New Superzoom Challenger - 8 megapixel Samsung Pro815

Status
Not open for further replies.
mpenza said:
you'll need to spend a lot more money to cover the same range though. And 28mm is quite a bit wider compared to 35mm.

But the main thing would be the performance of the production units. If the image quality is good, noise control at high ISO is acceptable, and the camera is quick and responsive, this would be an interesting alternative (to other prosumers).

Hmmmmm...with D50, it is way below S$1,800 with kit lens, I believe, and if zoom lens is required, a typical 70-300mm f3.5-6.3 will be good enough to cover it, total should still be around the same range, isn't that right?

Unless we are talking about D70D70s, where the body itself already cover almost S$1,800, then that is a different story all together.

Also, can always wait for Nikon to come out with the promotion, such as a S$80 for the 70-300mm lens leh... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

jbma said:
I personally think the major drawback would be the price. At this price a DSLR would be a better choice considering Samsung is practically unknown in photography. The noise factor is debatable. But the 28mm is a welcome thing as far as prosumer is concerned.

Absolutely agree that price is the main set back for this Samsung cam. :thumbsup:

While 28mm is desired, we can alway add on a WCON to achieve it, that certainly will cost us less than S$1,800 with the full package for whatever prosumer cam that we are getting, aren't that right? :dunno:

JimDavis said:
I found 2 set backs here:

1. There is no OIS or equivalent. You will need tripod to take any zoom photo.
2. Though the battery is 1,900 mAh, the 3.5" TFT LCD will kill the battery in no time, unless you do not use the LCD at all.

Did they say 15X Optical zoom? but look at the lens range: 28mm-420mm, isn't 420mm same as my good old FZ10 - 12x Optical zoom only?? Did Samsung spec it wrongly? :dunno:

With the price of S$1,800, you may be able to get over to the Dark side, buy a D50, where you will be able to enjoy even better photo-shooting experience?

ermz they quoted CIPA standard of up to 500 shots. that requires the LCD to be on 50% of the time. dun think they will dare cheat on this. means their battery/circuit is very efficient, or LCD not that bright.
FZ20 CIPA standard, only 200+ shots..

someone mentioned already.. 420mm is not a multiplier.. 420/28 = 15x
note 70 - 300 f3.5-6.3 is just not as good as 420mm f2.2 - f4.6
to get such a lens, you NEED to spend $1800+++++

heh as for the price, let's wait for it to be announced, and reviews to be out.
For all you know, it may perform way above the 1000+ DSLRS and give much better photos. (don't think so lar..)
and the price.. it's just speculative ya.. not confirmed yet.. just a guess/estimate.

unseen said:
ermz they quoted CIPA standard of up to 500 shots. that requires the LCD to be on 50% of the time. dun think they will dare cheat on this. means their battery/circuit is very efficient, or LCD not that bright.
FZ20 CIPA standard, only 200+ shots..

someone mentioned already.. 420mm is not a multiplier.. 420/28 = 15x

heh as for the price, let's wait for it to be announced, and reviews to be out.
For all you know, it may perform way above the 1000+ DSLRS and give much better photos. (don't think so lar..)
and the price.. it's just speculative ya.. not confirmed yet.. just a guess/estimate.

Hmmmm....need to see the real thing liao...but again, if the price is really at S$1,800 range, dun think so is worth it lar...

haha anyway i pui at the price already.. really audicious hor.. 1st time in the market and then "overprice" the product le..
hope panasonic won't do the same to their upcoming DSLR

unseen said:
haha anyway i pui at the price already.. really audicious hor.. 1st time in the market and then "overprice" the product le..
hope panasonic won't do the same to their upcoming DSLR

Ya man...I am holding on to my FZ10 hoping to replace with a more powerful zoom FZ-series by year 2006, if you know what I mean.... ;)

I dun think so I want to get Pana DSLR lar...it is 3/4 lens, same as Oly, but it will be tough change from my dark one....

JimDavis said:
Spend $1,800 just to get 28mm? I can use the difference in $$ to get a good wide angle lens to attach to my Pana cam...can get 28mm, or even more....such a Oly WCON, which will not go beyong S$500, I believe...

YEa no need even $500! I've got one for sale at $200! hhahaha :rolleyes: shamless plug yes yes... =)

Anywae i think it would be priced to match a F828 and that similar range.. FZ series, Pro1 and so on...

Edit:
Hey.. i just realized this is in the pana forum... eh cool... dint know.. replied so many times summore. :p

moos blues said:
YEa no need even $500! I've got one for sale at $200! hhahaha :rolleyes: shamless plug yes yes... =)

Anywae i think it would be priced to match a F828 and that similar range.. FZ series, Pro1 and so on...

Let's all wait and see...but without OIS or equivalent, 15X is as good as nothing, else, you will need to super-glued the cam to a tripod and make sure it has remote shutter as accessories...better still IR remote shutter control. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

jbma said:
I personally think the major drawback would be the price. At this price a DSLR would be a better choice considering Samsung is practically unknown in photography. The noise factor is debatable. But the 28mm is a welcome thing as far as prosumer is concerned.

Yes.. Samsung may be new in photography..
In years before year 2000 samsung was not good in anything and almost go bankrupt. Look at where they are now.
Do you know there is a dedicated department occupying a whole floor in the HQ of Sony of which they job is to study and monitor everything about Samsung?

Don't see the Korean no up hor.. ;)
just my 2cts worth.

Sukoo said:
In years before year 2000 samsung was not good in anything and almost go bankrupt. Look at where they are now.
Do you know there is a dedicated department occupying a whole floor in the HQ of Sony of which they job is to study and monitor everything about Samsung?

just my 2cts worth.
wow..

Sukoo said:

just my 2cts worth.

With the 15X zoom, of course they are being seen very the up...but my point is, without IS/OIS/VR(which these 3 meant almost the same thing in laymen's term), it is as good as nothing, and with that kind of price (S$1,800), I certainly can get much better than their new camera.

So, unless they have IS/OIS/VR equivalent thing, and price is competitive with other Prosumer cam, they will still not there yet...

I think better off with any entry level dSLR wif a starter lens. Less than or equals $1800 ... ...

wrx_sti_22b said:
I think better off with any entry level dSLR wif a starter lens. Less than or equals $1800 ... ...

I truely agree!

JimDavis said:
With the 15X zoom, of course they are being seen very the up...but my point is, without IS/OIS/VR(which these 3 meant almost the same thing in laymen's term), it is as good as nothing, and with that kind of price (S$1,800), I certainly can get much better than their new camera.

So, unless they have IS/OIS/VR equivalent thing, and price is competitive with other Prosumer cam, they will still not there yet...

I'm not siding Samsung lah.. agreed from the specs it still looks lacking in certain areas... but I guess its a good start. Big players also occasionly come out with some sub standard products.
The 15X zoom signified that they are ambitious.. even Sony can feel the heat, Samsung is certainly not a no brainer.

I heard they are making cars in Korea too. Its a matter of time we see Samsung SUV or MPV ruunning on Spore Street.
Sorry side track liao...

As for the stability at tele-zoom issue I guess it was addressed in the report..

"The High speed mode provided by the Pro815 ensures steady shooting even in tele-zoom. The camera has a highsensitivity 2/3" CCD and a large high-performance lens. When High speed mode is selected, the Pro815 automatically increases the sensitivity up to max ISO 800, depending on the surrounding exposure and focal length. Employing an exclusive low-noise processing algorithm, the Pro815 ensures superb image quality with low noise, even at ISO 800. In addition, in High speed mode, a faster shutter speed enables sharp shooting of fast moving targets."

Maybe we should wait for the review.

Relax guys,

I personally find samsung LCDs monitor quite good... i guess it is how much the R&D wants to put into that area... Like panasonic camera, so got alot of flaws mahz, but pple still buying them mahz... If samsung is really serious into cameras, and willing to put money into researching on cameras, they might have a camera even then pana cameras...

Well the pricing now is still a specuation...? Must see how much when the product is launch mahz...

With a lens reaching up to 15x Optical zoom, there is likelihood that the images will be distorted and not very sharp. I know some Korean lens makers who have come up with quality lenses in the past but it is unlikely that they can match the standards of Leica/Zeiss/Schneider. So let's see how the reviews turn out. One thing is for sure .... they have the edge over the FZ where the sensor is concerned ....2/3". ;p

JimDavis said:
Hmmmmm...with D50, it is way below S$1,800 with kit lens, I believe, and if zoom lens is required, a typical 70-300mm f3.5-6.3 will be good enough to cover it, total should still be around the same range, isn't that right?

Unless we are talking about D70D70s, where the body itself already cover almost S$1,800, then that is a different story all together.

Also, can always wait for Nikon to come out with the promotion, such as a S$80 for the 70-300mm lens leh... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

too bad no IS, but how is a d50 a better buy?
find me a SLR range f2.2-f4.5 with 28mm - 420mm. :bsmilie:
and it's got a really funny topview LCD, shoots videos.

Zenten said:
With a lens reaching up to 15x Optical zoom, there is likelihood that the images will be distorted and not very sharp. I know some Korean lens makers who have come up with quality lenses in the past but it is unlikely that they can match the standards of Leica/Zeiss/Schneider. So let's see how the reviews turn out. One thing is for sure .... they have the edge over the FZ where the sensor is concerned ....2/3". ;p

but the acclaimed German lenses are those that dun zoom much either... look at the Sony f828's T*(!!) lens.. still crap

denizenx said:
but the acclaimed German lenses are those that dun zoom much either... look at the Sony f828's T*(!!) lens.. still crap

Too bad ..but look at the FZ's Leica 12X ...... :thumbsup:

Sony DSC F707/717 , 828's precedent models also very good. :thumbsup: Why 828 :thumbsd: ? :dunno: Maybe not the lens but the cam body no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.