Nikon 18-200mm VR II or VR I

flyeminent

Dec 24, 2010
Recently I am considering to get a lens for my D5000. I am kind of wandering between Nikon 18-200mm VR and VRII. I have read some posts on the internet, and this is just a nice comparison:http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-200mm-ii.htm But I still haven't yet decided.
Just curious that if other conditions equal (price also), which one will you guys go for?
By the way, just a question from newbie, is VRII an internal focus lens? Because I didn't see "IF" in the lens name, where as VR does specify "IF".:dunno:

Correct me if I am wrong, VR = Vibration Reduction & not auto focusing ;). There are many such zoom lens in the market, I am using the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM so far no complains & much much cheaper than Nikon.

Correct me if I am wrong, VR = Vibration Reduction & not auto focusing ;). There are many such zoom lens in the market, I am using the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM so far no complains & much much cheaper than Nikon.

You are correct. But I am answering about "IF". If you see Nikon website, you will find two 18-200mm lens
  1. AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II (new)
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (old)
Do you see the "ED" and "IF-ED", that's what I am asking.

From the lens brochure that I got from NSC. Vr2 uses IF. I dont think new vr1 is available anymore. I uses vr2 and the lock switch does help prevent zoom creep when I just hanging the cam on my body or in the bag.

From the lens brochure that I got from NSC. Vr2 uses IF. I dont think new vr1 is available anymore. I uses vr2 and the lock switch does help prevent zoom creep when I just hanging the cam on my body or in the bag.

Thanks, very good comment. That's exactly what I need to know.:cool:

From what I understand, the main difference between the two lenses is that creep is a lot less in the vr2 + it has a lock. The optics and vr is said to be identical.

BTW, since you're choosing between the two, may I know what is the price diff? :what:

Recently I am considering to get a lens for my D5000. I am kind of wandering between Nikon 18-200mm VR and VRII. I have read some posts on the internet, and this is just a nice comparison:http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-200mm-ii.htm But I still haven't yet decided.
Just curious that if other conditions equal (price also), which one will you guys go for?
By the way, just a question from newbie, is VRII an internal focus lens? Because I didn't see "IF" in the lens name, where as VR does specify "IF".:dunno:

I bought VRII because it can lock the "zoom" lens

Yes the version II has IF as well.
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/i...oom/af-s_dx_18-200mmf_35-56g_ed_vr2/index.htm

read below "Click to view lens specs"

Ryan

BTW, since you're choosing between the two, may I know what is the price diff? :what:

70 S$ different according to Nikon SG.

I bought VRII because it can lock the "zoom" lens

Do you often use the "zoom lock"? Let me guess, does this additional feature in VRII imply that "zoom creep" is more obvious drawback than that in VRI?

From what I understand, the main difference between the two lenses is that creep is a lot less in the vr2 + it has a lock. The optics and vr is said to be identical.

Do you really feel that creep is less in VRII than VRI? Or is it a comment from someone else?

Do you often use the "zoom lock"? Let me guess, does this additional feature in VRII imply that "zoom creep" is more obvious drawback than that in VRI?

logically, VRII lens should have the 2nd generation vibration reduction technology in it. However, so far the review I came across is just mention that the main difference the 2 lenses is the zoom lock.

Not sure about the original VR copy, but the VRII's creep gets more prominent as we use. Mine a year old and when carrying it with lens pointing down, it is inevitable that I need to have the lock on. If you have the weight of the battery pack and carries the camera horizontally most of the time, then the lock may not be necessary, but then again, if any impact, it will be directly on the lens.

Not sure about the original VR copy, but the VRII's creep gets more prominent as we use. Mine a year old and when carrying it with lens pointing down, it is inevitable that I need to have the lock on. If you have the weight of the battery pack and carries the camera horizontally most of the time, then the lock may not be necessary, but then again, if any impact, it will be directly on the lens.

According to some reviews, such as http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_18-200_vr/discuss/72157621872152662/, somebody said the zoom creep is SLIGHTLY improved in VRII, still not so prominent though. A question, the 18mm zoom lock only lock the lens at 18mm, right? Because someone said the zoom creep only happens between 35mm-135mm, which means zoom lock is not useful at all? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Just an added on, I just bought a compact camera bag in which I have no choice but to keep the camera vertically with the lens pointing down. I guess I have to buy a new bag in near feature.

According to some reviews, such as http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_18-200_vr/discuss/72157621872152662/, somebody said the zoom creep is SLIGHTLY improved in VRII, still not so prominent though. A question, the 18mm zoom lock only lock the lens at 18mm, right? Because someone said the zoom creep only happens between 35mm-135mm, which means zoom lock is not useful at all? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Just an added on, I just bought a compact camera bag in which I have no choice but to keep the camera vertically with the lens pointing down. I guess I have to buy a new bag in near feature.

As mentioned earlier, I am not sure about the VR1, therefore cannot comment. And yes, the VRII locks at 18mm where the lens is retracted to the fullest (think of it like a door latch, not something that is high tech :bsmilie:). I think most of such 'extendable' zoom lens are the same. If you keep it in the bag, chances is that it will not happen, as the sides of the bag will be gripping onto the barrel or the lens hood, holding it back. Only if it is free hanging and worse if we walk and swing it a little.

Sometimes we need to understand that those reviewers may be holding onto a newer copy, which similarly I do find that there is hardly any creep at first, but it gets 'looser' upon usage over time, until now it creeps anywhere from 18 to 150+mm. :bsmilie:

Not saying it is a problem, but imagine having to send it for tightening every year or so (if people are particular over this), it is just that I find it a little more of a nuisance than a problem.:dunno:

Last edited:
Do you really feel that creep is less in VRII than VRI? Or is it a comment from someone else?

I personally own only the vr1. A friend of mine who owned both the vr1 and vr2 told me that both lenses suffered from creep, but that the vr2 was marginally better (slower speed of creep).
Neither lens creeps at 18mm or 200mm though. Creep is only present between 35mm and 170mm.
You can leave the vr1 lens at 18mm, and the lens doesn't creep, but i haven't tried it for extended periods of time, only for short times less than 10mins while i'm walking (have the black rapid strap which mounts through the tripod mounting hole).
Both the lenses have the second edition of vr, and are optically similar.

18-200 VR is actually a VRII (4 stops).. so essentially for 18-200, repeat, for 18-200, VRI and VRII is the same
hope this helps..