[News] 43-year-old Chinese man shot by police at Outram Park MRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
the words 'kill' and 'dead' were not in my post. 'protect' was. you miss my point totally. hehe!

better said than done ...

think tt you missed my point ... martial arts is not meant to learn how to kill ... "competent instruction giver" probably would recommend against "executing effectively" anyway ...

but then again, the correct blow or kick to the correct place does leave a person dead if you care to find out ... usually u need to use a lot of force ...

While some of you might sympatise with the killed knief wielding man but have you considered that he murdered someone earlier and run away? What about that person he killed? Is he a breadwinner and have a family to feed but can't now. If you can envision that on the police officer ( telling myself that my mom and dad still has a son to feed them) then why not the earlier murdered man? We all live a life of choices. Whatever choice you make with it...you face the good it brings or the bad. The knief wielding man...got what he deserve from the action he took. He had a choice.

eh, for one, I cannot sympathise with him ... u dun go ard w a knife and mess ard expecting nothing will happen ... afterall, the society demands a stable and law-bidding environment and the police is there to ensure and even enforce it ...

Our safety in the society is dependent on the law-enforcement officers who make sure that these kinds of ppl are kept to a bare minimum ... before they take out their knieves, they should expect some strong "reactions" ...

Our sympathies should go out to the young man who discharges his gun. He will live forever in the guilt of shooting to death a fellow human being.

Not to diinish the threat, but 15 cm is the length of some men's middle fingers... in other words, a small knife. Not a parang, not a commando hunting knife with saw tooth edges, etc.

I absolutely love the way one can sit behind a computer screen and casually dissect the entire shooting as if he were there.

I have no illusions about how you think and of course, i would even hesitate to even, for a moment consider how you will so skillfully react to the situation, dis-arming the armed subject who has just murdered someone and come out unscathed.

The Police Officer is also human. He too has a family to care for. Would you rather see photos of the wife/parents crying her/their eyes out and then go, "poor thing...". In fact, i would even wager, if the officer was hurt or killed, then we will have the very same arm chair critics asking why wasn't his gun drawn? Or present a whole host of various scenarios to share how wonderful their hind sight can be.

If the officer has to live with the guilt, then at least we can say he can at least feel guilt. I do not think we can say the same for a murderer who decides that just because he wields a knife in a public place, he was do as he damn well please.

The swift decisive action of this officer saved not only his own life but the life of many innocent by-standers who might have been injured, or worse, killed by the knife wielder. He was placed in a situation where he knows he had to make a decision and he had to do it accurately.

He was brave enough to know that he will have to answer for his action and yet, he carried out his duties so that alot of people can go home safely to their loved ones.

Sounds like the whole story was drawn from the morning police briefing, with no effort made by the reporters for independent verification and followup.

:thumbsd: for you. If you are so smart, be that Reporter!

Not to diinish the threat, but 15 cm is the length of some men's middle fingers... in other words, a small knife. Not a parang, not a commando hunting knife with saw tooth edges, etc.

:thumbsd: for you. Even a regular door key can be an effective weapon, not to mention a knife.
Maybe you should have been that Officer. But then again, the story would turn out different.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for the Officer!

Moderator, if this post is deemed rude, I accept it being removed and any infractions bestowed on me....

:think: use stun gun or taser

yeah ah, this is one incident where a taser would have helped greatly. but then, all those arguments about tasers being misused would start flooding out.

oh well, he'll still be hanged anyway taser or not. disneyland with a death penalty.

Did he ever consider shooting the leg(thigh) of the offender to stop his aggression?

You aim lah. I am running to you wielding a 15cm knife, you have time to pull out your pistol, aim for my thigh in such a way that you penetrate the muscle and penetrate the thigh bone as such to immobilise me ON THE SPOT, and not merely slow me down so I still sink the knife into you?

:think: use stun gun or taser

Again, a stun gun does not immobilise a suspect immediately. You guys should really read through the thread. I've learnt a lot from watching the armchair critics being rebutted.

Kudos to the police officer, he did the right thing.

I wonder are taser guns a secondary weapon a officer should carry with them?
They can fire to disable suspects instead of killing, it would be easier for them to draw aim & fire without hesitation and a shorter report to write.

Then again what if 1 guy draws the wrong weapon under pressure and fires! that would be DEADLY.

i read that taser guns had caused deaths(probably unintended) in other countries. but mha said that the risk is low.

when i first heard the news, the very first thing that came across my mind was "why he didnt shoot the legs?"

then i read on, 15cm knife and within 3 metres range, a distance that the man can close in within how many secs are we talking about ? to draw a gun, aim at butt/leg/hand ... ??

yeah the police officer should have done this akido or jacky cheung style but in reality, it is probably the best thing to do in the worst situation. i think if the police officer had died instead, people would be thinking otherwise : why the police officer didnt pull out his gun ?

lotsa WHYs. i just think the police officer had done what he should have done - protect the public, people like us.

What's done has been done. As long as one can justify his/her actions, we should just accept and move on.

You aim lah. I am running to you wielding a 15cm knife, you have time to pull out your pistol, aim for my thigh in such a way that you penetrate the muscle and penetrate the thigh bone as such to immobilise me ON THE SPOT, and not merely slow me down so I still sink the knife into you?
\

Yeah. The most certain way to immobilize an opponent 'on the spot' would be a bullet in the head.
Stun guns has a different effect on different pple. Some may get heart attack when fired upon, while others in the heat of the adrenaline, will not be stopped by the electric shock, they will still be able to charge forward dangerously.

Imho, no one has any business taking a knife and lunging at an armed police officer, the officer has every right not to shoot the leg, dont confuse wat we read in books or see in the movies with real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.