Newbie Needs Help on: Comparing between Entry-Level DSLRs, DSLR Photo-taking Queries

Thank you all for the prompt replies! :)

Hope this is not against the rules, but Snapsort says (refer to link below) that D5100 has no image stabilization - what does this mean?

Also, understand from Snapsort's rankings (same link) that A55 is ranked 9th, even lower than its Canikon counterparts - I don't really understand why, aside from the differences in viewfinders. As mentioned, A55 does possess many attractive features over Canikon. Anyone can enlighten me? Thanks :)

snapsort.com/explore/best-entry-level-dslrs/24-months-recent

Frankly... don't trust all these ranking sites... any ranking site are either pro some brands and con others. So you tend to see some of them ranking certain brand at the top of the world while hammering others down like they are junks. In actual case, these are not real.

People take excellent photos using Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Panasonic and Olympus.

As for the image stabilization system, it is extremely important for some people, but not as important for others... it all depends on you and what you are taking. For Sony, Pentax and Olympus, these system came build into the body, so you can use lens without the image stabilizing system (IS for Canon, VR for Nikon, OS for Sigma, VC for Tamron).

And A55 is an excellent camera - although as many would have stated, it would have some lost in light, but seriously do these lost in light really matters? It would for some photographers but it is a non-issues for others. So it all depends on your style and genre of photography.

And like I say in my previous post, all camera brand design and made good cameras. You would have to ask yourself what features you wanted most for your camera, then zoom in on the brands and models of camera that offer you tat feature, then go down to the shop and test out these cameras to see if you are comfortable with the cameras.

No use buying a camera so packed with features but all of them hidden and you need a genius to unlock them or with so many features but all of them perform averagely or below average... or getting a camera that look on paper that seemed like a gift from heaven, but in the end, you do not like the ergonomic, menus layout, weigh, whatever.

While checking out the brands/models, do give Pentax a look too! (e.g. Pentax K-r, K-x)

I think the K-r dual kit lens kit (18-55, 50-200) is abt 1.1k

Thanks all again. :D

Just to confirm, is the price of the A55 $1250 (as stated in Sony's website - I am aware that the price will +/- a little depending on the retailers in SG)? This price includes the lens right? What about freebies like neck straps, batteries, lens caps, Sony bag (as like what Nikon offers an original Nikon Bag). Do we get this in addition to other freebies offered by retailers? Haha sorry I know these questions are really noobish.

Just to confirm, is the price of the A55 $1250 (as stated in Sony's website - I am aware that the price will +/- a little depending on the retailers in SG)? This price includes the lens right? What about freebies like neck straps, batteries, lens caps, Sony bag (as like what Nikon offers an original Nikon Bag). Do we get this in addition to other freebies offered by retailers? Haha sorry I know these questions are really noobish.

Yeah, it should be about 1180 at places like MS Color, etc. It's the price with the kit lens. Neck strap, the lens cap, the battery is ALWAYS included in the kit.

As for a bag/memorystick, not sure - these would fall under the freebies sony tells retailers to include, or what they include themselves.

If you live in the north, call up MS Color, and ask them for a deal and what they include. If you are talking to a guy, ask him if Florence can give you a good deal.

If you wanna go to ms color, rmb to ask for an e-quote, print it out and show it to the cashier before making any payment.

If you wanna go to ms color, rmb to ask for an e-quote, print it out and show it to the cashier before making any payment.

Nope, that's for Cathay. MS Color very rarely replies to e-quotes, they work best by calling by phone and asking for Florence.

MachCurve said:

Usually neck straps and lens caps are not consider freebies and will definitely be included with the kit and that includes one battery as well. As for the bag, I'm not sure, you have to check with the shop

Usually neck straps and lens caps are not consider freebies and will definitely be included with the kit and that includes one battery as well. As for the bag, I'm not sure, you have to check with the shop

If not, I have a freebie OEM bag lying around (Lowepro knock-off) that I can give him. Otherwise I'll just throw it away. :p

Rashkae said:
If not, I have a freebie OEM bag lying around (Lowepro knock-off) that I can give him. Otherwise I'll just throw it away. :p

Haha :thumbsup:

yeah, you can get $1100 street price. Go check it out on the usual recommended shops.

comes with kit lens. but you can sell away the kit lens and get another lens. it will fall within your budget at the end of day. you can even think of getting Minolta lens, which are way better.

Personally i'm using Minolta 28-85, and i love it like hell. IQ much better than kit lens anytime. and its not even expensive.....

Most importantly, you MUST go down and test demo the A55, and make sure you like it first. We all say its good, doesn't mean you will like it too.

Last edited:
honestly... i don't bother to read much into SnapSort reviews. read dpreview. they're more unbiased and fair.

Yup. The more your read Snapsort, the more you will get yourself blur!

Hi guys!

Sorry for not replying for so long! I was caught up with exams over the past few weeks. Anyway, I'm actually quite keen on buying the Sony A55. With SITEX 2011 coming up in a couple of days, would you all recommend me to buy then or to buy from a shop? - Thanks! :)

FYI: I am definitely going to buy a DSLR anytime before or around the 1st week of December - after quite a bit of research and queries here and there.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Sorry for not replying for so long! I was caught up with exams over the past few weeks. Anyway, I'm actually quite keen on buying the Sony A55. With SITEX 2011 coming up in a couple of days, would you all recommend me to buy then or to buy from a shop? - Thanks! :)

FYI: I am definitely going to buy a DSLR anytime before or around the 1st week of December - after quite a bit of research and queries here and there.

As usual, most of us will NOT recommend you to get from any PC Show, Sitex, Comex etc. Get it from the recommended shops as listed in the Price Guides. Thou some are more recommended than the rest of the shops in the list.

Hi guys!

Dont bother to go IT fair

Just go to funan those recommended shop. Lesser people, and you can take your time to test the camera

Hi guys!

Generally SITEX deals are CRAP. However, sometimes they're quite good. Wait till thursday night/friday to see what the deal is. If you can get it with a 50mm f/1.8, dry cabinet (NOT dry box) and, say, a 16GB card then it might be worth getting at Sitex.

Hi guys!

Go to the Sitex show if you like being squeezed by the crowd... and getting more expensive stuff + lots of useless freebies (unless these freebies include a good dry cabinet - note: dry cabinet and not dry box).

Just go to a reputable shop, even on Sitex's period... you will get out of the crowd, get things cheaper and if the freebies are from Sony and not the dealer themselves, you will still get it if you buy from a shop. But you might want to wait till Sitex to get a better deal from the shops.

And while you are at it... why don't you wait a while more and check out the A77 or A65? These two cameras are of newer technology and better in term of sensor, fps, etc... especially the A77.

Last edited: