New Products for M43 in 2021

Relax and keep cool. Take 3 steps back and don't get carried away by paid flatterers who sing praises on YouTube videos (as per their contract).
Ignore the false claims based on dubious "internal survey" that includes B2B delivery of products from manufacturer to retailer ware house counted as "sold".
Use your common sense and reject the hype. Spend your money wisely.

Yes that's the wise thing to do. Wait and see.

Yes, this is what everyone should do. After reading some reviews or watching some YouTube videos, I always make it a point to take a trip down to a shop and test out the equipment. For Olympus, I even joinned their workshops and use the equipment before buying. My EM5 Mk3 and 40-150pro are all tested at Olympus workshops and I only purchase them when they meet my expectations.

In the case of the Sony 7c, I only managed to test it at a Sony showroom and I am glad I did, because the bundled 28-60 lenses really did not meet my expectations, but the 7C did perform quite well with other G-Lenses. In the end, I stick to the popular choice of getting the Sony A7Riii for my son.

Don't keep saying the sales figures are false claims. etc. If they are, you think other manufacturers will not dispute and expose them.
Like most of us, we take it with a pinch of salt but to keep disputing every good sales report of M43 without evidence only shows that
you are having sour grapes. After all, almost all of us don't go and buy Olympus products based on those sales reports.

Relax and keep cool. Take 3 steps back and don't get carried away by paid flatterers who sing praises on YouTube videos (as per their contract).
Ignore the false claims based on dubious "internal survey" that includes B2B delivery of products from manufacturer to retailer ware house counted as "sold".
Use your common sense and reject the hype. Spend your money wisely.

I use a Full Frame Pentax system, but used Olympus EM5 and EM5II as well. Just last year I bought NOS Panasonic Lumix GX8 with 12-35/2.8 brand new from Harvey Norman. I like that it is small and light for travel and am slowly looking at more lenses to add to the system. I will use what is available and not worry too much about all these rumours. We should just enjoy our photography journey.

Just saw this on FB..

Maybe Oly is cheap.

She does not know her em1 mk2 is a pro camera and the battery is bigger and last a full day shoot compared to other olympus cameras. Her channel is about olympus, Fuji and film. Good luck to her ( putting herself in a delicate situation. )

Wow! $600 (even in US$) is a damn good bargain for a used EM1 Mk2.
Can definitely satisfy any amatuer, serious hobbyist and even Pros.

I would have gotten one too but I like something lighter with about 90% of the features of the EM1 Mk2., My EM5 mk3 :)
I paid more than S$1300 for it BNIB....

Just saw this on FB..

Maybe Oly is cheap.

56 companies make up the Micro Four Thirds consortium, so it is doubtful that they are all just going to abandon it. Both Panasonic and OM Digital Solutions have publically said that they will continue to develop and enhance their Micro Four Thirds product line-ups. ( from Newsshooter report). February 20th. 2020 saw 3 new companies that joined the
M43 consortium. Looks like M43 is not dead yet.

Olympus can survive if it gets it's act together. It's autofocus is worldclass.

If you only buy a camera body and 2 lenses, use it for 20 years - and never buy any other system "stuff".
Then you need not worry about what brand you buy.
You capital loss is minimal.
Restricted to one small expenditure every 20 years.

But if you plan to start and build a SYTEM and continue to spend a lot of money buying more lenses and camera bodies.
Flashes + all kinds of system accessories.
The pile of money begins to increase to a scary big amount.
Then better think carefully about the sensor size.

My opinion is MFT will surely die. Just like PCs with 8086 CPU were superseded by PCs with better CPU.
It is not an IF.
But when.

Either JIP pulls the plug after 1 year and rips up OMDS.

Or Panasonic gives up MFT - letting MFT die a quiet death by not talking about it anymore.
Exactly the death by silent treatment that Sony inflicted on its ill fated A mount.

Last edited:
If sensor size is the most impt factor, then why didn't the 400mp Hasselblad H6D-400C or the 150mp PhaseOne XF IQ4 150MP
become best sellers? Instead the humble Olympus EM10 because the best seller in Japan!

The big question a potential buyer need to us is, besides the price, is the camera system practical for my intended use?

I brought my tiny Olympus EM5 with a few lenses on all my overseas trip, but some of my friends of Canon & Nikon DSLRs left their systems behind saying it is too heavy to carry and just use their mobile phone.

Use for 20years? Did you use your camera for 20 Years?
Are you still using 20 years old lenses?

