New to DSLR...to get or not to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats what i'm doing now. But over time, that shirt + cam will be a bit too much on days where you have to bring more books (student here) to school, esp when you're using a sling. thus i'm looking at crumpler sinking barge.

Nonetheless, i used to never take photos. Now i bring my cam everywhere cause i now see opportunities everywhere.

When you stated " Now I bring my cam everywhere cause i now see opportunities everywhere", you got me really interested and curious. Do you have an online photo collection that I can view?:)

thats what i'm doing now. But over time, that shirt + cam will be a bit too much on days where you have to bring more books (student here) to school, esp when you're using a sling. thus i'm looking at crumpler sinking barge.

Nonetheless, i used to never take photos. Now i bring my cam everywhere cause i now see opportunities everywhere.

I am a student too. Books ah...very seldom bring coz bring liao also leave in car only:bsmilie:

Which shop would you recommend to me with regards to getting the camera? Used to buy 2 of my old cameras from Alan Photo @ Sim Lim. Thought their services and stuff are of a so-so standard to me and I feel a little intimidated everytime i go there .

Can try j3:16 or e-quote with cp. AP in funan give pretty competitive price, just that the botak middle age man is a bit unfriendly.

No matter which shop you go, just remember to stick to whatever you intended to buy, regardless of what the shop try to tell you or recommend you. Even if you are tempted because they show you xxx is so much better than what you wanted to buy, please go home and do your research before making the decision.

I am a student too. Books ah...very seldom bring coz bring liao also leave in car only:bsmilie:

Can try j3:16 or e-quote with cp. AP in funan give pretty competitive price, just that the botak middle age man is a bit unfriendly.

No matter which shop you go, just remember to stick to whatever you intended to buy, regardless of what the shop try to tell you or recommend you. Even if you are tempted because they show you xxx is so much better than what you wanted to buy, please go home and do your research before making the decision.

Sorry, what does CP stand for? Cathay Photo? And what does " AP in funan give pretty competitve price" mean? Is that good? :embrass: Does Funan's AP and Sim Lim's AP sell things at the same prices? Which would be cheaper actually? Ok, I will remember not to approach the botak middle aged man if I am there and I need help :)

p/s: Sorry for all the questions

nope... sometime they dun sell the same price... do some research on clubsnap before you go down..

Quotes will vary, for some, there might even be a difference between calling them vs emailing them.

"REPUTABLE" SINGAPORE DEALERS

CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Main) Tel: 6337-4274
CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) Tel: 6338-0451
CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) Tel: 6338-7783
CP - Cathay Photo, Marina Tel: 6339-6188
MS - MS Color, Tel: 6457-6380
TK - T.K. Foto Technic, Shaw Tower Tel: 6269-4533
LC - Lord Camera, Lucky Plaza Tel: 6235-4605
PA - Parisilk, Holland Tel: 6466-6002
PA - Parisilk, Nee Soon Army Camp Tel: 6452-1593
PA - Parisilk, Bedok Tel: 6441-6066
JO - John 3:16, Funan Tel: 6337-2877
ES - East Gear, Peninsula Tel: 6837-1582
TCW - The Camera Workshop, Peninsula Tel: 6336-1956
AP - Alan Photo, Funan Tel: 6883-0922
AP - Alan Photo, SimLim Tel: 6336-0922
OP - Orient Photo, Sim Lim #06, Tel: 6339-1035

i notice sometime Harvey Norman selling cheap during show as well ... perhaps you want to research more..

I did a lot of research before I get my 1st DSLR...

the best is check out the price before going to any shop, with the info on hands the sales guys won't able to chop u much. apart from sweet talk u..;p

Am in the simailar situation with imliz, a panasonic FZ28 user thinking of upgrading to dSLR. Am holding off any purchase till the new Lumix GF1 hit the market. Its micro 4/3 system and has a compact size body....wouldn't that be nice?

Sorry, what does CP stand for? Cathay Photo? And what does " AP in funan give pretty competitve price" mean? Is that good? :embrass: Does Funan's AP and Sim Lim's AP sell things at the same prices? Which would be cheaper actually? Ok, I will remember not to approach the botak middle aged man if I am there and I need help :)

Guess you have found the short tags and the long names already.
Sim Lim is a battle ground for prices. In order to beat the competition certain shops don't hesitate to go into grey areas or even cheat people straight away. Shops at 2nd level are "famous" for that, you can read the stories here. Although shops have a similar name they act independently and - don't forget: the sales people have their space to maneuver in the price range. So there are a lot of variable factors and it's best to consider all shops of AP as individual shops. Personally I got one lens from AP SL, price was average and service ok. But after two different bad encounters I stay away from it. OP at 6th floor is a shop were a customer is respected and appreciated.

