Nikon 12-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi guys

Can anyone post pictures taken by this lens? Interested in buying this lens as I do travel alot and would like a wider lens to capture the image.

Anyone knows how much this is retailing in the market ?

many thanks!

Would you recommend the nikon 12-24 or tokina 12-24?

I went to CP to check the price. 12-24 retailing at 1530. tokina retailing at 799

You can consider getting a 2nd hand Tokina one at about $600.

many thanks!

Would you recommend the nikon 12-24 or tokina 12-24?

I went to CP to check the price. 12-24 retailing at 1530. tokina retailing at 799

tokina is just as good as the nikon in terms of sharpness, buildwise its very solid as well, but a tad heavier. but the tokina has a weakness when it comes with CA. quite bad purple fringing at high contrast areas, but shoot in raw and fix it in photoshop, should be okay. :)

you can search flickr for sample pictures! i remember ken rockwell doing an extensive review for 4 pieces of lenses around this focal length.

the nikon 12-24, the tokina 12-24, the sigma 10-20, and the tamron 11-18. :) goodluck!

edit : my bad, entropyh has already included that extensive review link above. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, i guess people who are using Nikon 12-24 will say Nikon. And Tokina user will say Tokina right?

For me, Tokina. Hoho, and i am loving it~

Hmm, i guess people who are using Nikon 12-24 will say Nikon. And Tokina user will say Tokina right?

For me, Tokina. Hoho, and i am loving it~

I use both Sigma and Nikon. Advantage of Sigma is that it covers FX, and it is, at this point in time, the widest rectilinear lens you can get for FX. Disadvantage is the small and floating aperture.

Nikon is sharper and slightly faster at f/4. But it only covers DX and the rectilinear projection seems to stretched a bit too much at the corners.

However, I'm not so much an ultrawide shooter.

Here are 2 images taken using Nikon's 12-24. It's a great lens I must say. =D
1649757088_4539581034.jpg

1649441960_b202e3d486.jpg

I use both Sigma and Nikon. Advantage of Sigma is that it covers FX, and it is, at this point in time, the widest rectilinear lens you can get for FX. Disadvantage is the small and floating aperture.

Nikon is sharper and slightly faster at f/4. But it only covers DX and the rectilinear projection seems to stretched a bit too much at the corners.

However, I'm not so much an ultrawide shooter.

Just to clarify for the TS, when Isisaxon says he's using the Sigma, he's referring to the Sigma 12-24, not the 10-20. The Sigma 12-24 is the widest rectilinear you can get on an FX body.

There's a "new" (sort of) kid on the block -- Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

While it's more a prime than a zoom, given its limited range, it's f2.8, not too expensive and besides the usual CA that seems to bother Tokinas, it can be used on the Nikon FX between the 15-16mm focal length is K.R. is to be believed.

There's a "new" (sort of) kid on the block -- Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

While it's more a prime than a zoom, given its limited range, it's f2.8, not too expensive and besides the usual CA that seems to bother Tokinas, it can be used on the Nikon FX between the 15-16mm focal length is K.R. is to be believed.

There's some discussion here on the Tokina 11-16.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378144

I find the 12-24 a very useful lens to have around during travel photography.

Here is one taken at 12mm:

Otaru0372.jpg

I find the 12-24 a very useful lens to have around during travel photography.

Here is one taken at 12mm:

Otaru in winter!

12-24mm is a great lightweight zoom to use
Here is a take last yr in Europe

2437897295_23771396dc.jpg

Wow, all those pictures are great! Keep them coming...!

I have decided on either a brand new tokina or a 2nd hand nikon.

Cheers!

Wow, all those pictures are great! Keep them coming...!

I have decided on either a brand new tokina or a 2nd hand nikon.

Cheers!

if you have the moolah, get the nikon. with AFS, it focuses much faster than tokina.

i used both before (come to think of it, even had 2 copies of the tokina too). ended up selling both of tokinas, and never got round getting the nikon cos (a) only rather occasionally need something wider than 17mm on my 17-35mm/f2.8, (b) the distortion, even on the nikon, is noticeable to me.. meaning more time on CS3 to adjust.. *BLEAH*, and (c) the nikon 12-24 is too much $$$ for too occasional a use for me. :embrass:

if you have the moolah, get the nikon. with AFS, it focuses much faster than tokina.

i used both before (come to think of it, even had 2 copies of the tokina too). ended up selling both of tokinas, and never got round getting the nikon cos (a) only rather occasionally need something wider than 17mm on my 17-35mm/f2.8, (b) the distortion, even on the nikon, is noticeable to me.. meaning more time on CS3 to adjust.. *BLEAH*, and (c) the nikon 12-24 is too much $$$ for too occasional a use for me. :embrass:

I thought distortion is inherent in ultra-wide angle lens. Sometimes it is the distortion that gives a dramatic effect. :)

2583669365_a778c5b469_o.jpg

2583668537_fd36d9ebbe_o.jpg

Sharing my recent shots in Japan.
Processed a few from Osaka for preview, taken with the 12-24mm.

The 12-24mm was the first lens i bought after i bought my D80 last yr.
Has been difficult trying to kick off the habit of overusing my 12-24mm :bsmilie:

2772054669_5f5395382b.jpg

2772901428_1ac11d34b5.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
Sharing my recent shots in Japan.
Processed a few from Osaka for preview, taken with the 12-24mm.

The 12-24mm was the first lens i bought after i bought my D80 last yr.
Has been difficult trying to kick off the habit of overusing my 12-24mm :bsmilie:

Ryan

And some degree of sharpening too, right? Nice colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.