Build a camera system that cost a scary big amount?
Not sure what you meant by scary amount......
90% of camera users only have 2 to 3 lenses anyway. A Sony System with 2 G lenses probably cost about $10K to $15K,
about the cost of a family trip to Europe or Japan. If you sell the system after 5 years, you may lose about 50% ($7.5K)

My Olympus system with 6 lenses costs less than $7.5K.
But I think I will bring it around more often and have higher utilization these 5 years:)

Anyway, to bring back the topic of this track, I will definitely upgrade my Olympus body, hopefully in 2022 if it continues to be reasonably light for my trekking trips.
The other path I may go is I may get the heavy Em1x mk 2 for birding, once I have the time to join my friends.

Cheers.

If you only buy a camera body and 2 lenses, use it for 20 years - and never buy any other system "stuff".
Then you need not worry about what brand you buy.
You capital loss is minimal.
Restricted to one small expenditure every 20 years.

But if you plan to start and build a SYSTEM and continue to spend a lot of money buying more lenses and camera bodies.
Flashes + all kinds of system accessories.
The pile of money begins to increase to a scary big amount.
Then better think carefully about the sensor size.

My opinion is MFT will surely die. Just like PCs with 8086 CPU were superseded by PCs with better CPU.
It is not an IF.
But when.

Either JIP pulls the plug after 1 year and rips up OMDS.

Or Panasonic gives up MFT - letting MFT die a quiet death by not talking about it anymore.
Exactly the death by silent treatment that Sony inflicted on its ill fated A mount.

It has been 13 years since 2008.
In computing/digital tech, even a few years is a generational change.

For some things there will always be die hard fan boys.
That is normal. For example, some still like to shoot film.
But that did not help prevent Kodak from collapsing as a business.
Minority of fan boys world wide, are not in sufficient numbers to halt the tide of technology improvement.

Nothing personal about the expected fading away of MFT.
This change is also known as
Progress.

Last edited:
Why are you still bringing up Kodak? Kodak's failure was mentioned is not the advancement of technology. Please go dig that history. Why are you not looking at your own nick? Ricoh is now only survived by the brand Pentax. Will they be around in say 20 years?

There is another thread which discuss the future of M43 and you have been posting there.

Now sure why when I started this new thread on New Products for M43, you jumped in
and start blaring the same old stuff again (YAWN). A lot of us here are in photography for
more than 10 or 20 years. We have seen film cameras, Yashica, Minolta all became obsolete
Don't keep repeating the same stuff again. Tell us something we do not know in the other thread..

No offence, you can continue to blare in the "Future of Olympus" thread.

But please keep this thread for New Products for M43 being launched in 2021 :)

It has been 13 years since 2008.
In computing/digital tech, even a few years is a generational change.

For some things there will always be die hard fan boys.
That is normal. For example, some still like to shoot film.
But that did not help prevent Kodak from collapsing as a business.
Minority of fan boys world wide, are not in sufficient numbers to halt the tide of technology improvement.

Nothing personal about the expected fading away of MFT.
This change is also known as
Progress.

Panasonic is announcing more "add-ons" with its coming GH6.
This proves that Panasonic sees potential in the M43 business.

Especially when Olympus also announced a WOW camera
(probably Sony new 30mp sensor and with AI) in 2022.

M43 is not going to die so soon but look very exciting the next 1 to 2 years!

If the 150-400mm f4.5 or the 100-400mmf6.3 sell really well, an updated EM1X will be on the pipeline for sure.

Last edited:
I hope someone makes that multiplier for all the lenses. Let us decide if it's usable with loss of 1 stop but X1.4 on focal length

There should be something in the pipeline. Sony mentions a 47mp sensor.

Then there is the Sony Backlit sensor. I was expecting that in the EM1mk3. It may be the next mk4 or Xii

A stream of new products coming in namely GH6 (exciting) Ep-7 (not sure why this is launch), 8-25mmf4 pro (good wide-standard addition) , Laowa 7.5mm Version 2 (Exciting).

Other confirmed things in the pipeline:
Panasonic 25-50 f/1.7

My guesses:
OMDS 100mm macro
OMDS EM1.4 (I can’t think of any other products that might use the 20MP stacked 4/3 sensor other than maybe a G9 II)

Not only is M43 still alive, it is also kicking strongly!

Panasonic Leica has just released another lens with a Unique Zoom Range @ F1.7.
The new Panasonic 25-50 @F1.7 (equivalent to 50 to 100mm @F1.7 is a good companion
to the earlier 10-25mm @F1.7, which most videograhers find it useful for indoors video shooting.