Newbies Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's the advantage of 85mm, say to the other 2.8 zoom lens or my 25-105 F4 IS? is it worth it? maybe its around 500 bucks?

with a 500d, f2.8 is not fast enough for indoor shots without a flash. 24-105 is a great walkabout lens, but i wouldn't recommend using it for taking pictures of kids.

and not to mention, the bokeh of a fast prime is simply irresistible. :)

with a 500d, f2.8 is not fast enough for indoor shots without a flash. 24-105 is a great walkabout lens, but i wouldn't recommend using it for taking pictures of kids.

and not to mention, the bokeh of a fast prime is simply irresistible. :)

then if thats the point, better choose 50mm f1.8 II, cheap but sharp and fast!

500D against the 30D/40D/450D/1000D suggestions as it has the latest technology. Includes video. Has got higher ISO performance compared to the 450D/1000D.
Definitely a body to keep for at least another 2-3 years.
Assuming you get the body set, which is about $1060.

You'll be left with $1440.
New Canon EF 50mm 1.8 = $135
New Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC/VC = $620/$960 or Used Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS = $850 or New Canon EF-S 18-135 IS = $530

The rest is up to you. Dry Cabinet = $119. Bag? SD Cards? Tripod? Misc: Batteries/Flash/Cloth/Blower

Tried out 50D Kit I EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS at J316 today together with 500D n D90.

Most likely going for it. All 3 satisfy my needs but 50D body speak to me most.

Any words on where to go? additional lens to get? additional battery needed?

TIA

Since you are new to DSLR, I would recommend you to get the 1000D or the 500D. The 1000D is a great camera as I myself own one too.

My advise is not to get a 2nd hand for the body, since you said it will last you for at least 3 years. Cuz for some 2nd hand, the shutter count might be quite alot already, and it does have a life span.

The kit lens that comes with the Canon body is a very good lens. Do not rush into changing the kit lens so fast. Shoot a couple of times or a few months, then you will know what your shooting styles is. And what type of lens is required for your styles of shooting. Then can consider buying from the B&S section.

Since you are new to DSLR, I would recommend you to get the 1000D or the 500D. The 1000D is a great camera as I myself own one too.

My advise is not to get a 2nd hand for the body, since you said it will last you for at least 3 years. Cuz for some 2nd hand, the shutter count might be quite alot already, and it does have a life span.

The kit lens that comes with the Canon body is a very good lens. Do not rush into changing the kit lens so fast. Shoot a couple of times or a few months, then you will know what your shooting styles is. And what type of lens is required for your styles of shooting. Then can consider buying from the B&S section.
Haha... True... my 350D shutter count is reaching near 15K already. ;)

Other than Video hoo-haa, Live view, more MP, there is not much difference in the old and new Rebel/XXXD series...

P.S. 1000D is very similar of 350D, same 7 point AF, same no spot metering, but I can live with those...

Status
Not open for further replies.