the zoo for 10yrs i guess ahaha :bsmilie: and this would be my 1st time shooting animals hope it goes well n get some decent shots. Oh n also hope my fiancee has the patient to wait for my shots :sweat:

I find myself in the same position as you. I can't remember the last time I visited the zoo. By the way, I recall someone mentioning that the amphitheater was under renovation recently. I'm not sure if they're done with that, as the zoo's website makes no mention of it. It would be great if you can let us know whether service is back to normal there after you come back ;)

I think if you alternate between shooting the animals and your fiancee her patience should last a long time. That's what I do when I go out shooting with my girlfriend too. Unless your fiancee is the camera-shy type, then you will have to seek other solutions :bsmilie:

I drop in to my fav shop in AMK and the lady with long hair quoted me $410 if I pay by cash. Is the price reasonable? ;p

Thats darn cheap!