Newbie with a new hobby

Welcome to CS! I strongly recommend not buying from IT fairs as the prices are normally higher. While they provide more 'freebies', the higher price pretty much equates to you paying for them.

I would strongly recommend a 400D... in fact, I'm using one right now! Should cost around $400 with battery grip in b&s. I would advise that you det a cheap body and a excellent lens. Depending on your budget (Since you quoted that you gone on a business trip, I will assume that you should be able to accept a budget of up to $5000), if you have a big budget, I would recommend the following canon system: 400D+grip, EF 24-105, EF 100-400, EF-S 10-22mm UWA. Total should set you back around $5000 if you buy all second hand, with filters included. Should be the perfect set for the starter :eek:

:nono: Going on business trips does not mean I have a high budget on this hobby. Me only a poor sales person.

:) since I am still new to this and is not a fan of second hand items, I guess I'll have to be careful and buy only the basic for now. Uhmm is it really necessary to buy so many lens for a start?

Hi, welcome to CS.
You should first decide what you plan to shoot and what budget. Then look at the pros and cons of the camera models when it comes to your requirements.

My advice to you as you are new to photography is to first try your hand out with one of the superzoom bridge cameras. They give you quite a level of manual control to begin with and are relatively cheap compared to the DSLRs or EVILs. One you are sure that this hobby is something that interests you, you can go for better cameras.

This would help you cut your losses if you figure photography is not for you. Further you will also get an idea of what you like photographing and hence which camera and lens system could cater to it better.

All the best.

Quite a dummy question. What is superzoom bridge cameras?
May I know which brand and model of camera has superzoom bridge.

My intension is to get a simple camera and not too big in size. If I really do not like this hobby, I can still use the camera for celebrations and holiday trips etc....

:nono: Going on business trips does not mean I have a high budget on this hobby. Me only a poor sales person.

:) since I am still new to this and is not a fan of second hand items, I guess I'll have to be careful and buy only the basic for now. Uhmm is it really necessary to buy so many lens for a start?
Hmm... Well the 3 lenses give the best, sharpest & widest range... If you're not a fan of carrying a lot of stuff & willing to forgo excellent glass I'll recommend the 18-200 lens... But watch out for the heavy distortion on the 18mm side :)

Welcome.

You should buy a simple camera.

Quite a dummy question. What is superzoom bridge cameras?
May I know which brand and model of camera has superzoom bridge.

My intension is to get a simple camera and not too big in size. If I really do not like this hobby, I can still use the camera for celebrations and holiday trips etc....

Hi again,

Good to know you are doing some research and not just going BBB. :)
Superzoom bridge cameras are the ones which are one step up from the Point-n-Shoots and have quite a few manual options but come with fixed lenses which are not interchangeable.

Examples are the fujifilm HS10 (http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs10/) and canon SX20IS (http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/products/compact-cameras/powershot/powershot-sx20-is).
They both weigh about 600g all told and cost is around 500-700 sgd (not sure of current prices).

While they are much smaller than DSLRs, they are a lot bigger than the PnS because of the high zoom lens and are not pocket size. The EVILs like the Panasonic GF2 will give you a similar size with the depending on the lens choices, but for the same range of zoom and macro you'll be paying a lot more due to lens cost.

Whichever you choose to buy, try out the body before you buy it. Ergonomics is very important when you are trying to take handheld snaps at low light conditions.

All the best.

Another "bridge" model to consider is the Panasonic FZ-100.

On the other hand, if big zoom doesn't appeal to you, you can try an advanced compact camera. Examples are Panasonic LX-5, Canon S95 (or G12 if you can accept a bigger size one) and Nikon P7000 (can't remember the exact model). They have photo sensors (the digital equivalent of film) that are much larger than the usual compact camera, and offer much more control over the settings. Plus they are a lot cheaper than DSLR cameras, and are also much lighter.

If you eventually decide to go to DSLR, these cameras hold their value quite well and fetch a reasonable price on the used market.

As others have mentioned before, the APS-C sensor is typically found in DSLRs.

The Samsung NX10 and NX100 and Sony NEX3 and 5 also have APS-C sensors inside, so the image quality is pretty good and the body is compact compared with DSLRs.

micro 4/3rds cameras use a smaller sensor. These are the Panasonic G series and Olympus E series right now. However they will be far superior to the bridge cameras in terms of image quality.

I have the Samsung NX10. I think it's a superb camera and combines very well with it's 30mm/F2.0 pancake lens. The handling, battery life and general performance is very good. I highly recommend it.

I am also looking at cameras for new hobbies, preference compact or shall I say in the mould of micro four thirds. I don't like lugging around with pro cameras that is too big. Read about cameras and all I still feel ah toot. But my superior ask me go for canon,nikon and sony. My budget is around 700-800.

I am also looking at cameras for new hobbies, preference compact or shall I say in the mould of micro four thirds. I don't like lugging around with pro cameras that is too big. Read about cameras and all I still feel ah toot. But my superior ask me go for canon,nikon and sony. My budget is around 700-800.

I believe the GF2 is in that price range.

Buy the camera you want/like. Your superior is not going to be the one using it.
I'm more of a DSLR form factor user, I like it's ergonomics, but you should try out the cameras figure which feels good in your hands. Good luck bro.

I believe the GF2 is in that price range.

