Newbie's Dilemma - Canon or Nikon?

Well, you may want to consider other brands as well. A lot of Newbies are fixated on the two major brands without giving other brands such as Pentax, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus a fair chance. I know - I used to be one of them!

For example, many seniors here recommend the Pentax K-r or Sony A-33. These cameras offer a lot of features at a similar (or even better price) than the big two.

Open up your options and get the best deals and value for your money. Look at Pentax, Sony and Olympus as well.

I would recommend a Pentax Kr. Very good performance and features for a very good price.

Yes, you should be thinking Pentax or Olympus.

First, I want to thank all for the constructive replies, and with some honesty, feel quite dampened by some too. I apologise for asking those 'age-old, ask until going to grow mould' questions, but I feel these are part of a learning curve for me.

Why Canon or Nikon? Cos those whom I know are using these two. Call it terrific marketing if you must, but having friends who are using from these two camps kind of reassures me that should I need help, it's just a phone call away.

I will most likely be aiming for a 550D with the 18-135mm lens. Cos it's likely that I will just stick to one or two lens first, and sharing might not work out.

While I still do not know everything, and am taking this big plunge soon into the whole DSLR, please be gentle with me for I'm still feeling my way through.

Thank you.

First, I want to thank all for the constructive replies, and with some honesty, feel quite dampened by some too. I apologise for asking those 'age-old, ask until going to grow mould' questions, but I feel these are part of a learning curve for me.

Why Canon or Nikon? Cos those whom I know are using these two. Call it terrific marketing if you must, but having friends who are using from these two camps kind of reassures me that should I need help, it's just a phone call away.

I will most likely be aiming for a 550D with the 18-135mm lens. Cos it's likely that I will just stick to one or two lens first, and sharing might not work out.

While I still do not know everything, and am taking this big plunge soon into the whole DSLR, please be gentle with me for I'm still feeling my way through.

Thank you.

Welcome to CS!

The question "Nikon or Canon?" is very similar to the question "Colgate or Crest toothpaste?". Some people will tell you Colgate and swear by it. Some people will tell you Crest and swear by it too. Some people will tell you not to forget Darlie because it is cheap and just as good. Some will tell you Sensodyne is good because it specializes in sensitive teeth and is much better than the other toothpaste brands because they do not advertise as much.

And some people will smartly point out that if you do not know how to brush your teeth properly, none of the toothpaste will matter.

Anyway, enough "dampening" talk...

Here are some links you might find useful:

Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Newbie guide to buying lenses:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/lens_buying_guide_01.htm

Newbie guide to buying DSLR:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

Basics of camera operation:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Last edited:
this thread has popped up quite a number of times. please do a search before posting anything...

Thank you.
It's true that strong marketing helps put these brands at the top of potential buyers' minds.
But it would be such a pity if you did not even consider the other brands in your decision-making process.
Some are terrific value for money.

edit: further to the points raised, photography is not brand-specific in any way. The basic concepts apply across the board.
If you need to ask your friends simple questions about your camera operation, then I dare say you're being quite lazy. All basic operations can be found in the manual. If you don't even wanna learn that way, perhaps sticking to PnS would be more ideal.

Last edited:
You are right to look at Canon or Nikon. They are established brand and have good entry level DSLRs.

If your heart go to 550D, buy it and start shooting. This camera will last you long enough before you need a upgrade.

Since you mention Nikon, D3100 is another good camera and at lower cost.

No need to read a lot to decide on a DSLR. Learn photography instead.

No you should just look at leica . They have been in the business for close to hundred years. Much longer history than any digital manufacturers existing.

They make very value for money camera. After many years their value will still hold no matter what. :)

No you should just look at leica . They have been in the business for close to hundred years. Much longer history than any digital manufacturers existing.

They make very value for money camera. After many years their value will still hold no matter what. :)

eh.... longest existing camera company is KODAK. So you know.;)

I think that while it is true that it is a very common question asked, I dont think its an unreasonable topic if you put yourself in a newbies shoes. Alot of things can be searched and googled, but that in itself gives the problem of information overload, inability to discern reliability of info, or out-of-date info. As a newbie myself, I dont think TS or similar posters are asking to be spoonfed, but merely looking for multiple POVs to consider, more insights/Some characteristics of the camera that he should consider before making the big decision. Some of the stickies are good and have helped me as well, but I think each of us have individual needs and its not possible to have a one-size-fits-all topic/link/post/sticky that can cover each individuals' personality, situation and needs.

Not saying that one should necessarily be spoonfed but it may not be very helpful to give the politically correct answer that both (or any other brands) are the same, and that should just buy either.

One camera system is incompatible with the other and for some people its a really major decision for their money. Look, feel and handling varies between models and a newbie might not be able to discern well, and not all of us might have access to photography friends/relatives.

As for TS' case, maybe you can share what you feel are your needs, and what you like/want to shoot.Eg. Sports/Nighttime? Agree with Spock that you should find out more from your cousin also. Consider what he has to say.

but it may not be very helpful to give the politically correct answer that both (or any other brands) are the same, and that should just buy either.

One camera system is incompatible with the other and for some people its a really major decision for their money.

I think alot of those comments are really honest answers and they are not said for the sake of being politically correct.

I guess what we are trying to advise is, camera brand does not define photography. Its like asking what brand of running shoes is better. Cant really get a definite answers, you will get some , but at the end of the day , we need to decipher facts and opinions.

I dont recall seeing any camera system that is compatible with each other also. So when we buy a camera, we are buying a system and we will grow in the hobby and we need to consider if that system supports our growth.

Currently, almost all of the major brands are able to support the average consumer photography growth demand.

I definitely agree that camera is not cheap and we need to invest our money wisely. Ironically, that isnt that case most of the time , as we notice that first time buyer perogative is still on finding the best camera , and not finding the most value for money camera.

Which is why , when alternatives are suggested, those choices are immediately rejected.

Maybe to put it another way, let say, which manufacturers makes the best car ? Continental or Japanese ? You will get tons of response. But in reality , a car is somehting that moves and brings you where you want to go . All cars can do that, but not all cars gives you the value that you need.

Thats consideration we are trying to get first time buyers into . nothing else really :)

I think it's a harder task to find a camera brand that COULDN'T deliver great tech specs than finding one that's insufficient for ones needs... My suggestion is just set a budget, narrow down the offerings that fit into that budget, then go out and hold the cameras... Get whichever feels right.

We are all once a newbie.
For me, it was sort of overwhelming, which one to get when there are so many choices. It is worst when you just can't wait to get started. So rather than looking at the map yourself, one may hope that at least someone can point him/her to a (good) direction to get started. Of course it will be better if you can read the map yourself. After the flurry initial stage of excitement of getting the first dslr, one get settle down. Then the buy buy buy virus bite you and this get started all over again. :bsmilie:

I see very general feedback, maybe i should highlight to you the best bang for buck.

Nikon - D90 (with the launch of D7000, you should be able to get this baby at a very good price around $14xx)

Canon - 500D (if you prefer canon's colour)

If you are a guy (D5000) if you are a lady (D3100)

Technically speaking guys are better at adapting to technology and learning new toy faster, so D3100 is :nono:.

I think that while it is true that it is a very common question asked, I dont think its an unreasonable topic if you put yourself in a newbies shoes. Alot of things can be searched and googled, but that in itself gives the problem of information overload, inability to discern reliability of info, or out-of-date info. As a newbie myself, I dont think TS or similar posters are asking to be spoonfed, but merely looking for multiple POVs to consider, more insights/Some characteristics of the camera that he should consider before making the big decision. Some of the stickies are good and have helped me as well, but I think each of us have individual needs and its not possible to have a one-size-fits-all topic/link/post/sticky that can cover each individuals' personality, situation and needs.

Not saying that one should necessarily be spoonfed but it may not be very helpful to give the politically correct answer that both (or any other brands) are the same, and that should just buy either.

One camera system is incompatible with the other and for some people its a really major decision for their money. Look, feel and handling varies between models and a newbie might not be able to discern well, and not all of us might have access to photography friends/relatives.

As for TS' case, maybe you can share what you feel are your needs, and what you like/want to shoot.Eg. Sports/Nighttime? Agree with Spock that you should find out more from your cousin also. Consider what he has to say.

It is not being politically correct. All the brands are different but not one is better than another. Why? Because people are different and have different preferences and needs.

If TS comes in here to ask which is better, this is what will happen, C users will say C better. N users will say N better. S users will say S better. P users will say P better. The POV and insights will be so far skewed in personal preferences of the individuals, that they will not be relevant to TS's own needs. With viewpoints so varied and far apart, in the end, TS will still be back to square one.

The most effectively way for TS, is to get off his behind, and go down to a camera store and try out the different brands and models he is interested in and fits his budget. That is the sure fire way to get what he will prefer in the end, rather than asking a whole bunch of folks which is the best.

So I ask again... Is Colgate better or Crest better? :dunno: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm currently using Panasonic LX3, and am thinking of making the jump to a DSLR.

Would like to ask what would be a good brand for a DSLR, and the rough price range for it?

I am leaning towards the Canon 500/550D, but am not sure which is better. Partially, that's because my cousin has a Nikon and I thought I would like to get something different so we can switch from time to time to play... which brings about the question whether the two can share lenses?

Thanks for your input!

HI GO FOR OLYMPUS.. CHEERS:thumbsup:

Personally, I think if you are looking for a entry-level dSLR, perhaps you don't really need to confine yourself between Canon and Nikon.

Pentax, Oly & Sony make wonderful value for money (especially Pentax:thumbsup:) entry-level dSLR as well.

Try, hold and feel all the brands' dSLR that you can get hold of and FEEL IT.

I understand that you're fond of 550D and I had to admit that it's a good camera but I would like you to take a look at other makes as well.:)

I'll bet TS has no differentiation between different DSLR systems he or she is into: Four-thirds, APS-H, APS-C crop-sensors and Full frame sensor bodies...

Here's a good starter reading into the differences...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

Be sure you know what you're getting into... It maybe become a long term spending.

For example, if you want to move on from crop sensor bodies into FF, only certain brands support that, while still being able to use certain FF lenses...

Have fun and welcome!