Quotes will vary, for some, there might even be a difference between calling them vs emailing them.

"REPUTABLE" SINGAPORE DEALERS

CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Main) Tel: 6337-4274
CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) Tel: 6338-0451
CP - Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) Tel: 6338-7783
CP - Cathay Photo, Marina Tel: 6339-6188
MS - MS Color, Tel: 6457-6380
TK - T.K. Foto Technic, Shaw Tower Tel: 6269-4533
LC - Lord Camera, Lucky Plaza Tel: 6235-4605
PA - Parisilk, Holland Tel: 6466-6002
PA - Parisilk, Nee Soon Army Camp Tel: 6452-1593
PA - Parisilk, Bedok Tel: 6441-6066
JO - John 3:16, Funan Tel: 6337-2877
ES - East Gear, Peninsula Tel: 6837-1582
TCW - The Camera Workshop, Peninsula Tel: 6336-1956
AP - Alan Photo, Funan Tel: 6883-0922
AP - Alan Photo, SimLim Tel: 6336-0922
OP - Orient Photo, Sim Lim #06, Tel: 6339-1035

Thanks Ah Bian ;)

Am in the simailar situation with imliz, a panasonic FZ28 user thinking of upgrading to dSLR. Am holding off any purchase till the new Lumix GF1 hit the market. Its micro 4/3 system and has a compact size body....wouldn't that be nice?

The GF1 looks really cute and compactable. However, the body looks a little hard to hold if a large lens is attached to it.:dunno:

Guess you have found the short tags and the long names already.
Sim Lim is a battle ground for prices. In order to beat the competition certain shops don't hesitate to go into grey areas or even cheat people straight away. Shops at 2nd level are "famous" for that, you can read the stories here. Although shops have a similar name they act independently and - don't forget: the sales people have their space to maneuver in the price range. So there are a lot of variable factors and it's best to consider all shops of AP as individual shops. Personally I got one lens from AP SL, price was average and service ok. But after two different bad encounters I stay away from it. OP at 6th floor is a shop were a customer is respected and appreciated.

Thank goodness, I NEVER shop at Sim Lim's second floor. Really hate the way humans act or the things they do just to get sales from customers :nono:. What bad encounter did you experience at AP SL? So far, everytime i go there, I will look for the same salesman who sold my first camera to me. Been to OP before too. However, if compared to AP, they don't seem to have much choices. So far I've heard many good comments about John's services...maybe I'll drop by soon :)

ask your wallet... see if he needs a slimming session :)

if he is already aneroxic ...

better not lol

What bad encounter did you experience at AP SL? So far, everytime i go there, I will look for the same salesman who sold my first camera to me. Been to OP before too. However, if compared to AP, they don't seem to have much choices. So far I've heard many good comments about John's services...maybe I'll drop by soon :)

I really dislike it when I come closer than 2m to a shop and I get "greeted" with "Yes, Sir. Want a camera, Sir?", only topped by "Yes, my friend?" :ipuke: :mad2:
When asking for a filter they pretend not to have but offer some cheaper "alternative" for nearly the same price (Vitacon). That's trying to pull a fast one. I don't need this. I don't mind a honest discussion but for me shopping is not permanently fighting off sales men and their con skills, that's wasting my time and annoying. It just shows their "appreciation" for customers who finally fill the sales men's rice bowl. My personal opinion about AP, others might have different views.

ask your wallet... see if he needs a slimming session :)

if he is already aneroxic ...

better not lol

Haha, thats a cute one :bsmilie:

I really dislike it when I come closer than 2m to a shop and I get "greeted" with "Yes, Sir. Want a camera, Sir?", only topped by "Yes, my friend?" :ipuke: :mad2:
When asking for a filter they pretend not to have but offer some cheaper "alternative" for nearly the same price (Vitacon). That's trying to pull a fast one. I don't need this. I don't mind a honest discussion but for me shopping is not permanently fighting off sales men and their con skills, that's wasting my time and annoying. It just shows their "appreciation" for customers who finally fill the sales men's rice bowl. My personal opinion about AP, others might have different views.

Yeah, have seen/ read about some bad experience people have at AP. Have not happened to me YET...but who knows....:dunno: lol

most of the shop is able to ask for equote.. although places like CP and MS will take sometime to reply you..

John is the best... everytime next day reply... best response always.

most of the shop is able to ask for equote.. although places like CP and MS will take sometime to reply you..
John is the best... everytime next day reply... best response always.

For MS make sure you use the online form provided at the website. Personal email might get stuck in the spam filters.

The GF1 looks really cute and compactable. However, the body looks a little hard to hold if a large lens is attached to it.:dunno:

Dont think m4/3 lens are large. I dont have any legacy lens so dont have to worry about using them with an adaptor on the GF1. Using them will be disproportionate, as you rightly observed.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.