Buy the camera you want/like. Your superior is not going to be the one using it.
I'm more of a DSLR form factor user, I like it's ergonomics, but you should try out the cameras figure which feels good in your hands. Good luck bro.

Errmm I saw GF1 is around 1k plus overall haha, but I like Sony NEX 5 but don't really know whats the overall difference between 5 and 3. And samsung website the NX100 has iFunction lens again is a new thing so I am blurred vision on all these cameras now. DSLR is out of my range to start a hobby now cause my pay is 1k plus so DSLR is abit out of budget hehehe.

Errmm I saw GF1 is around 1k plus overall haha, but I like Sony NEX 5 but don't really know whats the overall difference between 5 and 3. And samsung website the NX100 has iFunction lens again is a new thing so I am blurred vision on all these cameras now. DSLR is out of my range to start a hobby now cause my pay is 1k plus so DSLR is abit out of budget hehehe.

Some DSLR costs cheaper than mirrorless cams..
Look around.. take a look at pentax.. capable and affordable..
:)

Don't listen to those "Special lenses" that come in the compact cameras... It's just a gimmick. They simply increased the DOF so that you'll get bokeh...

Some DSLR costs cheaper than mirrorless cams..
Look around.. take a look at pentax.. capable and affordable..
:)

Pentax saw K-R or K-X tad too heavy and bulky although read threads that they selling at recent IT show at around 500plus 600.

Don't listen to those "Special lenses" that come in the compact cameras... It's just a gimmick. They simply increased the DOF so that you'll get bokeh...

Eerrmm What you mean by special lenses? Is it the iFunc Lens that samsung trying to bundle? Was actually looking at Harvey Normans Olympus 799 but not sure is it EP2 or latest EP PL1.Micro four third is also easy for me to start out. As far as sensor things I still need to do homework on ISO and aperture things right? Was abit curious but my colleage got some got canon and one special guy got NEX 5 makes me sniffing around hahaha

Pentax saw K-R or K-X tad too heavy and bulky although read threads that they selling at recent IT show at around 500plus 600.

Eerrmm What you mean by special lenses? Is it the iFunc Lens that samsung trying to bundle? Was actually looking at Harvey Normans Olympus 799 but not sure is it EP2 or latest EP PL1.Micro four third is also easy for me to start out. As far as sensor things I still need to do homework on ISO and aperture things right? Was abit curious but my colleage got some got canon and one special guy got NEX 5 makes me sniffing around hahaha
The other day I was browsing a newspaper when I saw an ad by Samsung advertising a compact camera with DSLR-type lenses giving dslr quality from a compact... Not sure about model though.

The other day I was browsing a newspaper when I saw an ad by Samsung advertising a compact camera with DSLR-type lenses giving dslr quality from a compact... Not sure about model though.

Ya I think is the new one NX100 slim compact type with ifunc lens which I also don't really know what it does.

Ya I think is the new one NX100 slim compact type with ifunc lens which I also don't really know what it does.
Apparently they made the aperture wider... You can compare it to a kit lens modified to have a wider aperture I think.

Apparently they made the aperture wider... You can compare it to a kit lens modified to have a wider aperture I think.

Ok so whats the better kind for training and upstart purposes? PnS type or get a superzoom?
Got budget leh hope don't break if not my :bheart: sia. Usage would be for scenary and if can go oversea like follow army go reservist can also use. Check around in dpreview afew choice but head is spinning hahaha

Ok so whats the better kind for training and upstart purposes? PnS type or get a superzoom?
Got budget leh hope don't break if not my :bheart: sia. Usage would be for scenary and if can go oversea like follow army go reservist can also use. Check around in dpreview afew choice but head is spinning hahaha
Best will be to get a cheap DSLR like the 350D, it's a very good start. Should set you back around $200 for the body 2nd hand over here in b&s... Or if its too bulky get the Powershot G9. It has a 10x zoom... Saw it in b&s for $400+...

huh? "Don't listen to those 'special lenses'"? never heard anything of/from them. "increased the DOF so that you'll get bokeh"? to get de-focused backgrounds you decrease the DOF. :dunno:

do you know that the S2050NB has a different focal length than the S1855SB? in terms of aperture, they are arguably similar, F3.5-5.6, just that one may be brighter than the other at a particular focal length. and no, i'm not a samsung user, all this can be found out by a search or just going to samsung's webpage.

the answer to your question about the iFn button, only available for iFn equipped lenses, is below:

3. UNIQUE - Both lenses incorporate a iFn button on the lens barrel with a rotating ring that allows adjustments of EV+/- , Aperture settings, WB and ISO for quicker on-the-fly adjustments to settings while shooting.... after a while it is a totally cool feature
4. There are 3 ways to adjust ISO, WB .... a bit of overkill... via lens barrel iFn button, on the main control dial and through the regular Main Menu

for the hands on review of the Samsung NX100 by ed9119 click here

simon6z, for the purposes that you've mentioned, a simple/mid-range compact will do. If you were to "follow army go reservist", a compact is much much easier to take care and worry free than a bag with a dSLR body and lenses. how're you going to bring your dSLR outfield? you'll have to worry about rain protection. with a compact, you can slip the compact inside a zip-lock and shove it inside the field pack or SBO.

Do note that compacts are capable of good image quality as well, be it for landscapes, portraits etc.

hope this helps in correcting the misinformation. =) take your time and do proper research before committing.

Last edited: