Newbies and events/wedding photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.
espn said:
Hehe.. that's true, snapshots are more fun than selling images when you're the guest :)
Award wining snapshots! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eikin you tap alone with me, your snapshot become award wining. :bigeyes: I get money and you get fame, you win liao lor. :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Award wining snapshots! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eikin you tap alone with me, your snapshot become award wining. :bigeyes: I get money and you get fame, you win liao lor. :bsmilie:

alamak, you at it again :rolleyes:

Actually, you don't really have to ask, you can quite observe and feel it. Events and weddings just seem to be the favourite flavour of the pie in S'pore, and no wonder, the pie is getting smaller for everyone. (It's already very small.)

I agree with Catchlights on his last point "can begin with minimum skills". Events are quite easy to begin with, if not the easiest. Wedding days are really events, just a more important and glamourous event. Hence, it's not difficult for some event-shooter to jump into the wedding day bandwagon.

Seriously, how difficult is it to mount a flash, set it to some auto mode like ETTL, and fire away? A primary school kid can do it! A primary school kid can even calculate the Guide Number formula if you taught him how to.

Personally, I also don't quite like doing events because it doesn't allow much artistic creativity. Events are about documentary tell-it-as-it-is shots, and you often don't see it appropriate to do special effects etc. I got bored of it, and I think I understand how some like-minded ClubSnap users feel as well. After a long while, it starts to become quite repetitive.

Other fields, such as portraits, landscapes, nature, etc provide more outlet for creativity. These fields also provide some unpredictability, hence a bit more excitement and challenge. Well, that's how I see it.

Who want to shoot weddings with passion only and don’t want money? Tell me, I got plenty.

Let me fulfill your passion for wedding photography. Btw, look for Paul Yeo also can. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Jemapela said:
"can begin with minimum skills".

huh, you mean as easy as point and shoot ah :think:

jopel said:

most clients' expectations on skills are low these days, they just want cheap and 'OK' service most of the time.

I'm sure that, with a good eye, experience and knowing what to anticipate, many ClubSnap members can shoot nice event images. After a while, it's not overly difficult to gather these skills for event photography. And I'm sure S'pore is not lacking in events.

In another thread, there was a discussion about S'poreans always on "a tight budget", and always wanting it "cheap", or even better "for free".

Not only is the pie smaller, the pie rewards you with a lousy taste that's cheaply lacking? (whatever that means... ohh well, it's late so I'm spewing with a half-sleeping brain).

Lets face it, events and wedding are plenty, anyone also can shoot, many newbie also think of a way to finance their expensive hobby, this is the most easy entrance.

But when you come to a certain level involvement in event and wedding day, sure will affect you passion on photography.

If anyone of you is rich enough to buy whatever camera or lens they want without resource this, that's very good.

Btw, don’t thinks event or wedding day is easy, yes, is easy to start, but not easy to be good in this area.

Don’t believe me, ask my senior PeterLim.

espn said:
Not true, refer to my post above.

I'll agree on point 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. Pt 6, I hardly get to eat leh.

Wedding is never mundane, that's why I waiting for KK to open class. :)

Hi...you are quite right....i usually get a seat but not always do i get to eat...but putting it in perspective, we, wedding photographers must be one of the largest consumers of sharks fin...esp when its the second or third dish and before the second march in =)

iamasaint said:
Hi...you are quite right....i usually get a seat but not always do i get to eat...but putting it in perspective, we, wedding photographers must be one of the largest consumers of sharks fin...esp when its the second or third dish and before the second march in =)
Well, shark's fin is always around the 3rd/4th dish, and it's always before the 2nd march in :bsmilie:

Sion said:
Another way to enjoy wedding is to become a groom once a month and shoot your own weddings (If the law in your country allows you to marry so many times). :bsmilie:

i don't see how getting married every month is something very enjoyable :confused: at least i don't envy someone who do that

jopel said:
Of high lag times and blurred photos.

I din noe ppl nowadays like dis style. :D

espn said:
Well, shark's fin is always around the 3rd/4th dish, and it's always before the 2nd march in :bsmilie:
Are you sure??
Most ballroom serve shark's fin on the second dish, it depand on manul, the leave the ballroom after 2nd dish, that's about 8.50 t0 9.00, anyway, the couple march in again after the fish dish most of the time. that's about 9.30 to 9.40.

jsbn said:
Of high lag times and blurred photos.

I din noe ppl nowadays like dis style. :D
point and shoot also a kind of style, than maybe you should try contax T Series or nikon 28 of 35 Ti.

iamasaint said:
My take on this?

Which other field of photography will offer all of the following? In no order of importance...

1) True joy and love displayed by the subjects
2) Happiness, dedication, commitment of all involved
3) Ang Bao all year round
4) Making lots of new friends
5) Getting contacts to do other fields of photography
6) Sharks fin all year round (Altho I strongly am against consuming of sharks fins...thanks to Ling the merciless's inspirational video)
7) A pat on the back from your employer (the couple) for a job well done

There are many more to list...but its already 1am...anyways...you get what i mean. Wedding photography is not as mundane and boring as it sounds. Sure its hard work and thats why is even more important you enjoy doing what you do. And i do hope the points above illustrates why some of us are in wedding photography...=)

Cheers!

Well said Kelvin, it saddens me when so many photographerd treat something so monumental in a couple's life as a mere event. So many photographers have this misconception that weddings are just a quick meal ticket but to me it's a passion.

espn said:

I never encounter shark's fin on 3rd/4th dish....... :think:

thoa_rs said:
Well said Kelvin, it saddens me when so many photographerd treat something so monumental in a couple's life as a mere event. So many photographers have this misconception that weddings are just a quick meal ticket but to me it's a passion.

my passion for AD wedding photography was dead..................its to me more like earning $$$, but i will not give sub standards pics, i still shoot my best, but, passion is dead and need a long break to recover. :cry:

question: wat about your work?

Answer: its a pack of useless lies......................

question: wat about your passion?

Answer: its dead and buried in the past..............

I think starting is passion, after long time sian liao. Eg, when I studied programming at school, fun, working for few years enjoyed coding. NOw coding is so sian! :angry:

Harry Potter said:
I think starting is passion, after long time sian liao. Eg, when I studied programming at school, fun, working for few years enjoyed coding. NOw coding is so sian! :angry:
i enjoy reading harry potter but after book 3 also sian liao. Now book 6 can't be bothered :bsmilie:

seriously, our passion will be reflected on the photos taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.